404 and ATL signage and logos

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Guys some of this seems silly. Waffle House is a GT Alum business. There is no reason to avoid it now more than there was to increase visiting it because Collins promoted it. I will keep going and enjoying it. The company even loaned us their plan to travel. Why punish them? Why let Collins live rent free in your head much less dictate where you eat. As far as the branding on campus. If it can be removed without making it look completely vanilla or unfinished then change it if it doesn’t cost a fortune to do so. Maybe some of the donors pony up extra money to make this happen. I don’t know? Maybe Key could or is getting insight from someone in marketing on what to do there. Recruits want flashy things and expensive looking things that make it stand out especially on recruiting visits. I mean just look at most of the pictures the recruits post on social media.
Firing of Long isn’t a shocker. The WR coach well maybe the new OC wants to bring in their own. Who knows.
Coach Lew being let go? Maybe Key has someone in mind and thought he was overpriced and didn’t care for all the “extras” the costumes, the social media posting, and conferences? Maybe Lew and Key couldn’t come to terms on what is needed or Lew himself wants a fresh start. Speculation here or maybe Lew had other offers and Rhule wants him in Nebraska with him (perhaps). Key may be needs a more direct to the point blue collar worker in S & C and can save money and use it else where! I have no idea but I bet Lew was well compensated due to his level within the field of S & C.
Obviously all the programs and letterhead etc with Colllins face & signature (@ signs) will need to come down. But there may be some things that he did well in that area to retain.
I particularly like the “living in your head part.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Many of the people who can't understand a society that at one point used racial, sexual or gender slurs find it perfectly acceptable to use ageist slurs. The 'ok boomer' response that became so popular is no less offensive than saying 'what a n****r' or 'don't be a f**'.
084.png

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, but Atlantic Station is definitely dangerous. When my (Black) assistant tells me she moved out of her apartment in the AS area because of the crime, that says you don't know what you're talking about. Maybe you're watching too much cable news of the other networks.
Weird to bring up your assistant's skin color. Not sure what relevance that has. But I know two people who live there currently and have told me the constant talk of crime is overblown. As it usually is in these conversations. Two is more then one so I guess that says you don't know what you're talking about too. Anecdotal evidence is fun!

At least you can appear to read subtext. But I'm not dumb enough to pay for cable. And if I was I wouldn't waste my time watching any of the cable news networks.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
What's really strange to me is that citing crime statistics is a "boomer take".

https://www.11alive.com/article/new...rates/85-1a13cc4a-bdef-43d6-a213-69ced3835b48

I guess I'm a 35 year old boomer now.

Who said citing crime statistics is a "boomer take"? Because it certainly wasn't me. It's the citing of those statistics without context to try to paint someplace as some sort no-go zone to the point that we should hesitate to associate GT with the city it's located in that I take issue with. That's absolutely insane to me as our location is one of the program's best assets and leaning into it is one of the things the previous guy actually got right.

Maybe Tech needs to emphasize stats more in its curriculum so that folks would know how to dig up numbers to distinguish “what areas are particularly dangerous compared to [specific other places]” from “is there more crime than a few years ago” and a few specific incidents and anecdotes… what even is the baseline we’re supposed to be comparing against, here?

Nailed it. These types of conversations always lack context nuance and for some reason there's a group of people who will fall over backwards to tell you how awful someplace is because they heard someone else say so. Very sad to see at times.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Who said citing crime statistics is a "boomer take"? Because it certainly wasn't me. It's the citing of those statistics without context to try to paint someplace as some sort no-go zone to the point that we should hesitate to associate GT with the city it's located in that I take issue with. That's absolutely insane to me as our location is one of the program's best assets and leaning into it is one of the things the previous guy actually got right.

Nailed it. These types of conversations always lack context nuance and for some reason there's a group of people who will fall over backwards to tell you how awful someplace is because they heard someone else say so. Very sad to see at times.
When I was picking a college, our location was a major deterrent that was only overcome for me personally because I had full scholarship here vs half scholarships elsewhere. The Braves relocated to Cobb County because their fanbase found that area more appealing than in the city. If you want to quibble, I'm sure there's safer areas in Chicago too, but you still need to have your head on a swivel at all times and that's not really the college experience a lot of kids want.

Further, branding as "ATL" and "404" seems to be nostalgic at best and purposefully associating with harmful culture at worst with a lot of gray area in between... the perception of which it is being up to the observer rather than your intent. Brand off of GT. It's in our control. Atlanta can be a part of that brand, but should not be the face.

Of course, you're welcome to disagree. I'm sure many here would be willing to sell you their unwanted swag with that branding. I never bought any myself.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
When I was picking a college, our location was a major deterrent that was only overcome for me personally because I had full scholarship here vs half scholarships elsewhere. The Braves relocated to Cobb County because their fanbase found that area more appealing than in the city. If you want to quibble, I'm sure there's safer areas in Chicago too, but you still need to have your head on a swivel at all times and that's not really the college experience a lot of kids want.

Further, branding as "ATL" and "404" seems to be nostalgic at best and purposefully associating with harmful culture at worst with a lot of gray area in between... the perception of which it is being up to the observer rather than your intent. Brand off of GT. It's in our control. Atlanta can be a part of that brand, but should not be the face.

Of course, you're welcome to disagree. I'm sure many here would be willing to sell you their unwanted swag with that branding. I never bought any myself.
Whoa, the Braves did not move because of crime.

Enough analysis has been done by different publications (Forbes, Sports Illustrated etc etc) that we know it had to do with a sweet heart business deal. Even though the Braves now average lower attendance than they did at Turner they can charge more for tickets and make more money.

