A look at Joey Bart

herb

Helluva Engineer
Many thanks, Fred, for the updates on Bart.

I believe the Giants will bring Bart up to the bigs this year.

I wish he would have started in Augusta for just a few games. I read an interview from the Giants GM somewhere and he all but said he would not be coming up this year, I don't think they want to start his clock running until next year.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, the Giants have Buster Posey signed up through 2021 at $21.4 million per year, with a club option for 2022 at $22 million with a $3 million buyout.

Barring any injury to Posey this year (2019), I still think it’s possible for the Giants to bring up Bart at least late in the current season, just to see how Bart handles MLB pitching.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wish he would have started in Augusta for just a few games. I read an interview from the Giants GM somewhere and he all but said he would not be coming up this year, I don't think they want to start his clock running until next year.
Yeah... my main reason for trying to keep up with his progress is I'd like to see him in Richmond (Giants AA affiliate) should he end up there for any stretch.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
While we’re discussing Joey Bart, I came across this article about the new emphasis on defensive catchers in MLB in the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/01/sports/mlb-catchers.html

Analytics for catchers? It makes me wonder if the Giants are studying Bart in this way.

The article also states that Bryce Harper started out as a catcher, but was moved to the outfield because of his hitting prowess.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

What clock? I would have guessed MLB contracts were for a certain number of years, regardless of where you played.

herb

Helluva Engineer
What clock? I would have guessed MLB contracts were for a certain number of years, regardless of where you played.

You are under team control until you reach 6 full years of service time. A year in baseball is 172 days on the roster. There are actually more days, but you are capped at 172. That is what all the hubbub about Kris Bryant, etc was, the teams kept them in the minors until they could earn less than 172 days on the roster and that season would not count against the 6 because it would be less than a full year. Also, the top 22% of 2nd year’s are what are known as super 2’s and get to arbitration a year early. So service time is carefully watched by the teams

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You are under team control until you reach 6 full years of service time. A year in baseball is 172 days on the roster. There are actually more days, but you are capped at 172. That is what all the hubbub about Kris Bryant, etc was, the teams kept them in the minors until they could earn less than 172 days on the roster and that season would not count against the 6 because it would be less than a full year. Also, the top 22% of 2nd year’s are what are known as super 2’s and get to arbitration a year early. So service time is carefully watched by the teams

Thanks. Indentured servitude is alive and well ........ but at the amount they make, sign me up!! Beats my past military pay.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

Which is why I am impressed that the Mets, who have been, shall we say, financially stingy since the Bernie Madoff situation, had Pete Alonso on their roster to start the season. Current GM was an agent last year, regularly stated that Alonso would have an opportunity to start the season with the club if he earned it, and he earned it. So far the decision to bring him north has paid off, with Alonso hitting .412 with 3 2B, 1HR, 2 BB, and 6 RBI in the first 4 games. Seeing as how we (the Mets) play 19 of our first 24 games against NL East teams, they couldn't really afford to keep one of their best players down for the first 2 weeks to manipulate salary 6 years down the road.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
From MLB's top prospect performers from Thursday:

Giants: Joey Bart, C (No. 1, MLB No. 22) -- 3-for-4, HR, 3 RBIs (Class A Advanced San Jose)
Bart has hits in five of the seven games he's played this season and is hitting .321 with two homers in the early stages of his full-season debut. Bart, the Giants' 1st-round pick from last year's Draft, hit .294 in 51 games last season.

Reds: Taylor Trammell, OF (No. 2, MLB No. 16) -- 4-for-5, RBI (Double-A Chattanooga)
Make that four straight multihit games for Trammell. The 21-year-old has hits in five straight games and is hitting .417 early in the year, his first at the Double-A level.

For those who don't know Trammell, he was a GT recruit that was drafted and signed, in the second round I believe.