4 and 1 against Duke

Did you watch the game Saturday? If nothing else was accomplished, I think it served notice to the ACC to respect our passing game.
One game doesn't make up for the lack of legit passing the last 8 years. Come on that is not debatable. Justin had a game for the ages. No one saying anything to the contrary, but it was one game. There are more examples even this year that shows how undeveloped the passing game is. We were avg 120 pydpg before duke. What does that say?

14 passing was Smelter and that was about it. Waller had the drops pretty much his entire time at tech. Yes had some big catches, but a crap load of drops. Avg less than 150 yds a game passing in college football is bad. Having a good passing game a couple times a year is not good seeing how long he's been here.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
One game doesn't make up for the lack of legit passing the last 8 years. Come on that is not debatable. Justin had a game for the ages. No one saying anything to the contrary, but it was one game. There are more examples even this year that shows how undeveloped the passing game is. We were avg 120 pydpg before duke. What does that say?

It says that you are cherry picking a stat, pypg, and being overly specific in your evaluation of the passing game.

JeT is the 9th ranked QB in Total QBR. He would be 5th in the NCAA in yards per attempt, but he hasn't thrown enough passes to qualify.

In passing, you want to be efficient, not simply prolific. GT is #5 as a team in ypa. http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt

17th in QB rating. http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/collegeQuarterbackRating

5th in fewest INTs. http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/interceptions/order/false

BTW, the top passing school is Texas Tech. Their record is 4-4. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for that ypg stat...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
14 passing was Smelter and that was about it. Waller had the drops pretty much his entire time at tech. Yes had some big catches, but a crap load of drops. Avg less than 150 yds a game passing in college football is bad. Having a good passing game a couple times a year is not good seeing how long he's been here.

In 2014, two schools with less than 150 yards per game went 11-3. But since you are predisposed to anecdotal hyperbole, I am guessing stats that refute your claims will simply be dismissed.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought 4th and 1 call against pitt was ok call but the the 4th and with Duke having a 3 on 2 was bad - we should have called timeout if we couldn't get into another play. That was so obvious and should have been obvious to qb and coach. Not good and not fair to RB or linemen. We were outcoached on that one.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I thought 4th and 1 call against pitt was ok call but the the 4th and with Duke having a 3 on 2 was bad - we should have called timeout if we couldn't get into another play. That was so obvious and should have been obvious to qb and coach. Not good and not fair to RB or linemen. We were outcoached on that one.

I saw Devine come into the game and instantly knew the play call. The Duke OLB did also. When he got into that gap I was hoping for a QB sneak, BB to the other side, or rocket toss to the play side since the OLB was out of position. I would hope that JT saw the problem, don't know. If so I am wondering if he has the authority to do something else or is he so regimented to what CPJ calls that he will execute then have someone blame the execution. I have old eyes, was a long distance away. but clearly saw that play was doomed. I hope we have adjustments for that type situation in the future.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
In 2014, two schools with less than 150 yards per game went 11-3. But since you are predisposed to anecdotal hyperbole, I am guessing stats that refute your claims will simply be dismissed.

Who were the 2 schools and did they win a bowl at least?

It says that you are cherry picking a stat, pypg, and being overly specific in your evaluation of the passing game.

JeT is the 9th ranked QB in Total QBR. He would be 5th in the NCAA in yards per attempt, but he hasn't thrown enough passes to qualify.

In passing, you want to be efficient, not simply prolific. GT is #5 as a team in ypa. http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt

17th in QB rating. http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/collegeQuarterbackRating

5th in fewest INTs. http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/interceptions/order/false

BTW, the top passing school is Texas Tech. Their record is 4-4. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for that ypg stat...
Balance is what I want. I'm not cherry picking. We haven't passed worth a flip since Paul got here. Josh was a passing qb in hs. He regressed when he got here. Tevin had no wr's. Justin had smelter for two years and had a good year smelters last year. Not having enough pass attempts this late in the season is a bad anyway you slice. Watch the games our passing game is a joke. Jet was 10-14. 14 attempts in a game is not balance. I hope jet would have a high % if he only threw 14 times in a game. Like I said earlier I respect the position and hope for the best. Alabama changed their offense this year to fit their Qb. We change qb to fit our system. Which works best and which coach is better? I think a coach that is able to change and not force is better than a coach who forces and won't change to help personal.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Balance is what I want. I'm not cherry picking. We haven't passed worth a flip since Paul got here.

yes, you are cherry picking. You completely ignore stats that refute your assertion that we have a successful passing game. When you say "We haven't passed worth a flip since Paul got here," what you really mean is that you don't like a run heavy offense. If so, simply state that. Now you are moving the goal posts by saying you want "balance." Using your cherry picked stat, pypg, the best team in the nation is Texas Tech. They are 4-4 and pass twice as much as they run. That's not balance. It's just a different O philosophy.