Meanwhile in the area around the old Turner Field mothers pushing baby strollers amid a revised residential area shows that the move lost a lot of fans who do not want to fight Cobb County traffic.

For most fans it was a stupid move.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

Enough analysis has been done by different publications (Forbes, Sports Illustrated etc etc) that we know it had to do with a sweet heart business deal. Even though the Braves now average lower attendance than they did at Turner they can charge more for tickets and make more money.

Meanwhile in the area around the old Turner Field mothers pushing baby strollers amid a revised residential area shows that the move lost a lot of fans who do not want to fight Cobb County traffic.

the Braves havent really lost fans. the last 2 years they have been 2nd and 4th in attendance. and if they avg less fans per game is cuz their new stadium holds 8k less fans.

however, 2016, last year at Turner field avg 24,949. 2017 first year at Truist, 30,929. so if anything moving to Cobb was better, because it put the braves right in the middle of were most their fans are. Braves didnt start winning again until 2018 so you cant say the uptick was because of winning.

Yes they did get a sweet deal but it hasnt hurt them financially in terms of attendance

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Have you ever looked at a map of where Braves season ticket holders live?

Try looking at that. It pretty much answers the question, along with the financial incentives that Cobb was willing to do but Atlanta was not.

One-two punch, and a win-win for the Braves....

JacketFan137

Banned
what exactly is the “harmful culture” and gray area in between in regards to atlanta and 404 lol

what you’re saying just reads really…weird. atlanta is a fine city with a diverse population, plenty of opportunity in a wide variety of different businesses, and a lot of cool things like the aquarium, college football hall of fame, a great music scene, i could go on.

can you also tell me a single program in america who doesn’t lean into their city/location? kind of a pretty big part of your program lol

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
when you have to star one word out but you can freely type out the other it is blatantly obvious which one is actually offensive and which one is just someone crying on the internet.
I have no idea how old you are, but this comment sounds like a Millenial. Constantly thinking they know more that those with more experience because they‘re more ”enlightened.” Might be a good time to stop looking down on someone because of their perspective or their age. I thought the millennials were supposed to be less judgmental. I guess that just applies when it’s others who are judging. My bad.

JacketFan137

Banned
I have no idea how old you are, but this comment sounds like a Millenial. Constantly thinking they know more that those with more experience because they‘re more ”enlightened.” Might be a good time to stop looking down on someone because of their perspective or their age. I thought the millennials were supposed to be less judgmental. I guess that just applies when it’s others who are judging. My bad.
lol you can’t be serious here. i cannot believe we have people seriously considering “boomer” on par with the n word. y’all are absolutely disgusting and shameful to even treat this as an equal comparison.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Have you ever looked at a map of where Braves season ticket holders live?

Try looking at that. It pretty much answers the question, along with the financial incentives that Cobb was willing to do but Atlanta was not.

One-two punch, and a win-win for the Braves....
Forbes did a review of those “ticket hot spots” and found it lacking in depth.

Yes, the Braves wanted government support for their private enterprise and Cobb came through.

Point still stands. It had zero to do with crime.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
the Braves havent really lost fans. the last 2 years they have been 2nd and 4th in attendance. and if they avg less fans per game is cuz their new stadium holds 8k less fans.

however, 2016, last year at Turner field avg 24,949. 2017 first year at Truist, 30,929. so if anything moving to Cobb was better, because it put the braves right in the middle of were most their fans are. Braves didnt start winning again until 2018 so you cant say the uptick was because of winning.

Yes they did get a sweet deal but it hasnt hurt them financially in terms of attendance
All new stadiums show an uptick in attendance. First few years at Turner I think the Braves averaged around 42,000 or more.

A lot of fans quit buying tickets after the move and the jacking up of prices. I know I did.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
lol you can’t be serious here. i cannot believe we have people seriously considering “boomer” on par with the n word. y’all are absolutely disgusting and shameful to even treat this as an equal comparison.
I didn't say anything about N-word or boomer. I was talking about the comment in general, not the choice of words. Maybe you need to step back and take a deep breath. I'm telling you how you came across. I'm not judging you for the words you used. That was someone else. I'm a GenX'er. We tend not to judge.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll leave this for the community and mods to decide, but I hate to see someone's perspective disregarded or degraded because they belong to a certain (protected) category. If the standard is that we don't do that then I think that's the standard. Unless you are UGA fan, their opinions are automatically disregarded based on them being categorically stupid ;)

Back to the topic. Anyone want my 404 hat? (I'm serious...I'll never wear it again and happy to send it to a better home.)

I'd love the 404 hat.

Unlike a lot of posters on here, I didn't go to GT - but I've been a fan for 44 years. Grew up going to games in the 80's and 90's, with season tix for football (upper West, 50 yard line) and basketball through some real exciting times. My dad got out in '73 with a CE degree. I personally had a Stamps scholarship to GT, which I forewent in favor of a lucrative English degree. So I'm a "sidewalk fan," even if I'm connected by blood to the school and program.

I moved to L.A. in 2000, and then to Colorado in 2008. And my family has now (mostly) finally moved out of Georgia to surrounding states (NC & SC). For me, the ATL and 404 branding speaks to home. It reminds me that Georgia Tech is in the heart of Midtown - and it is a much better/more resonant area code in my mind than 770, 678, 323, 818, and 303 (all the zip codes I or my spouse have had over the years). It's home. And it's a damn cool city whose energy - and whose team - I miss.

(Pretty sure I'm not the only one.)

So yeah - if that hat is still available, DM me. Would love to have it and would wear it proudly. Thanks!

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Both are bigoted and ignorant, because they're used as an insult based on something the recipient can't change. Whether there are degrees of bigotry is irrelevant to the right or wrong of each word's usage.