54, 60, 48, 44, 51

Joeb21

Jolly Good Fellow
That's the ranking of our last 5 recruiting classes (i.e - the players on the field for this season). There's a reason our offense has been effectively shut out 3 years in a row against UGA (not to mention what Clemson has been doing to us), no matter who the X&O coaches were. Nobody is surprised when one of those teams massacres say ... Vanderbilt or NC State or something, but we've recruited even worse than those programs.

We have bottom tier P5 talent, and play a top tier P5 schedule - we had a few year breather in the late '00s / early '10s where UGA and Clemson were both pretty average as well, but that's over. There isn't a fix for that other than going out and getting some Jimmies and Joes.

Our first top 25 class since 2007 (you know, the class that made up the core of the '08 and '09 teams we remember so fondly) is coming in this offseason. Hopefully there will be several more to build a base a talent that gives us a chance to compete.
Just a SPOT-ON post! Recruiting is not the only thing, but it is the biggest and most important thing in college football. Just look at the top 10 teams every year. Yes there are exceptions every now and then but for the most part, the teams with the best players win the most games. It’s common sense. I am so glad the days of embarrassing 67th ranked classes sandwiched in between Western Carolina and Marshall are behind us.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So basically we sucked more than we should have sucked. hahaha. I lurk around here a lot but I had to weigh in here. Guys, we have crappy talent to do what we want to, AND, we were learning to do this for the FIRST TIME!!! Double wammy!!! It's not enough, for this year primarily, to say "well why didn't we beat such and such team if we our recruiting was better than them". Keeping in mind it was for a TOTALLY different system. The other team was well versed in their system. Again, this year we can't make that claim.
I was thinking we should be favored over temple until I looked at the number of underclass men and the number of Temple players in nfl . We have 11 and they have 20.
When defending our scheme the old coach used to say if you have the talent , the league will find u.

Joeb21

Jolly Good Fellow
I was thinking we should be favored over temple until I looked at the number of underclass men and the number of Temple players in nfl . We have 11 and they have 20.
When defending our scheme the old coach used to say if you have the talent , the league will find u.
Correct, and the league has found very few of our players over the past 5 years or so.

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
It's sad, but I think we can't compare ourselves with UGA to start. We need to get our size and speed up to VT/Miami level first. UGA outsizes SEC opponents, so making comparisons with them in year one or two of CGC's tenure is really unfair.
We beat VT and Miami last year. We beat Miami this year.

Regardless of the VT blowout win this year, they aren't miles in front of GT in the size and speed department.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My biggest worry is that we made a Gregory-type hire. A modestly successful coach from a level below us that we could afford. Not that we had a lot of choice; we're not going to be able to pay enough to lure a top-tier coach or even a 'hot' up and comer.
Just the first year, so we can't make any real judgements, but first impressions weren't great. I hope Collins succeeds, but I also hope we don't spend 4 years < .500 before we once again reach the 7-9 win level or, worse, spend that time and don't make it back to that level

This is a valid point. It's entirely possible we hired the Brian Gregory of football. It's also possible we just hired someone who will take us to the promised land. All we can do is wait it out and cheer for the team.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As a response to the OP, your point is well made. Since we have decided to run the same offense as the "big boys" we now have to recruit with the big boys. CGC needs to keep this class together and finish top 30 for the year, and in the next three years he needs to start cracking the top 20. Otherwise, we are still going to struggle to beat the big boys we play every year. Can CGC do it? I sure hope so. Early signs are positive.

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
Those teams that play well above their recruiting rankings are usually playing large numbers of upperclassmen, especially on the lines.

Below are the linemen that would have been R-Sr thru Jr/R-So
2015 Defense:
Anree Saint Amour - graduated 2018
Brentavious Glanton
Kyle Cerge Henderson - graduated 2018
Trent Sellers - left team

2015 Offense:
Will Bryan - graduated 2018
Scott Morgan - left before season
Brad Morgan

2016 Defense:
Jordan Woods - transfer
Emmanuel Bridges - transfer
Brandon Adams - RIP
Chris Martin
Desmond Branch - graduated 2018

2016 Offense:
Parker Braun - left team
Kenny Cooper - played 4 games before injury
Jahaziel Lee - played 3 games before injury

