1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

54, 60, 48, 44, 51

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by vadimivich, Dec 1, 2019.

1. MountainBuzzMan

MountainBuzzMan Helluva Engineer

I have not seen one person say recruiting is not important, maybe you are the one napping a bit.

ibeattetris likes this.
  2. pbrown520

pbrown520 Helluva Engineer

This recruiting class to this point is lacking at DT. Do we even have a true DT currently committed? From my memory seems like we have a couple that we hope/project may grow into it. Almost all of the OL are redshirts from the looks of it - good frames, but probably not ready to play as true freshmen unless pressed into it, which a couple likely will be. Not a big deal, most OL aren't ready to start game 1 as true freshmen.

GTBandit22 and southernhive like this.
  3. stech81

stech81 Helluva Engineer

Yes but not for long wife will be home soon :)

4. lv20gt

lv20gt Helluva Engineer

Why are you acting like it's a one way decision like only GT had a say in the contract? The 7 years was probably a requirement for Collins to take on the rebuild that we were staring at and giving him just 5 would be a non starter. GT had almost no leverage as any coach coming in would probably demand something that ensures they would get actual time to transition from the option. That likely means either overpaying which we weren't in a position to do, or do what we did with Collins and give more years.

gtg391z likes this.
  5. GTRX7

GTRX7 Helluva Engineer

Correct. Everyone, literally everyone, agrees recruiting is vitally important. The disagreement seems to be whether, in the context of this particular season, we had slightly below average ACC level talent that should have competed better this year, or if we had Citadel level talent that had no chance whatsoever. We all agree recruiting is important going forward and vital to future success. Doesn't mean we could not have done better with what we had this year though.

6. stech81

stech81 Helluva Engineer

I still think 7 years is too long , I'm not saying CGC is a bad coach I have no idea I don't play for him and the 3 players i know I would not ask. How many other heads coaches were given 7 years?

7. ibeattetris

ibeattetris Helluva Engineer

Rutgers just hired Schiano for 8 years and 4mil per year.

Rutgers is paying a coach $1mil more than us and for one more year. This is a school that hasn't had a winning season in five years.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...t-for-former-scarlet-knights-coach-to-return/

8. CPJacket

CPJacket Georgia Tech Fan

So basically we sucked more than we should have sucked. hahaha. I lurk around here a lot but I had to weigh in here. Guys, we have crappy talent to do what we want to, AND, we were learning to do this for the FIRST TIME!!! Double wammy!!! It's not enough, for this year primarily, to say "well why didn't we beat such and such team if we our recruiting was better than them". Keeping in mind it was for a TOTALLY different system. The other team was well versed in their system. Again, this year we can't make that claim.

9. stech81

stech81 Helluva Engineer

I don't know much about Rutgers and the reason he left after 10 year being their head coach other than more money to coach in the NFL. I don't know if he was a good coach but I would think Rutgers made a bad decision not on the coach on 8 years but maybe they have no buyout

ibeattetris likes this.
  10. ibeattetris

He is guaranteed 27.5 million. More than our coaches entire contract.

GT can’t even outspend Rutgers.

GT14, COJacket and Augusta_Jacket like this.
  11. slugboy

slugboy Moderator Staff Member

We do have posts saying it’s a lost cause and therefore shouldn’t be a point of emphasis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT14 and ibeattetris like this.
  12. sgreer

sgreer Ramblin' Wreck

Next year Tech will also have a much more experienced team as far as Juniors/Seniors playing the majority of the time. They had the least amount of Juniors/Seniors on the "starting" offense and defense in the Coastal this season.

Buzztheirazz and ibeattetris like this.
  13. stech81

stech81 Helluva Engineer

anyone remember how many years Saban or Smart got the first time Alabama or uga signed them to coach ? Not the money but the years

ibeattetris likes this.
  14. ibeattetris

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    GT14 likes this.
  15. Gtbowhunter90

Gtbowhunter90 Helluva Engineer Contributing Writer

I actually wouldn't mind seeing him at DB. If he gets beat out in camp, throw him over there. Hes an elite athlete

16. tsrich

tsrich Helluva Engineer

My biggest worry is that we made a Gregory-type hire. A modestly successful coach from a level below us that we could afford. Not that we had a lot of choice; we're not going to be able to pay enough to lure a top-tier coach or even a 'hot' up and comer.
    Just the first year, so we can't make any real judgements, but first impressions weren't great. I hope Collins succeeds, but I also hope we don't spend 4 years < .500 before we once again reach the 7-9 win level or, worse, spend that time and don't make it back to that level

17. stech81

stech81 Helluva Engineer

ibeattetris likes this.
  18. Vespidie

Vespidie Ramblin' Wreck

I mentioned the same thing in another thread. Sitting in the upper north stands and physically seeing the size disparity between our guys and the gaggers was telling. In order for our offense and defense to get better, we have to get guys in the program and get them in the training room and develop them which will take time. Those expecting a miraculous turn around in year 2 are setting themselves up for disappointment.

19. ibeattetris

It's sad, but I think we can't compare ourselves with UGA to start. We need to get our size and speed up to VT/Miami level first. UGA outsizes SEC opponents, so making comparisons with them in year one or two of CGC's tenure is really unfair.

20. sgreer

sgreer Ramblin' Wreck

I would not compare them at all. Collins knows the challenge he has at Tech -he was here with O'Leary and then successful recruiting for Gailey - he also has a lot of experience coaching in the SEC ( a lot of NFL talent) and recruiting in the South. I think he has also put together a pretty good staff (successful GT players from the past who also know the challenges).