404 and ATL signage and logos

JacketFan137

Banned
One of my frustrations with our fans and our program is a seeming inability to get that we have to try and take advantage of everything that could possibly be a positive. We are in ATL whether you or anyone else likes that. Either we say nothing and all the kids hear is the negative recruiting which, oddly enough, is exactly the things you all are bringing up, or we say something positive and maybe they also hear that. Maybe we undercut the negative by addressing what ATL has going for it.
we just have a lot of negative fans that spend more time telling us we can never do things instead of supporting the program. we have pundits all over cfb saying how much potential tech has based on location and so many other fanbases respect us and think we could be good with the right hires but it’s our own fans on this board constantly beating down the bush saying “we can’t expect to be like other programs!” “we’re tech we can never do that!”

frankly i think these people just WANT to be the underdog so they can complain about how sorry we are and how tough we have it.

literally some of the only thing positives about collins was he at least believed in this program and looked at things like a tech degree being meaningful (rather than academics being an obstacle like half the people here) and our atlanta location as a strength. he couldn’t coach worth a damn but at least he tried to do something

Squints

Helluva Engineer
You use boomer like an insult. I assume that's your purpose. So you are okay insulting someone for their age? How about their race? Or maybe a physical disability? Where's your line? Where are the mod's line? Inquiring minds want to know...
I feel like I need to set up some sort of auto reply system so that whenever you quote one of my posts you just get this in response. Would save me some time.

084.png

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Sure. Whatever. I guess no one was shot and killed at Atlantic Station and a 77 year old lady wasn’t stabbed in the garage in her gated Buckhead community last week. Interesting that I saw the Tech grad mayor’s press conference on Channel 2 in Atlanta. I guess he’s just a boomer and just made it all up. SMDH….😐
A violent crime occurring does not mean the location of said crime is inherently dangerous.

Or go tell the Buckhead grandmother’s family that her stabbing and death are just a cable news story and it didn’t really happen because crime isn’t an issue three miles from the Tech campus. Nice take.
Not that her family would give a **** what I think but all I'd tell them is that they have my condolences.

I'm not denying the crimes happened. That is something you invented. What I'm saying is pointing a couple random crimes to try and claim an area is not safe is dumb. There are actual sketchy and potentially dangerous places you don't want to be in the world. Atlantic Station and Buckhead are not those places lol.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
You must not watch the news. Check out 11 Alive, WSB 2, etc. local Atlanta.
I live hundreds miles away from Atlanta. However, I do live in the downtown of a city that you hear the same type of rhetoric from local suburbanites and I can't help but roll my eyes when I do. They think I live in a war zone which is absurd. It's the same thing.

What does cable news have to do with it?
You should be able to read between the lines on this one.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
I live hundreds miles away from Atlanta. However, I do live in the downtown of a city that you hear the same type of rhetoric from local suburbanites and I can't help but roll my eyes when I do. They think I live in a war zone which is absurd. It's the same thing.

You should be able to read between the lines on this one.
I can't read between your lines. Enlighten us, please.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
A violent crime occurring does not mean the location of said crime is inherently dangerous.

Not that her family would give a **** what I think but all I'd tell them is that they have my condolences.

I'm not denying the crimes happened. That is something you invented. What I'm saying is pointing a couple random crimes to try and claim an area is not safe is dumb. There are actual sketchy and potentially dangerous places you don't want to be in the world. Atlantic Station and Buckhead are not those places lol.
Sorry, but Atlantic Station is definitely dangerous. When my (Black) assistant tells me she moved out of her apartment in the AS area because of the crime, that says you don't know what you're talking about. Maybe you're watching too much cable news of the other networks.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe Tech needs to emphasize stats more in its curriculum so that folks would know how to dig up numbers to distinguish “what areas are particularly dangerous compared to [specific other places]” from “is there more crime than a few years ago” and a few specific incidents and anecdotes… what even is the baseline we’re supposed to be comparing against, here?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I feel like I need to set up some sort of auto reply system so that whenever you quote one of my posts you just get this in response. Would save me some time.

084.png
I guess you don't want to answer the question. I was just curious if you are cool with being an ageist.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I guess you don't want to answer the question. I was just curious if you are cool with being an ageist.
I don’t think he was being ageist. The term “boomer” is about people behaving according to a type.

I’m a baby boomer. That is definitely an age category. However, I try not to act like a “boomer” which is a particular mindset. Sometimes I act like a boomer and sometimes I don’t.

When I do act like a boomer I usually get called on it by my youngest daughter. When that happens I know it means I’ve fallen into a type. The boomer type can be slow to take in new information and tends to rely on old assumptions and prejudices.

