3 UCLA players arrested by Chinese Police

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Simply keeping this story alive to chide one of our members who've a self-described Lavar fanatic ...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ball-serious-talks-lithuanian-basketball-club

Title should've read, "Looks like Lithuania Finally Has it's Balls". No? Ah, I tried.

On a serious note, this team plays in a 1,700 seat arena. Does not practice much and does not have a GM due to money issues IIUC. The only American player they've ever had only lasted a month. Some former Vandy guard who's name I can't recall right now. They said it on the radio and I didn't recognize the guy.

The Balls will make something like $500/game, again, IIRC.

Smells like they'll probably be there long enough to play a game, get some negligible publicity (because ... America) then will leave the team citing differences or w/e.

Surely this can't be a good decision for either of their actual careers.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Simply keeping this story alive to chide one of our members who've a self-described Lavar fanatic ...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ball-serious-talks-lithuanian-basketball-club

Title should've read, "Looks like Lithuania Finally Has it's Balls". No? Ah, I tried.

On a serious note, this team plays in a 1,700 seat arena. Does not practice much and does not have a GM due to money issues IIUC. The only American player they've ever had only lasted a month. Some former Vandy guard who's name I can't recall right now. They said it on the radio and I didn't recognize the guy.

The Balls will make something like $500/game, again, IIRC.

Smells like they'll probably be there long enough to play a game, get some negligible publicity (because ... America) then will leave the team citing differences or w/e.

Surely this can't be a good decision for either of their actual careers.

Probably just over there to film their "reality show" or whatever. I gotta admit, it would be hilarious TV watching these spoiled kids live in this tiny village where nobody understands them and they have none of the amenities they're used to in LA. Lavar being Lavar with 50 people in the stands talking about how his sons will be on the Lakers next year. All part of his master plan! Lol

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think it goes in the "be careful what you wish for" category :woot:

Mmhmm and also illustrates that they have/had no idea what the non-NBA system of pro basketball looks like.

Then again, one could say they hand-picked a situation in which they could exert the highest degree of control. One assessment of their choice is that this team needs major help financially so the Balls could have more power here than most other Euro teams.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why in God's green earth do I want power with/over a team in a god forsaken part of Lithuania that seats 1700 and my kid may make a couple of grand while he gives up the ability to get a fully funded education. If "power" means that much to this imbecile then he is getting what he deserves and unfortunately taking 2 kids with him

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Why in God's green earth do I want power with/over a team in a god forsaken part of Lithuania that seats 1700 and my kid may make a couple of grand while he gives up the ability to get a fully funded education. If "power" means that much to this imbecile then he is getting what he deserves and unfortunately taking 2 kids with him

Yeah Jello really screwed up by stealing over in China, it looked like he got off scot-free at first... But the real punishment is leaving being big man on campus at UCLA to getting shipped off to the gulags. I know the younger brother must be really pissed, basically paying for the mistakes of his older brother. Seriously, the youngest brother actually has a real shot at the NBA and I feel like his chances just took a huge hit. Dumb decision to steal and even dumber parenting, Lavar is too selfish and is more concerned about his "brand" then his kids' future.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

So, here's my thinkig. I think, at this point, it's more about getting the youngest one either draft-able or get enough tape to justify being signed by someone. He was never going to be eligible at UCLA so he was (likely) always going to have to play overseas.

Well, that being said, if he joins one of the "real" leagues it's likely he'd never play. So how can they get him minutes and (more importantly) shots? In comes the rando Lithuanian team over which they can likely exert a degree of control.

Oh, the middle son? Eh, get him open enough such that he may make enough shots to justify a camp invite.

So it's not so much seeking power. It's more like trying to make the best of the situation.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So, here's my thinkig. I think, at this point, it's more about getting the youngest one either draft-able or get enough tape to justify being signed by someone. He was never going to be eligible at UCLA so he was (likely) always going to have to play overseas.

Well, that being said, if he joins one of the "real" leagues it's likely he'd never play. So how can they get him minutes and (more importantly) shots? In comes the rando Lithuanian team over which they can likely exert a degree of control.

