A look at offensive line recruiting

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Georgia Tech has addressed needs for the future at B-Back, A-Back, and Quarterback in my opinion... Lucas Johnson, Tobias Oliver, and James Graham give Tech great options at QB. A-Back and B-Back are loaded for the future with Tijai Whatley, Dontae Smith, Cottrell, Benson, Mason, Howard, etc. Plenty of great players to run the ball, with Whatley and Smith being great athletes with high-level speed.

But are the needs of the offensive line addressed? Not that offer lists and star ratings are the end-all, but it is interesting that a vast majority of Tech offensive line recruits recently hold no high-major offers except Tech.

Connor Hanson - Offers from Coastal Carolina, Samford, Marshall, Western Kentucky, Furman, Florida A&M, etc
Charlie Clark - Offers from Tulane, Florida Atlantic, Army, and Georgia Southern
Michael Minihan - Offers from Idaho, Hawaii, Nevada, San Jose State, and UNLV
Michael May - Arkansas State, Eastern Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, Georgia State, Troy, Tulane, NEBRASKA
Harrison Jump - Fordham, Mercer, Marshall, Samford, Western Carolina
Jahaziel Lee - Listed as a defensive end in HS with offers from Nichols State, Mcneese State, and LA Lafayette

Parker Braun - Offers from Florida, Miami, Missouri, Ohio State, Auburn, Arkansas, Stanford, Tennessee, West Virginia, etc.

Guess which one is the best player?

For comparative purposes, the 2014 offensive line:
  • Bryan Chamberlain - Offers from Clemson, Georgia, Louisville
  • Trey Braun - Offers from Georgia Tech, Arkansas, South Florida, UCF, Illinois, East Carolina
  • Freddie Burden - Offers from Georgia Tech and Florida
  • Shamare Devine - Offers from Georgia Tech, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi State, USC
  • Errin Joe - Offers from Georgia Tech, Florida State, Duke, Illinois, Michigan, South Carolina, UCLA, Texas Tech, Stanford, Missouri, Louisville

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Kenny Cooper was committed to WKU before flipping to Tech. He's turned out fairly well, I'd say.

Worth noting though that when he was committed to WKU, they were one of the top G5 programs.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech has addressed needs for the future at B-Back, A-Back, and Quarterback in my opinion... Lucas Johnson, Tobias Oliver, and James Graham give Tech great options at QB. A-Back and B-Back are loaded for the future with Tijai Whatley, Dontae Smith, Cottrell, Benson, Mason, Howard, etc. Plenty of great players to run the ball, with Whatley and Smith being great athletes with high-level speed.

But are the needs of the offensive line addressed? Not that offer lists and star ratings are the end-all, but it is interesting that a vast majority of Tech offensive line recruits recently hold no high-major offers except Tech.

Connor Hanson - Offers from Coastal Carolina, Samford, Marshall, Western Kentucky, Furman, Florida A&M, etc
Charlie Clark - Offers from Tulane, Florida Atlantic, Army, and Georgia Southern
Michael May - Arkansas State, Eastern Kentucky, Florida Atlantic, Georgia State, Troy, Tulane, NEBRASKA
Jahaziel Lee - Listed as a defensive end in HS with offers from Nichols State, Mcneese State, and LA Lafayette

Parker Braun - Offers from Florida, Miami, Missouri, Ohio State, Auburn, Arkansas, Stanford, Tennessee, West Virginia, etc.

• Trey Braun - Offers from Georgia Tech, Arkansas, South Florida, UCF, Illinois, East Carolina
  • Shamare Devine - Offers from Georgia Tech, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi State, USC
  • Errin Joe - Offers from Georgia Tech, Florida State, Duke, Illinois, Michigan, South Carolina, UCLA, Texas Tech, Stanford, Missouri, Louisville

In fairness, you did leave out Shaq Mason in 2014 who's now one of the key OLs for New England Patriots and just signed a massive extension last offseason. He had no D1 offers at the time we offered him.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Right... I am pointing out a "majority" of the recent offensive line recruits... When a good portion of the 2014 and earlier offensive lines were made up of talent that was more sought after in the recruiting process. They have done a good job with guys like Shaq and Kenny Cooper, but thats not the point of the thread.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

So 6 is a vast majority? Off the top of my head, I know Will Bryan, Andrew Marshall, Zach Quinney and others had major schools offer them as well.

I'm not saying we don't need to do better on OL recruiting, but this post seems a bit hyperbolic.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So 6 is a vast majority? Off the top of my head, I know Will Bryan, Andrew Marshall, Zach Quinney and others had major schools offer them as well.

I'm not saying we don't need to do better on OL recruiting, but this post seems a bit hyperbolic.

I'm not happy with CPJ, and I think it's time for a new vision for our football program, but people need to stop with the selective data to fit the narrative. IMO, the product on the field will be the ultimate judge. No need to leave data out to make your argument better. There's no hiding stuff on the internet!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm not happy with CPJ, and I think it's time for a new vision for our football program, but people need to stop with the selective data to fit the narrative. IMO, the product on the field will be the ultimate judge. No need to leave data out to make your argument better. There's no hiding stuff on the internet!