2017 Defense:
Jaquon Henderson
Cortez Alston - transferred
Kelton Dawson
Antwan Owens

2017 Offense:
Mikey Minihan - missed significant time this year
Zach Quinney
Connor Hansen
Boe Tufele - left team
Charlie Clark

That's a lot of experience that we didn't have to help this year.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is the data some of you are speculating about. 247 totals the recruiting values of the current rosters:

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Tech's current roster rates 45th in talent (up from 50th in 2018), not as bad as you might think. 10th in the ACC between Duke and VA. Interestingly, 1 loss Utah is #47, 2 loss Minnesota is 46th. talent isn't everything

Our highest rated players are mostly Freshmen or Transfers. Our (11) outgoing seniors average a rating of .8356. Our incoming 22 commits average .8645. For perspective, Wake comes in at #66 with a team average of .8366, VT is at #29 with a team average .8646. Don't know who else will leave, but basically we're on pace to wind up with a team talent rating next year in the low 30s, 6th or 7th in the ACC. A couple more classes like 2020 is looking and we could be 4th or 5th in the ACC comparable with UNC and VT, behind Miami, FSU and Clemson.
Thank you BCJacket for presenting just the facts and not all the emotional crap we sometime see here on the board. A couple of excellently recruiting years and better O game plans we will get a lot better. I actually think our D coaching was pretty good this year. The D spent too much time on the field. I also thank you BC for all of your data and analysis on GTs spending on football and how it correlates to actual results. If everyone on this board paid attention to that and acknowledge our dismal spend rate we would have less polarization

JackD

Georgia Tech Fan
So what
Temple 80, 59,119,83,105.
UVa 50, 63, 58, 59, 39

Recruiting is important but it takes more
FSU 3,3,6,11,19
Didn’t their QB transfer in though? Not sure how that stuff works for the recruiting rankings.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
On average, the weight of our recruits was only 5 pounds less then Gailey. I did another post and the sum of our starting oline and dline was within two pounds of UVA this year (and that is including us playing walk-ons). We are definitely smaller than most people we compete against, but the hyperbole is strong in these people.

I work with athletes on a near-daily basis. Before they come in I google their height/weight to get an idea of their size, but when they come in I get their height/weight on my on calibrated scale/stadiometer. While there are a lot of factors at play (offseason vs. in season, injured vs. healthy), I've seen some weights off by as much as 40 lbs and heights off by 5".

Fact: most male athletes lie about their height ("Naw, man, this machine's broken ... I ain't 6'7", I'm at least 6'10" ...")
Fact: most female athletes lie about their weight ("There's no way I'm 127 pounds ... here, let me take this hair clip off, that should get me to my listed 122.")

So when Collins says we're the 112th-smallest team of the 65 P5 teams (yeah, I scratched my head at his math, too) is he exaggerating? When we see that our listed OL's weight is only 2 lbs within UVA and VT ... is our media guide exaggerating? Somewhere in between is the truth, I imagine.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I work with athletes on a near-daily basis. Before they come in I google their height/weight to get an idea of their size, but when they come in I get their height/weight on my on calibrated scale/stadiometer. While there are a lot of factors at play (offseason vs. in season, injured vs. healthy), I've seen some weights off by as much as 40 lbs and heights off by 5".

Fact: most male athletes lie about their height ("Naw, man, this machine's broken ... I ain't 6'7", I'm at least 6'10" ...")
Fact: most female athletes lie about their weight ("There's no way I'm 127 pounds ... here, let me take this hair clip off, that should get me to my listed 122.")

So when Collins says we're the 112th-smallest team of the 65 P5 teams (yeah, I scratched my head at his math, too) is he exaggerating? When we see that our listed OL's weight is only 2 lbs within UVA and VT ... is our media guide exaggerating? Somewhere in between is the truth, I imagine.
It always seemed to me that everyone lied about weight. Are we assuming that GT lies more than other schools? I don’t see what CPJ era GT had to gain by exaggerating more than other schools, and considering the narrative CGC proposes, I don’t see why we would exaggerate more now either.

As for within two pounds of uva O Line, we were not. I believe we were 10 pounds less on o line. Our defense line out weighed them though.