Oh, the middle son? Eh, get him open enough such that he may make enough shots to justify a camp invite.

So it's not so much seeking power. It's more like trying to make the best of the situation.
I see your point, but middle son was never going to play in the NBA, so why mess with his chance of being allowed to play later, even if next season. I see you point also on #3 son, but wonder if the spineless NCAA would have carved out a new rule for an athlete who owned his own business. There is no rule that explicitly forbids him having his own brand of shoes. It is difficult to claim a kid in high school has substantial marketing clout based on his athletic ability. I can agree that he has clout based on his family's celebrity/notoriety, but Bill Lambier never made as much money as an NBA player as his father made as President of Owens-Illinois. It was joked that he had more spending money while he played at Notre Dame than Digger Phelps.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I see your point, but middle son was never going to play in the NBA, so why mess with his chance of being allowed to play later, even if next season. I see you point also on #3 son, but wonder if the spineless NCAA would have carved out a new rule for an athlete who owned his own business. There is no rule that explicitly forbids him having his own brand of shoes. It is difficult to claim a kid in high school has substantial marketing clout based on his athletic ability. I can agree that he has clout based on his family's celebrity/notoriety, but Bill Lambier never made as much money as an NBA player as his father made as President of Owens-Illinois. It was joked that he had more spending money while he played at Notre Dame than Digger Phelps.

There is a mechanism by which a player who owns his own business can still be eligible. Forgive me but I've forgotten the particulars. Greg Anthony IIRC had a burgeoning t-shirt business while at UNLV or STTE. Also IIUC, one of our walk-ons is some sort of entrepreneur (Jon Brown?).

I don't think the UNCAA even knows yet whether or not the 3rd Ball will be eligible. It'll be a battle at the very least.

I think we agree overall that this whole situation is being botched. At the very least, he's making things more difficult than they have to be.

On top of that IMHO, the 3rd Ball's NBA prospects are more questionable than most seem willing to believe. To me it's Lonzo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Limelo(sp?) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Liangelo(sp?)

Think about it, the dude was taking halfcourt shots in the middle of games and playing no defense. Not simply playing poor defense, he was literally not crossing halfcourt?!

Could this whole thing be a ploy to avoid him getting exposed at UCLA?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If this Latvian team pays either kid a couple of grand they are not NCAA eligible going forward unless there is some loophole about paying back earnings that come directly from playing.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought they had both signed with an agent
If this Latvian team pays either kid a couple of grand they are not NCAA eligible going forward unless there is some loophole about paying back earnings that come directly from playing.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Have you seen that show where an overbearing father totally f's up the careers of his children because he can't just sit back and let his kids live their lives?

It's called the "I'm Lavar Ball, and I'm living the life I wanted through my kids" show. It's funny in a very sad way.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/repo...vell_AJC&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Gotta give Lavar credit for giving the "system" the bird. If he can make this happen, good for him. The NCAA is just a pimp for the professional leagues. If I'm Vince McMahon, who wants to start back up a pro league to compete with the NFL, I'm going after HS seniors. Let's be real, kids who go the factories for football, a good majority of them aren't finishing their degrees. Might as well make some money off their blood and sweat. If they're good enough, the NFL or NBA will sign them anyhow. Also, they could possibly circumvent the NFL draft that caps their salaries.

If anything, pro leagues that go after HS kids are only going to force the hand of the NBA and NFL.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
https://www.seccountry.com/sec/repo...vell_AJC&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Gotta give Lavar credit for giving the "system" the bird. If he can make this happen, good for him. The NCAA is just a pimp for the professional leagues. If I'm Vince McMahon, who wants to start back up a pro league to compete with the NFL, I'm going after HS seniors. Let's be real, kids who go the factories for football, a good majority of them aren't finishing their degrees. Might as well make some money off their blood and sweat. If they're good enough, the NFL or NBA will sign them anyhow. Also, they could possibly circumvent the NFL draft that caps their salaries.

If anything, pro leagues that go after HS kids are only going to force the hand of the NBA and NFL.

With the current state of the UNCAA, this is a superb idea if he/they can pull it off.

Even the staunchest BigBall supporter @Peacone36 has to admit that.