404 and ATL signage and logos

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Buckhead and Atlantic Station aren't cities. Have to assume anyone who thinks the area of Atlanta around GT is 'dangerous' hasn't been to Atlanta in a decade and watches too much cable news.

People were shot/stabbed and killed in Atlantic Station and Buckhead in the past couple of weeks. Both are in Atlanta. Both are areas frequented by Tech students. Crime has increased in the city, both in bad areas and good areas. To say otherwise is factually incorrect.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Start a med school too and get some lawyer and doctor donor money as a bonus...
Getting money from Engineers...... ( doc and lawyers get money if they are good engineers get a salary)
At W21 they have the rv s and they have the giant rvs.
Back in 16-18 i got to meet seversl of the owners of the large rvs. All of them were business owners. Most had lost jobs in down turns and had been forced into starting businesses.
Gt Engineers are seldom laid off=all well off but not big donors.
I hope Batt can modify the script from big donor only approach to include a much broader appeal.

1976jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
This is the kind of ignorance that leaves me shaking my head. Don't get sucked in by the media hype. Chicago is one of the safest cities in the US for people to visit and to live in, depending on where they live. There are 2 3-block neighborhoods that are extremely dangerous. They are far from where most people visiting Chicago would ever go. To say Chicago is a dangerous city is laughable. It is a city, so there's crime, but it's not a dangerous city. 2.697 million people in Chicago; 8.901 in Chicagoland.

The 10 most dangerous cities in Georgia for 2021 Link

1. College Park (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
2. Americus
3. Albany
4. Forest Park (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
5. Warner Robins
6. Douglasville (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
7. Morrow (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
8. Bainbridge
9. Waynesboro
10. Clarkson (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)

Here's the 2022 Update Link

1. College Park
2. Albany
3. Morrow
4. Americus
5. Forest Park
6. Douglasville
7. Bainbridge
8. Warner Robins
9. Clarkson
10. Waynesboro

Another reference Link

Top 18
  1. East Point (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
  2. College Park (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
  3. Helen
  4. Union City (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
  5. Hapeville (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
  6. Quitman
  7. Tifton
  8. Eastman
  9. Baxley
  10. Albany
  11. Griffin
  12. Rockmart
  13. Alma
  14. West Point
  15. Remerton
  16. Douglasville (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
  17. Brunswick
  18. Forest Park (Metro Atlanta - far from Georgia Tech and an area that Tech students don't frequent)
Bainbridge is more dangerous to live in because of high winds and tornados in recent years.! All these small towns in south Ga like Eastman, Baxley, Quitman and Alma I go through all the time; I didn’t know were so dangerous!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Bainbridge is more dangerous to live in because of high winds and tornados in recent years.! All these small towns in south Ga like Eastman, Baxley, Quitman and Alma I go through all the time; I didn’t know were so dangerous!
I have no idea how dangerous these small towns are. I’m sure it’s a crime rate versus total crime, so smaller populations can jump quickly. However, it doesn’t discount the point that Georgia Tech and Atlanta in general is not an unsafe place for your kid to go to school. There’s crime and violent crime everywhere. Cities get a bad rap.

JacketFan137

Banned
People were shot/stabbed and killed in Atlantic Station and Buckhead in the past couple of weeks. Both are in Atlanta. Both are areas frequented by Tech students. Crime has increased in the city, both in bad areas and good areas. To say otherwise is factually incorrect.

up 3% year over year but trending down overall based on this report. atlanta is really not a dangerous city and i’m confused why this is the hill you are choosing to die on

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Murders in ATL 2021,2022.
These stats are meaningless unless you dig into the numbers and understand where this is happening. Like I said about Chicago, it’s very isolated but the numbers are higher in those isolated areas. They inflate the overall numbers. Almost all of Chicago is as safe to walk through as downtown Tucker at night.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Most Violent College Campuses (2022)

1. New Mexico
2. Michigan State
3. Utah
4. Cal-Berkley
5. Stanford
6. UCLA
7. Portland State
8. Iowa
9. Penn State
10. Texas A&M
11. THE Ohio State University
12. Kentucky
13. Harvard
14. Houston
15. Arizona State
16. Maryland
17. LSU
18. Rutgers
19. FSU
20. SDSU
21. Indiana
22. Duke
23. Yale
24. Nebraska
25. UCONN
Living and partying in East Lansing I can’t tell you that MSU is on this list because of sexual assault and dorm break-ins. Alcohol and drug overdose deaths. Students aren’t being robbed or shot.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Murders in ATL 2021,2022.
The Atlanta now is nothing like the Atlanta I grew up in. West side/Vine City/Zone 1 in the late 80’s to early 90’s was a war zone. The Miami Boyz were in the housing developments and at war with the “gangs” from Zone 1 and other Zones. We left when the city began tearing down the Homes to get ready for the Olympics. It was wild back then….. Hell, when I was even younger, we had to worry about Wayne, too! Lol.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Having lived in urban areas in different parts of the country I can only tell you that, by far, the most dangerous city I ever lived in was Savannah. It wasn’t NY, Chicago, Atlanta or Boston.

Now, do you need to be street smart in each of these towns. Of course! But the problem we are talking about is perception more than reality. Savannah seems to be a place “everyone” wants to move to and the crime issue does not seem to be affecting home prices. So, narratives depend a lot on what you choose to see and what you choose to ignore.