I’m not trying to make it seem like our team is big. uga averaged 320 pounds on the line according to their media guide, and we don’t even have a player listed at 320. So we certainly are small compared to uga, but apart from Clemson, I don’t know if we are really at an incredible disadvantage in the ACC. I didn’t look up the weights of everyone we played, so maybe the weight discrepancies really are terrible.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

It always seemed to me that everyone lied about weight. Are we assuming that GT lies more than other schools? I don’t see what CPJ era GT had to gain by exaggerating more than other schools, and considering the narrative CGC proposes, I don’t see why we would exaggerate more now either.

As for within two pounds of uva O Line, we were not. I believe we were 10 pounds less on o line. Our defense line out weighed them though.

I’m not trying to make it seem like our team is big. uga averaged 320 pounds on the line according to their media guide, and we don’t even have a player listed at 320. So we certainly are small compared to uga, but apart from Clemson, I don’t know if we are really at an incredible disadvantage in the ACC. I didn’t look up the weights of everyone we played, so maybe the weight discrepancies really are terrible.

My apologies, but I forgot which team I had looked up. It was a comparison of GT and VT lines that I had done:
Ok. I am not going to put this reply to anyone specific. People keep repeating how undersized we are as justification for how poor we have played. I don't dispute that we are being beaten in the trenches, but I wanted to quantify how undersized we are.

VT OL:
View attachment 7258
GT DL:
View attachment 7259

GT OL:
View attachment 7260
VT DL:
View attachment 7261

Based on data, we give up 10.6 pounds when comparing offensive lines, but are 13 pounds bigger on the defensive line. There is only a 2 pound difference total.

I am not going to say that we won't become a better team by getting bigger and stronger athletes, but it seems to me we are just using size as an excuse right now.

I realize that plenty of teams exaggerate their sizes, I just don't think there is evidence to suggest we exaggerate more than others.

Jacketsfan99

Georgia Tech Fan
That's the ranking of our last 5 recruiting classes (i.e - the players on the field for this season). There's a reason our offense has been effectively shut out 3 years in a row against UGA (not to mention what Clemson has been doing to us), no matter who the X&O coaches were. Nobody is surprised when one of those teams massacres say ... Vanderbilt or NC State or something, but we've recruited even worse than those programs.

We have bottom tier P5 talent, and play a top tier P5 schedule - we had a few year breather in the late '00s / early '10s where UGA and Clemson were both pretty average as well, but that's over. There isn't a fix for that other than going out and getting some Jimmies and Joes.

Our first top 25 class since 2007 (you know, the class that made up the core of the '08 and '09 teams we remember so fondly) is coming in this offseason. Hopefully there will be several more to build a base a talent that gives us a chance to compete.
We have just GOT TO GET an Offensive Line if we hope to compete --every great team has had a great Offensive Line - there's just no way around it !

True2GT

Georgia Tech Fan
What's funny here is that when it's convenient, CGC guys say the recruiting has been bad. And then when someone says well it's the coaches job to coach up players, they conveniently blame injuries. You can't have both. Last time I checked, Tech had several historically great seasons with this level of recruiting. Tech isn't the only one either. Look at Wisconsin, Baylor, and Utah. Minnesota also comes to mind. So it's not all recruiting, it's mostly coaching.

Recruiting certainly helps and I'm very glad that it's on an uptrend, but to blame this seasons struggles purely on recruiting is just passing the buck and extremely short sighted.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What's funny here is that when it's convenient, CGC guys say the recruiting has been bad. And then when someone says well it's the coaches job to coach up players, they conveniently blame injuries. You can't have both. Last time I checked, Tech had several historically great seasons with this level of recruiting. Tech isn't the only one either. Look at Wisconsin, Baylor, and Utah. Minnesota also comes to mind. So it's not all recruiting, it's mostly coaching.

Recruiting certainly helps and I'm very glad that it's on an uptrend, but to blame this seasons struggles purely on recruiting is just passing the buck and extremely short sighted.

BS. We are playing walk-ons and FR on both DL and OL. Look at the above recruiting info. We have no upperclass linemen. That's on the previous regime. You expect coaching to level the field with walk-ons and FR? It's about talent.

True2GT

Georgia Tech Fan
BS. We are playing walk-ons and FR on both DL and OL. Look at the above recruiting info. We have no upperclass linemen. That's on the previous regime. You expect coaching to level the field with walk-ons and FR? It's about talent.
Why are the walk ons and freshmen playing?

Also losing Parker Braun is a recruiting miss in my eyes for CGC.

Losing Brandon Adams is a tragedy, but again shows the cupboard was definitely not bare on either side.