Trust me, you don’t want to act like a boomer.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I enjoy acting like a boomer. And telling young people off when they get on my case about it. It's a good history lesson for them to suddenly realize that their elders went through stuff they can just barely imagine. I usually start out, "Alright, show of hands: how many of you know how to bring down the first line of cops inn a riot? (I always held my hand up first.)" (answer: load Coke bottles with sand and wing them in at knee level; the cops don't usually wear greves) then going on to talk about the uprising at USCe when I was there. Does the little buggers good.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not a boomer. I don't think anything like a boomer. What does a boomer think like? I'm a GenX'er. We think like no one else. We don't even bridge the gap between Boomers and Melliniels (even thou some think we do).

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he was being ageist. The term “boomer” is about people behaving according to a type.

I’m a baby boomer. That is definitely an age category. However, I try not to act like a “boomer” which is a particular mindset. Sometimes I act like a boomer and sometimes I don’t.

When I do act like a boomer I usually get called on it by my youngest daughter. When that happens I know it means I’ve fallen into a type. The boomer type can be slow to take in new information and tends to rely on old assumptions and prejudices.

This post screamed "ok boomer" to me, a millennial.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

Sure, it is part of the words used to describe an age category. But to use the 'boomer' is really a slur used as an insult based on a social category and, more importantly, it is used to degrade them on the basis of being like someone in that (inferior) group. You don't have to be of a certain race to have a racial slur used to degrade you. And it doesn't matter if it is socially acceptable...certain racial slurs were used regularly to put people 'in their place' a few decades ago. It didn't make it right or something that shouldn't be called out.

Many of the people who can't understand a society that at one point used racial, sexual or gender slurs find it perfectly acceptable to use ageist slurs. The 'ok boomer' response that became so popular is no less offensive than saying 'what a n****r' or 'don't be a f**'.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I enjoy acting like a boomer. And telling young people off when they get on my case about it. It's a good history lesson for them to suddenly realize that their elders went through stuff they can just barely imagine. I usually start out, "Alright, show of hands: how many of you know how to bring down the first line of cops inn a riot? (I always held my hand up first.)" (answer: load Coke bottles with sand and wing them in at knee level; the cops don't usually wear greves) then going on to talk about the uprising at USCe when I was there. Does the little buggers good.
Good to know. 😊

Here’s the thing. The “Greatest Generation” was forever setting the boomers straight about everything. I remember what that was like and want to be careful not to automatically discount new information or perspectives from younger generations.

In my day the issue was a certain land war in Indochina. No matter what information we shared about mission creep, or the historical folly of that war, the greatest generation wasn’t hearing it. One of the great tragedies of American history.

Boomers have their own historical perspective which is 98% correct 😊 but when it is wrong it is embarrassing. Because we learned somewhere along the way to never give up on arguing no matter what.

I just try not to make the same mistakes the greatest generation made with us to the younger generations.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'll leave this for the community and mods to decide, but I hate to see someone's perspective disregarded or degraded because they belong to a certain (protected) category. If the standard is that we don't do that then I think that's the standard. Unless you are UGA fan, their opinions are automatically disregarded based on them being categorically stupid ;)

Back to the topic. Anyone want my 404 hat? (I'm serious...I'll never wear it again and happy to send it to a better home.)

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'll leave this for the community and mods to decide, but I hate to see someone's perspective disregarded or degraded because they belong to a certain (protected) category. If the standard is that we don't do that then I think that's the standard. Unless you are UGA fan, their opinions are automatically disregarded based on them being categorically stupid ;)

Back to the topic. Anyone want my 404 hat? (I'm serious...I'll never wear it again and happy to send it to a better home.)
What do you have against people who are 404 years old?

Mattmc10

Jolly Good Fellow
Sure, it is part of the words used to describe an age category. But to use the 'boomer' is really a slur used as an insult based on a social category and, more importantly, it is used to degrade them on the basis of being like someone in that (inferior) group. You don't have to be of a certain race to have a racial slur used to degrade you. And it doesn't matter if it is socially acceptable...certain racial slurs were used regularly to put people 'in their place' a few decades ago. It didn't make it right or something that shouldn't be called out.

Many of the people who can't understand a society that at one point used racial, sexual or gender slurs find it perfectly acceptable to use ageist slurs. The 'ok boomer' response that became so popular is no less offensive than saying 'what a n****r' or 'don't be a f**'.
The n word and boomer are on the same level? Really?!?!? Your argument held together right until then.