54, 60, 48, 44, 51

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Look I like CGC hope he makes it at Tech . But now a days the only reason to give any head coach a contract for 7 years is stupidity. If you can't tell after 5 years you do not need to be an AD at a D1 school.

Or because that's the market rate for this kind of turnaround job. Stupidity would be making a classic GT decision (Gailey, Brian Gregory) of going cheap and ensuring a mediocre program instead of paying market for a good coach. I'm sure a coveted position such as Ohio State or Alabama can get away with offering shorter terms, but getting a quality coach into a program that is moving away from the option takes a commitment from both sides.

Deleted member 2897

Look I like CGC hope he makes it at Tech . But now a days the only reason to give any head coach a contract for 7 years is stupidity. If you can't tell after 5 years you do not need to be an AD at a D1 school.

I’m sure you know that contract length only is partially related to how long you intend to keep a coach before evaluating change.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
My magic 5 and 7 sucks only slightly less than 3 and 9. To be honest, I think recruiting is much more of a crap shoot than the rankings would indicate. A lot of success in college football is built around team chemistry, things like playing complimentary football and a lot of intangibles that just happen to fall in the right place on any given year. I definitely think Coaching and leadership play a big role and can take average talent and lift it to achieve better results. I like Collins and his philosophy. I hope he succeeds. For now all we can do is hope that a lot of the intangibles fall our way and Collins proves to be a great Coach.

Go Jackets!

LibertyTurns

Banned
Gleason is a 3 star QB, who had a uga offer among many others. Graham was a 4 star athlete who other schools did not see as a QB at this level. Graham was rated by people thinking he would play DB or WR in college. Doesn't mean he can't be good, but there is a distinction.
I think if the mutt wanted to sign Gleason he’d be driving a new car by now. They’re signing 4* and 5* QBs and suddenly they have a desire to ink a 3* QB? C’mon man, the kid may turn out to be a good QB but he’s the 30th ranked Pro style QB and the 54th ranked QB overall. Mutt signed #5. There’s a difference there.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Pruitt got six at UT.

Fact: At the first meeting with Letterman, Pruitt said there was not one player at UT that Alabama wanted. And if UT was serious, it meant a 100% roster flip. Result? Six year contract.

We need talent. Talent attracts other talent. We’ll get there.

Note: I just watched Rudy. Devine is talking about how tough Georgia Tech is. I’m optimistic.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

5 probably would have been sufficient, but we still have 4 more years until we even get that far so maybe we should give it a bit longer. You never just let a head coach's contract just run completely out before making a change, anyway. It would be too bad for recruiting. I'm encouraged by the improvement in recruiting so far. And I'm encouraged by the attitude on this team. Obviously there's going to be a gap between improved recruiting and improved performance. We're in the deepest part of that gap right now.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
We may indeed sign a top 25 class but if you look at the class it’s sprinkled with linemen and we only have one that shows over 300 lbs.

Compare that with the other schools. They are signing 330-350 lb linemen coming in.

It will take 3 classes and a lot of development before we see a significant change on either line.

Not complaining just pointing out that we aren’t going to see an immediate impact from this upcoming class on the field. Maybe the biggest impact will be oddly enough in recruiting reputation.

BTW if stars do mean anything Gleason is a 3 star “athlete”, I’m pretty sure Graham was a 4 star “athlete”
That part's not necessarily true, 16 of the top 20 offensive linemen according to 247sports are under 310 lbs. And 13 of those aren't even 300 lbs. You are right when you say it will take time to get freshmen OL and DL players up to P5 level, but a large number of 330+ lb linemen coming out of high school and being highly regarded isn't as common as you might think. We will definitely need the transfer portal for our Oline and Dline to bridge the gap more quickly.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
So what
Temple 80, 59,119,83,105.
UVa 50, 63, 58, 59, 39

Recruiting is important but it takes more
FSU 3,3,6,11,19

Most everyone will agree coaching and player development is every bit as important as recruiting, but you need both to succeed consistently. Tech’s recruiting classes aren’t balanced and we don’t have experience at important positions. Look at UVAs record the last five years with those recruiting classes:

4-8
2-10 - Bronco Mendenhall’s first year
6-7
8-5 - Bryce Perkins first year
9-3

UVA hasn’t been consistently good. Bronco Mendenhal’s starters are primarily upper classmen this year and they have a fifth year senior QB that transferred to UVA in 2018, which is why they are playing so well. I wasn’t overwhelmed by the athletes they have, but I’d be happy with that progression of improvement.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That looks like average talent that will struggle to compete against really good teams but hold their own against others and blow out FCS teams. Not incredibly awful talent that will get blown out by average teams, lose to FCS teams and struggle to even get a first down against good teams. We are going to need better talent and better coaching than what we have seen so far.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is the data some of you are speculating about. 247 totals the recruiting values of the current rosters:

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Tech's current roster rates 45th in talent (up from 50th in 2018), not as bad as you might think. 10th in the ACC between Duke and VA. Interestingly, 1 loss Utah is #47, 2 loss Minnesota is 46th. talent isn't everything

Our highest rated players are mostly Freshmen or Transfers. Our (11) outgoing seniors average a rating of .8356. Our incoming 22 commits average .8645. For perspective, Wake comes in at #66 with a team average of .8366, VT is at #29 with a team average .8646. Don't know who else will leave, but basically we're on pace to wind up with a team talent rating next year in the low 30s, 6th or 7th in the ACC. A couple more classes like 2020 is looking and we could be 4th or 5th in the ACC comparable with UNC and VT, behind Miami, FSU and Clemson.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think if the mutt wanted to sign Gleason he’d be driving a new car by now. They’re signing 4* and 5* QBs and suddenly they have a desire to ink a 3* QB? C’mon man, the kid may turn out to be a good QB but he’s the 30th ranked Pro style QB and the 54th ranked QB overall. Mutt signed #5. There’s a difference there.