I'm not entirely soured on CPJ as of yet, though this season could easily lead me in that direction. My bigger issue with the OL is that we can't seem to retain the depth necessary there. I just get frustrated when people cherry pick stats to drive a narrative.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm not entirely soured on CPJ as of yet, though this season could easily lead me in that direction. My bigger issue with the OL is that we can't seem to retain the depth necessary there. I just get frustrated when people cherry pick stats to drive a narrative.

Yup...just to be clear, I was agreeing with you.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Working off of the roster found here, these are the OL recruits inherited in '08:

Nick Claytor (4-star) - By far the best recruit. Offers from Auburn, Florida State, Ohio State

Andrew Gardner (3-star) - Offers from Duke, Furman, Navy, Wake Forest
Clyde Yandell (3-star) - Offers from Northwestern, N.C. State, Maryland (seems Connecticut chose not to offer)
Joseph Gilbert (3-star) - No other reported offers; interest from Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Vanderbilt
Jason Hill (2-star) - Offers from Kentucky, UNC, South Carolina, Ok State.
Cord Howard (2-star) - Offers from UAB, Louisville, Ole Miss
Dan Voss (2-star) - Offers from Princeton and Vanderbilt
Zach Krisch (unranked) - No additional offers reported

Walk-on/Info not listed:
Andrew Folkner - Walk-on
Chase Hudson - Walk-on
Michael St. Denis - No ranking or offers listed.
Drew Brannon - No ranking or offers listed.
Alex Paqutte - No ranking or offers listed.
Jeff Lentz - Long Snapper

Converted to OL from another position:
David Brown (3-star) - 255 lbs. converted to OL. Offers from Alabama, Notre Dame, Georgia, and Vanderbilt at DE.
A.J. Smith (2-star converted DE) - 235 lbs. converted to OL. Offers from BC, Connecticut, USF at DE.
Austin Barrick (3- star TE) - 242 lbs. converted to OL. Offers from Clemson, Colorado, Duke and UAB at TE.
Brad Sellers (2 star DE) - 255 lbs. converted to OL. Offers from Nebraska, Miami, Duke at DE.

Not sure of any transfers that took place on the OL between '07 and '08.

CPJ brought in the following OL recruits in his first year:
Omoregie Uzzi (4-star) - Offers from Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Duke
Nick Mcrae (3-star) - Ole Miss, Maryland, NC State
Phil Smith (2-star) - Offer from Penn State

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just my opinion do we really need to call out player because of who they had an offer from they we don't like. Getting a player to sign a scholarship is a two way street , you want them and they want to come here.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

As I think about this post, I wonder whether the OL been the problem this year? OL did well against USF. Against Pitt, the OL came out flat but they did their job in the second half, and they were not responsible for the turnovers. Against Clemson, who has the best defensive line in the country, they struggled. I think our bigger weaknesses are turnovers and kicking (not including punting). Turnovers can be fixed, kicking, not so much.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I might add that we often recruit players who blow up in their senior year and who play in spread option offenses (Clark). We take projects too (Jump), largely because we think they'll work out. Sometimes they do (Andrew Gardener); sometimes they don't. Unless you are OSU or Bammer, that's what you end up doing. Recently, we've been recruiting a lot of DLs that we turn into OLs. That slows down development - a lot of those people need a redshirt year just to get their minds right about their new role. Oth, it also means that we get some pretty good athletes.

I think our main problem on the OL has been career ending injury. Stickler is just the latest example. We've also had transfers, usually by people who get beat out (duh). This year we have the same problem we had last year - nagging injuries that prevent developing continuity on the OL. Oth, Hansen did ok against the Tiggers - I was watching him - and we have a lot of real big people coming up. Long term I don't think we have a problem here.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I might add that we often recruit players who blow up in their senior year and who play in spread option offenses (Clark). We take projects too (Jump), largely because we think they'll work out. Sometimes they do (Andrew Gardener); sometimes they don't. Unless you are OSU or Bammer, that's what you end up doing. Recently, we've been recruiting a lot of DLs that we turn into OLs. That slows down development - a lot of those people need a redshirt year just to get their minds right about their new role. Oth, it also means that we get some pretty good athletes.

I think our main problem on the OL has been career ending injury. Stickler is just the latest example. We've also had transfers, usually by people who get beat out (duh). This year we have the same problem we had last year - nagging injuries that prevent developing continuity on the OL. Oth, Hansen did ok against the Tiggers - I was watching him - and we have a lot of real big people coming up. Long term I don't think we have a problem here.

Great.... because if this isn't a problem long term than the pieces are in place. The QB's look great, the RB's look great, and if the line comes together the offense will be in fine shape.

Excellent research.

It is also tough when they are coached by a guy teaching dirty techniques, and that guy has no worries about accountability or results.

Of course he has no worries - he's doing exactly what CPJ wants him to do. It's why Sewak doesn't get fired. These dirty blocking techniques aren't on Sewak - they're on CPJ.

One of the biggest issues is his oline recruiting. He try’s to find fits instead of the best. He also wants smallish linemen, and we see what happens when we face a solid dlinemen.

agreed. He still thinks a GSU/Navy smallish brand of football can win at this level. Worse, he seems determined to prove that it can, all evidence to the contrary