404 and ATL signage and logos

JacketFan137

Banned
I didn't say anything about N-word or boomer. I was talking about the comment in general, not the choice of words. Maybe you need to step back and take a deep breath. I'm telling you how you came across. I'm not judging you for the words you used. That was someone else. I'm a GenX'er. We tend not to judge.
well you are responding to a comment defending someone for comparing the n word to boomer.

and to be perfectly honest i don’t really care how i’m being perceived when calling someone out for saying something that ridiculous and offensive.

take your grandstanding somewhere else. your condescension is ageist to a protected class 🥺❄️

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
well you are responding to a comment defending someone for comparing the n word to boomer.

and to be perfectly honest i don’t really care how i’m being perceived when calling someone out for saying something that ridiculous and offensive.

take your grandstanding somewhere else. your condescension is ageist to a protected class 🥺❄️

Typical. I wasn't defending anyone, I was pointing out your hypocrisy. Carry on.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
By your logic, not a single person should want to go to UVA
By my logic? My logic is that crime in Atlanta is a concern for some and I don't see the overall benefit of having ATL/404 as part of our marketing, all things considered. Tell me what you think. I'll take care of myself.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Both are bigoted and ignorant, because they're used as an insult based on something the recipient can't change. Whether there are degrees of bigotry is irrelevant to the right or wrong of each word's usage.
As a "boomer" myself, I never considered the word "boomer" to be offensive in the least and in any case, I don't give two spits one way or the other, anyway.
There is no remote comparison with the racial invective "n" word, which is obviously an offensive term and is generally used as such.
And "old fart" falls in the same category with "boomer". Who cares?

Last edited:

JacketFan137

Banned
As a "boomer" myself, I never considered the word "boomer" to be offensive in the least and in any case, I don't give two spits one way or the other, anyway.
There is no remote comparison with the racial invective "n" word, which is obviously an offensive term and is generally used as such.
And "old fart" falls in the same category with "boomer". Who cares?
at the end of the day it’s all intent i guess. my dad reads the actual physical newspaper still and reminisces about how great LL Bean and sears catalogues used to be and i call him a boomer. i say something about social media and he makes fun of me for being a zoomer/millennial. it’s jokes and no one’s feelings are hurt

there’s not really a joking way to say those racial slurs without just being incredibly disrespectful

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
at the end of the day it’s all intent i guess. my dad reads the actual physical newspaper still and reminisces about how great LL Bean and sears catalogues used to be and i call him a boomer. i say something about social media and he makes fun of me for being a zoomer/millennial. it’s jokes and no one’s feelings are hurt

there’s not really a joking way to say those racial slurs without just being incredibly disrespectful
Sears catalog was the bomb 😊

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer

That just happened to be a tweet from Dictionary.com? Are other people extremely upset about being called a boomer?

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
This from our new QB transfer Haynes King. "My favorite part was seeing the campus and how it is connected to the city as well. They have a lot of good ideas, especially with internships and stuff like that with the education part, but the thing that kind of set me on them being a big part of this recruitment is the way they are going to develop me with football, lifting weight and nutrition. It is a very good setup with the system they are running now," King said.

Ths Atlanta connection was a positive in this case.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Screw all of your data show me ONE just ONE example of a Tech student athlete being robbed/murdered/ involved in any violence off campus. Until you can do that there’s no point in posting murder “hotspots” and graphs of crimes, it’s very insensitive and uninformative. You guys act like our players are going to be walking alone in the toughest neighborhoods at night.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
it was a social media debate 3 years ago when the phrase “ok boomer” was way more popular. some people got in their feelings and made the same claims that boomer was an ageist slur and were promptly laughed out of the room
Well, it is an ageist slur. It's demeaning and intended to marginalize the targeted person. Not the term boomer in general, but when you say "okay boomer," it is. It's patronizing and is the equivalent to a 13-year-old girl's eye roll.

I can tell you from listening to some of my kids' music that the use of certain words when addressing someone else depends squarely on who's doing the saying and the relationship between the two.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Hey folks, the thread is about tethering GT’s brand to ATL/404 and specifically if we separate ourselves from it due to the association from our previous coaching regime.

Let’s try to keep personal digs, ethical debates on the relative offensiveness of various types of “us vs them” pejoratives and the amateur crime reporting to other threads not specifically tagged in our football forum please.

If the thread has run it’s course, feel free to let it retire into oblivion like so many before it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This from our new QB transfer Haynes King. "My favorite part was seeing the campus and how it is connected to the city as well. They have a lot of good ideas, especially with internships and stuff like that with the education part, but the thing that kind of set me on them being a big part of this recruitment is the way they are going to develop me with football, lifting weight and nutrition. It is a very good setup with the system they are running now," King said.

Ths Atlanta connection was a positive in this case.
That's the connection Tech has to businesses in Atlanta and the opportunities for internships with large Fortune 500 companies just across the expressway.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Hey folks, the thread is about tethering GT’s brand to ATL/404 and specifically if we separate ourselves from it due to the association from our previous coaching regime.

Let’s try to keep personal digs, ethical debates on the relative offensiveness of various types of “us vs them” pejoratives and the amateur crime reporting to other threads not specifically tagged in our football forum please.

If the thread has run it’s course, feel free to let it retire into oblivion like so many before it.
Yes, I agree. Time to retire it.