4 and 1 against Duke

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
I guess you hear what you want to hear. I heard him accept responsibility for the failure of the play.
Just out of curiosity... what do you think it means when CPJ says he is responsible for the failure of a play? When a player is responsible, he's disciplined or moves down the depth chart, or the like. When the head coach says it... what are the repercussions or ramifications? I'm not sure I know.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Rocket toss would work, but we should be running sneaks or midline every time on 4th and 1 and picking them all up. Jordan should have come in, sneak, first down, end of discussion. Don't know why we use him on the goal line but not on 4th and 1...seems crazy to me

I agree. Jordan should be in on the 4th and 1 situations.

However, the toss was working so well against PITT, I still can't believe we didn't toss it on 4th and 1.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
not really but I guess you hear what you want to hear. He did say he should've called a different play but not before remarking that the play should've worked.

What do you want him to say? You acknowledge he said that he would call a different play if he had it to do over again. Do you want him to simply resign on the spot? Is that the only acceptable solution? Or, if players also don't execute, lie to us? Say they did it right AND he called the wrong play? You clearly only hear what you want to hear. Nothing he says would satisfy you.

BleedGoldnWhite21 says the toss was working, but we ran that on the prior 4th and got it on a second effort by 1 inch. So, to make sure I am getting this right, getting it on the toss by 1 inch was obviously the correct call while missing it by 1 inch up the middle was incredibly stupid and unacceptable? If we had run the toss and not gotten it he would have been roasted just as much.

What do you want him to say? You acknowledge he said that he would call a different play if he had it to do over again. Do you want him to simply resign on the spot? Is that the only acceptable solution? Or, if players also don't execute, lie to us? Say they did it right AND he called the wrong play? You clearly only hear what you want to hear. Nothing he says would satisfy you.

BleedGoldnWhite21 says the toss was working, but we ran that on the prior 4th and got it on a second effort by 1 inch. So, to make sure I am getting this right, getting it on the toss by 1 inch was obviously the correct call while missing it by 1 inch up the middle was incredibly stupid and unacceptable? If we had run the toss and not gotten it he would have been roasted just as much.
I agree he is in a no win situation. I was open minded about him when he arrived. I was like 99% of Tech people and fell for the wait until he actually gets OL that are fit to run his system instead of having converted TE's, unused DL, and OL that not suited to play in his system. The instant success may have been caused unrealistic future expectations, but he hasn't helped his cause. He is perceived as to have held the Institute hostage over a contract extension. He surly demeanor when questioned about his offense. He does get offended if someone questions the effectiveness or validity of his offense. To many his pulling kids by the facemask and screaming in the kid's face looking like Will Muschamp is not attractive and what a Tech coach should look like on the sidelines. Agree or Disagree it is a issue for some fans. Now we entering year 9 with no real threat of a passing game, still having issues on the OL with assignment understanding, still having WR issues, still have depth issues. He has many supporter and many that don't. This is going to sound strange, but it really is true and that is he has made it easy for his supporters to stand firm with him and he has also made it easy for his detractors to also stand firm. I can't argue his offense has scored more pts per game and you go into a game now expecting them to score 28 to 42 pts and pts are the end all be all of a measuring stick. His handling of the defense is another story. I can't blame Roof for scheme when he is the best recruiter that side of the ball has seen since Giff Smith. He is bringing in better talent. That can't be denied. The previous DC's didn't leave him with much to work with. He lost 3DL very early 9(devastating). He runs a different scheme than Groh which mean he recruited different types of players. Womanck etc. So yes the CEO is responsible for all aspects of the company. I can live with him or w/out him. You will not hear call for his termination again. I good with the may not like the Pres of the country but you respect him. Well I'm a Tech guy first so respect the position while he is here.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

It's certainly not incredibly stupid or unacceptable. I'm just genuinely surprised that we didn't go to what was our bread and butter for most of the game even with the previous 4th and one toss barely being a success. It still was a success.

I didn't love the call, but the 4th and one isn't what irks me about that game. The defense lost that game, no doubt about it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Saturday showed a passing threat... 2014 had a passing threat.
Imo, we have an even better passing threat with more diverse routes and players. in 14 it was pretty much right sideline route (short, back shoulder, or long) .
Would love to see Cottrell uzed on passing downs . maybe he is about ready.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Imo, we have an even better passing threat with more diverse routes and players. in 14 it was pretty much right sideline route (short, back shoulder, or long) .
Would love to see Cottrell uzed on passing downs . maybe he is about ready.

Agreed. In 2014 we had Waller and Smelter, both drafted into the NFL. Waller could burn you long and Smelter had some of the best hands we've seen in a while, but schematically, we weren't dazzling anyone. Not to say we're dazzling anyone right now, but our passing game now has so many more weapons and routes available. With Jeune and Stewart at WR, Lynch and Searcy at AB, and Marshall for the BB passes, we have the potential to run a very effective passing game. There are also other highly capable WRs and ABs on our roster able to sub in and make an impact as well. If we keep developing the receiving corps this way, we might be in for a real treat in a couple of years if someone like Lucas Johnson wins the starting QB job.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I can't comprehend a fan saying we have "no passing threat" this year. One of the reasons our rushing stats are low this year is because the passing game is actually working (aside from Clemson where nothing worked).

I was actually calling for us to pass more last Saturday. We were getting whatever we wanted through the air. If we took away JT's scramble yardage away, our base offense wasn't running that great because Duke was selling out. Luckily, we were making them pay for that. I was waiting for them to start respecting the pass a little more and open the floodgates for the run, but they never did. I think most teams won't stay that aggressive, but if they do, I have confidence our guys can move the ball through the air.

Dare I say it, I tend to be pretty confident or at least at peace when we throw the ball right now. Many times in the CPJ era, every passing play was a "hold your breath for a possible disaster" moment.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Dare I say it, I tend to be pretty confident or at least at peace when we throw the ball right now. Many times in the CPJ era, every passing play was a "hold your breath for a possible disaster" moment.

This. Since CPJ has been here, I have really only been confident in the passing game a few times. In 2008-9, I had no doubt Thomas was going to come down with a ball if thrown his way. In 2014 Smelter and Waller were simply amazing, and Smelter himself just seemed to be so clutch. This year is starting to get that same feeling. JeT has been amazing over the course of the last three games, and I think he will continue that trend through the UNC game. The real test will be against VTs physical corners.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This. Since CPJ has been here, I have really only been confident in the passing game a few times. In 2008-9, I had no doubt Thomas was going to come down with a ball if thrown his way. In 2014 Smelter and Waller were simply amazing, and Smelter himself just seemed to be so clutch. This year is starting to get that same feeling. JeT has been amazing over the course of the last three games, and I think he will continue that trend through the UNC game. The real test will be against VTs physical corners.

This. However, I would probably put a greater emphasis on our WR's ability to catch the ball rather than our QB's ability to pass as the deciding factor. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think TW got a bad rap as not having a great arm because he stopped trusting receivers to catch passes thrown on a rope. Dude was dropped more than [pick your font]'s wife before she married.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This. However, I would probably put a greater emphasis on our WR's ability to catch the ball rather than our QB's ability to pass as the deciding factor. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think TW got a bad rap as not having a great arm because he stopped trusting receivers to catch passes thrown on a rope. Dude was dropped more than [pick your font]'s wife before she married.

I almost listed 2012, but didn't. TW had an outstanding season, but the lack of a "go to" receiver really kind of hurt him. He was masterful at spreading the ball around, and Godhigh was a revelation that season from the AB position.