Some of the perception, in my opinion, is a combination of journalists trying to find something with emotional punch to write about and some of this being politically motivated in an on-going “culture war.”

This doesn’t have to be a recruiting problem unless we make it such. At the height of the crime / perception issues that plagued Techwood Homes we still managed to have some good recruiting years by Tech standards. The Tech campus is positively an oasis compared to then.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
I have no idea how dangerous these small towns are. I’m sure it’s a crime rate versus total crime, so smaller populations can jump quickly. However, it doesn’t discount the point that Georgia Tech and Atlanta in general is not an unsafe place for your kid to go to school. There’s crime and violent crime everywhere. Cities get a bad rap.
I live in a small (30,000+) town and the crime here is bad. Just had a 20 yr old murder a young man this week. I've been told by school officials that gangs are a major problem. In the first week of school they found 3 students with guns. It's not just large metro areas.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It is all about perception.

I live in a very small town of about 3,000. When I walk around town, I know every single person that I see either by name or simply by sight. My normal walk is right at three miles. I usually only meet or pass two or three people on that walk. It is extremely comfortable because I know who the people are that could be a problem, and I know if there is someone who isn't from my town.

I am also comfortable in urban areas. With the realization that most of my time in urban areas are in nicer areas of the cities. (Midtown Atlanta, Loop and Magnificent Mile areas of Chicago, etc) There are many people around most of the time. There aren't many areas on the streets that are obscured. There is some safety in potential criminals knowing that there are multiple people who could help or be witnesses.

People used to either of those situations could be uncomfortable in the other. It is very possible for a person from a small town to be uncomfortable in a situation with tens to hundreds of people they don't know and in a loud/busy environment that they can't control. It is very possible for a person from a large urban area to be uncomfortable in a rural area where there is no help available. (At least not immediate and visible)

Related to recruiting, I think the biggest impact is probably with respect to the parents of the recruits. I doubt a parent in Brooklyn is going to be extremely concerned about sending their kid to Midtown Atlanta. They would probably check out the areas of the city and be comfortable. A parent from rural Georgia is more likely to lump all of the areas of Atlanta together as a large, busy, dangerous environment.

Once again, it is about perception. If GT and a college town school are recruiting the same athlete, GT will stress the good points about the urban area and the other school will stress the negative. I haven't looked at statistics to see, but I believe that college athletes in general are fairly safe. Any division 1 athlete that dies or is murdered makes a large news story. Fortunately it is rare. Unfortunately, in recruiting, it doesn't matter what the facts are. It only matters what you can get the recruit and his parents to believe.

JacketFan137

Banned
It is all about perception.

I live in a very small town of about 3,000. When I walk around town, I know every single person that I see either by name or simply by sight. My normal walk is right at three miles. I usually only meet or pass two or three people on that walk. It is extremely comfortable because I know who the people are that could be a problem, and I know if there is someone who isn't from my town.

I am also comfortable in urban areas. With the realization that most of my time in urban areas are in nicer areas of the cities. (Midtown Atlanta, Loop and Magnificent Mile areas of Chicago, etc) There are many people around most of the time. There aren't many areas on the streets that are obscured. There is some safety in potential criminals knowing that there are multiple people who could help or be witnesses.

People used to either of those situations could be uncomfortable in the other. It is very possible for a person from a small town to be uncomfortable in a situation with tens to hundreds of people they don't know and in a loud/busy environment that they can't control. It is very possible for a person from a large urban area to be uncomfortable in a rural area where there is no help available. (At least not immediate and visible)

Related to recruiting, I think the biggest impact is probably with respect to the parents of the recruits. I doubt a parent in Brooklyn is going to be extremely concerned about sending their kid to Midtown Atlanta. They would probably check out the areas of the city and be comfortable. A parent from rural Georgia is more likely to lump all of the areas of Atlanta together as a large, busy, dangerous environment.

Once again, it is about perception. If GT and a college town school are recruiting the same athlete, GT will stress the good points about the urban area and the other school will stress the negative. I haven't looked at statistics to see, but I believe that college athletes in general are fairly safe. Any division 1 athlete that dies or is murdered makes a large news story. Fortunately it is rare. Unfortunately, in recruiting, it doesn't matter what the facts are. It only matters what you can get the recruit and his parents to believe.
i talked to a guy at a gt fan day at some point in the collins years and he claimed he was friends with key (zero clue how true or not this was) and he said key told him that some kids are city kids and prefer it over the college town vibe and some kids just want nothing to do with the city. it’s all probably personal preference

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Once again, this is true until the parents step on campus. Then, most of those fears go away.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
i talked to a guy at a gt fan day at some point in the collins years and he claimed he was friends with key (zero clue how true or not this was) and he said key told him that some kids are city kids and prefer it over the college town vibe and some kids just want nothing to do with the city. it’s all probably personal preference
This happens too. Tech is neither an urban nor rural campus when you're on campus.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I live in a small (30,000+) town and the crime here is bad. Just had a 20 yr old murder a young man this week. I've been told by school officials that gangs are a major problem. In the first week of school they found 3 students with guns. It's not just large metro areas.
I think the onslaught of crystal meth and opioids has had a ton to do with the increase in crime in rural areas.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Once again, this is true until the parents step on campus. Then, most of those fears go away.
I don't know how big of an issue it is in general if any. However, I don't agree with you that the issue goes away as soon as rural parents step on campus. I know people who consider 10 miles to be close by.