Watch the games our passing game is a joke.

I watch all the home games in the stadium. I don't see anything that resembles a joke in our passing game. I can promise you Duke wasn't laughing last Saturday.

You seem pretty intent on remaining willfully ignorant, however, so have at it.

There is a reason why passing attempts are so low. We aren't very good at it. Run attempts per game vs pass attempts pet game for is the way it is because Paul uses the pass for us like a submarine attack. Not like it's a part of the reg offense. His OL can't get the running game assignments down until game 8 so I guess passing is what has been 15 or less attempts per game. You guys do realize 90 plus yards of his rushing came because of scrambling ability not the offense per say.

GravyTrain

Georgia Tech Fan
There is a reason why passing attempts are so low. We aren't very good at it. Run attempts per game vs pass attempts pet game for is the way it is because Paul uses the pass for us like a submarine attack. Not like it's a part of the reg offense. His OL can't get the running game assignments down until game 8 so I guess passing is what has been 15 or less attempts per game. You guys do realize 90 plus yards of his rushing came because of scrambling ability not the offense per say.

giphy.gif

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. In 2014 we had Waller and Smelter, both drafted into the NFL. Waller could burn you long and Smelter had some of the best hands we've seen in a while, but schematically, we weren't dazzling anyone. Not to say we're dazzling anyone right now, but our passing game now has so many more weapons and routes available. With Jeune and Stewart at WR, Lynch and Searcy at AB, and Marshall for the BB passes, we have the potential to run a very effective passing game. There are also other highly capable WRs and ABs on our roster able to sub in and make an impact as well. If we keep developing the receiving corps this way, we might be in for a real treat in a couple of years if someone like Lucas Johnson wins the starting QB job.

Man, that Lynch is a ball player. Not the biggest or the fastest, he just has a way of getting open. You take your eyes off him for a second as a linebacker, he will be by you in a New York second and generally he is WIDE open.

What do you want him to say? You acknowledge he said that he would call a different play if he had it to do over again. Do you want him to simply resign on the spot? Is that the only acceptable solution? Or, if players also don't execute, lie to us? Say they did it right AND he called the wrong play? You clearly only hear what you want to hear. Nothing he says would satisfy you.

BleedGoldnWhite21 says the toss was working, but we ran that on the prior 4th and got it on a second effort by 1 inch. So, to make sure I am getting this right, getting it on the toss by 1 inch was obviously the correct call while missing it by 1 inch up the middle was incredibly stupid and unacceptable? If we had run the toss and not gotten it he would have been roasted just as much.

I'd like him to say something besides "If we execute, we make the play". Without throwing the players under the bus, just say "We probably should've called a different play." The guy's getting paid almost $3 million to coach players getting paid $0. The least he can do is not hold them responsible. Do we, as fans, know that...if the players make plays, we get the 1st? Of course. So there's no need to get defensive about the play-call, Coach. Be a man and admit it was the wrong play WITHOUT kicking the players while they're down. And let's be honest here: It was a King Stupid playcall to begin with. "Let's run a dive right at their biggest DL freak." was stupid...almost as stupid as throwing a mere 10 passes against the worst pass defense in all of college football.

I'm just baffled why so many Tech fans want to defend the coach rather than the players. They're freaking 18-21 year old student athletes doing their best. They're not being paid millions, unlike the Coach. Coach needs to be a man and suck up his pride sometimes.

Did you watch the game Saturday? If nothing else was accomplished, I think it served notice to the ACC to respect our passing game.

Agreed and we should have been passing more this year, given our senior QB and weapons. Hell, had we thrown it more than 10 times vs the nation's worst pass D (PITT), we probably win that game handily. Because of our passing and skill playrs, we beat BC and Puke. Not because of our running game.

Here's to throwing it more down the home stretch!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
CPJ hardly ever says specific positions or players made mistakes which puts him probably in the middle of the pack as other coaches. Heck the new coach down the road throws players under the bus more often than CPJ and CPJ has an 8 year head start on him.