Dwags who are supposedly in the know said his offer was conmittable at one point. Still, an offer is an offer and my only point was Graham would have been unrated or 2 star if the sites evaluated him strictly as a QB.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Let’s look at a board favorite Matt Rhule

Last minute 2017: 34
2018: 32
2019: 33

7/12 of the offense from these classes are that is now 11-1 squad.

Like said, we need to get on equal footing size and talent and I’m positive we will sign 95% of this current class that help substantially with that

stech81

Helluva Engineer
So you would've preferred a 5 year contract? What do you do going into year 5 then?
You have to be kidding? After year 2 you look at the program in your opinion do you see an Improvement in the program . Yes add a year to his contract , no call him in your office and let him tell you what he needs to help. Wait till next year. Year 3 would be critical after this you have to add to his contract or you would be making it hard on recruiting for him players may feel with only 2 years he would not be there their 4 years. After year 3 you should know if he is the right person for the job. A coach should be re-evaluated each year let the AD know his plans what he wants to do. Odds are if an AD does not do this than the school picked the wrong AD. If you own a company are you going to let the president go 7 years without asking questions? I had to answer question every year and explain how I was going to make the company more profitable. Why would a head coach not have to explain things?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
That part's not necessarily true, 16 of the top 20 offensive linemen according to 247sports are under 310 lbs. And 13 of those aren't even 300 lbs. You are right when you say it will take time to get freshmen OL and DL players up to P5 level, but a large number of 330+ lb linemen coming out of high school and being highly regarded isn't as common as you might think. We will definitely need the transfer portal for our Oline and Dline to bridge the gap more quickly.
On average, the weight of our recruits was only 5 pounds less then Gailey. I did another post and the sum of our starting oline and dline was within two pounds of UVA this year (and that is including us playing walk-ons). We are definitely smaller than most people we compete against, but the hyperbole is strong in these people.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i personally think that cpj hamstrung himself by having a few lousy coaches who were even worse at recruiting on the staff.

there was a story in the acj where a uga player said sewak thought he was somebody else and called him the wrong name.... repeatedly. he admitted he had no interest in gt. how often did that happen over 11 years?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
That's the ranking of our last 5 recruiting classes (i.e - the players on the field for this season). There's a reason our offense has been effectively shut out 3 years in a row against UGA (not to mention what Clemson has been doing to us), no matter who the X&O coaches were. Nobody is surprised when one of those teams massacres say ... Vanderbilt or NC State or something, but we've recruited even worse than those programs.

We have bottom tier P5 talent, and play a top tier P5 schedule - we had a few year breather in the late '00s / early '10s where UGA and Clemson were both pretty average as well, but that's over. There isn't a fix for that other than going out and getting some Jimmies and Joes.

Our first top 25 class since 2007 (you know, the class that made up the core of the '08 and '09 teams we remember so fondly) is coming in this offseason. Hopefully there will be several more to build a base a talent that gives us a chance to compete.

Last year, we beat Alcorn State 41-0 and Bowling Green 63-17. This year, we lost to Citadel. Even I didn't realize our talent had changed that much from 2018 to 2019. Thank you for letting me know.

Also, amazing that Virginia Tech must have simultaneously recruited a whole class of 5* all-american freshmen given that we beat them 49-28 last year -- in Blacksburg -- but obviously didn't have the talent to compete with them this year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
5 probably would have been sufficient, but we still have 4 more years until we even get that far so maybe we should give it a bit longer. You never just let a head coach's contract just run completely out before making a change, anyway. It would be too bad for recruiting. I'm encouraged by the improvement in recruiting so far. And I'm encouraged by the attitude on this team. Obviously there's going to be a gap between improved recruiting and improved performance. We're in the deepest part of that gap right now.
You are reading something into what I said . I did not say any coach needs to be replace after this year, even P'nut who I don't care about needs more time. I just think 7 years is too long I don't blame him hell if I was him I would ask for 10 years.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Well there are 130 FBS schools playing football. Those numbers should put us at the middle of the pack there. I think there are 65 Power 5 schools so those numbers would put us in the bottom third of that group. Still worst case we should win 1 out of 3 against Power 5 and over half of the rest. Counting the Citadel game, it looks like those recruiting results should have eared us 3.6 wins VS. Power 5 and a Citadel win would have given us 4.6 wins VS. 7.4 losses. So we slightly underperformed our talent based on my evaluation of recent recruiting results. 5 and 7 was probably a more realistic expectation than the actual 3 and 9. I think we underperformed our potential.

Go Jackets!
Jerry,
We did not impress me this yr but when you lose your best OL (by far) and best DL (by far) on a already weak LOS to start with ,things are going to be bad.Now how bad is another discussion.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
You have to be kidding? After year 2 you look at the program in your opinion do you see an Improvement in the program . Yes add a year to his contract , no call him in your office and let him tell you what he needs to help. Wait till next year. Year 3 would be critical after this you have to add to his contract or you would be making it hard on recruiting for him players may feel with only 2 years he would not be there their 4 years. After year 3 you should know if he is the right person for the job. A coach should be re-evaluated each year let the AD know his plans what he wants to do. Odds are if an AD does not do this than the school picked the wrong AD. If you own a company are you going to let the president go 7 years without asking questions? I had to answer question every year and explain how I was going to make the company more profitable. Why would a head coach not have to explain things?

What the HELL! you are making logical sense all of a sudden. This is a well thought out post. Are you suddenly sober again?