3 dismissed, 1 suspended

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Such an "old school" mentality. Not true at all. There are outliers but I don't think these kids are breaking rules due to some "video game mentality" if you spend your childhood playing too many video games you don't play high school football, work out daily, and make it onto a D1 program. Weed is a cultural issue for certain races and is a high school/college issue in general. These guys see players getting away with it at other schools and they think they can do the same, that's all their is to it. Our generation isn't all addicted to video games like people think for some dumb reason.

We will have to agree to disagree. Weed is no longer a cultural issue for certain races, it is an issue for all races. If you don't know that, then you don't know what is going on with your generation.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can't tell you how many times a former player has approached me, years after graduating, and thanked me for holding him accountable. Many say that if they hadn't been held to account then they probably wouldn't have learned their lesson. It makes me feel good to know that I had a positive impact on some youngsters, who I forced to make some changes along the way. I am sure there are some others who remain resentful, but those types typically don't get it anyway (or have the stones to talk to me) so I never seem to hear from them.

Folks, these losses accrued over the off season are going to hurt the program for a while. There is no real positive way to spin this. However, failing to address the issues at this time would hurt it even more. My hope is that, over the long haul, we will be better off AND so will all the individuals involved.

For those who say the majority of athletes do it: I say BS. I was a GT athlete in the 80's and I never did anything like that. I knew all my teammates and many players in other sports very well and I say with great confidence that they weren't either. I wasn't always an angel, but I was smart enough to know where to draw the line. I know times have changed and I am no longer in touch with the younger crowd the same way, but I steadfastly believe the majority of serious student athletes are pretty good eggs. We don't actually know what the infractions are and it might be inappropriate to speculate, but in my mind, it really doesn't matter. Whatever the negative behavior was, it needed to stop. Making young people face consequences is part of being a responsible adult. I wish each of these kids good luck and I hope they spend some time looking in the mirror and asking themselves who they really are.

Maybe some of these guys were destined never to have a huge impact for GT, but I feel pretty sure that some of them would have. Either way, it doesn't matter now. The rest need to step it up. To all the recruits out there.......opportunity calls.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I would be interested in seeing actual statistics about drug usage today versus yester year. I knew growing up who was smoking pot and who was out drinking. It is normal to experiment but I doubt that the vast majority is doing it. It may seem like they are smoking all day but i assure you that less than 50% are smoking pot regularly. I would bet on it. We all encounter people who are drug users in our life, whether it be perscription or illegal. You have to weigh every option accordingly. But as far as the reset, video game, everyone gets a trophy generation I for one dont' think that is it. Every generation feels that the one behind it has it easier and didn't have to do what i did. The reason is most of the time they didn't. I still play video games...i am only 29 but it is about how you were raised and the values you set for yourself.

Smoking pot regularly and occasional drug use are two different things. But I would be willing to bet at any high school the majority of kids are occasional users. Many of the them are sucessful students and good athletes.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys, I hate to say this, but I would be willing to bet that the majority of GT athletes in all sports are regular marijuana users. At my old high school drug usage is common among the white, middle class, AP students. Our school is located in a rural area far from any big city. If a majority of these high school students occasionally partake, it is an almost certainty that GT college athletes do as well. I know it is hard to believe, but times have changed. We are foolish to believe otherwise.
My sons do not smoke dope . I don't agree with the " times have changed " . Its a decision . A friend told me a long time ago , there is no such thing as peer pressure . you make your own decisions .

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's the math as I understand it. You get 25 scholarships/yr. Last year's class was 22 including Kagawa. 4 of those 22 enrolled early, and when that happens those 4 get to count toward the previous year's class.

That means last year's class nets down to 18. Therefore in theory we could take up to 32 this year as long as two parameters are met - 1) 7 of those early enroll, counting toward the previous year's limit and 2) we do not exceed 85 total scholarships on roster.

That's how I believe the rule still works. I may be off in terms of last year's class size i.e., not sure if transfers in count toward the annual limit. Given that we often redshirt we usually can't take the max each year due to the 85 limit, not the 25.

You are correct.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I can't tell you how many times a former player has approached me, years after graduating, and thanked me for holding him accountable. Many say that if they hadn't been held to account then they probably wouldn't have learned their lesson. It makes me feel good to know that I had a positive impact on some youngsters, who I forced to make some changes along the way. I am sure there are some others who remain resentful, but those types typically don't get it anyway (or have the stones to talk to me) so I never seem to hear from them.

Folks, these losses accrued over the off season are going to hurt the program for a while. There is no real positive way to spin this. However, failing to address the issues at this time would hurt it even more. My hope is that, over the long haul, we will be better off AND so will all the individuals involved.

For those who say the majority of athletes do it: I say BS. I was a GT athlete in the 80's and I never did anything like that. I knew all my teammates and many players in other sports very well and I say with great confidence that they weren't either. I wasn't always an angel, but I was smart enough to know where to draw the line. I know times have changed and I am no longer in touch with the younger crowd the same way, but I steadfastly believe the majority of serious student athletes are pretty good eggs. We don't actually know what the infractions are and it might be inappropriate to speculate, but in my mind, it really doesn't matter. Whatever the negative behavior was, it needed to stop. Making young people face consequences is part of being a responsible adult. I wish each of these kids good luck and I hope they spend some time looking in the mirror and asking themselves who they really are.

Maybe some of these guys were destined never to have a huge impact for GT, but I feel pretty sure that some of them would have. Either way, it doesn't matter now. The rest need to step it up. To all the recruits out there.......opportunity calls.

First bommer let me just say that it isn't BS. Second, these kids are good eggs boomer, they are just smoking pot. Some regularly, some occasionally. And they can smoke while being successful in and out of the classroom. Micheal Phelps (sp?) is the most decorated Olympian in history and he got caught on social media smoking pot. It wasn't his first time either because he was using a rather large bong in the picture.

Again, I am from a small town. My son is on the football team. He can only name four upperclassman on the team that don't smoke pot at least occasionally. It hurt me to hear it because I know all of his friends, and they are good kids from good homes. Many of them are in AP or gifted classes with him.

I know you don't believe it, but it is true. We have to stop thinking that smoking pot is just for pot heads and other undesirables. Kids of this generation smoke pot like kids of our generation drank.

Let me be clear, I have never smoked pot and I am not defending what these kids do. I am simply stating the way things are, not the pollyanna version of the way we want things to be.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
We will have to agree to disagree. Weed is no longer a cultural issue for certain races, it is an issue for all races. If you don't know that, then you don't know what is going on with your generation.
I know my generation well, I also know that I mentioned that it is a high school/college problem. I live in a culturally diverse neighborhood. Adults in my neighborhood smoke weed regularly. Adults in my parents neighborhood, that isn't as diverse, has no weed smoking going on, the median age in our neighborhoods is very similar. I'm not saying that my neighborhood is problematic because it really hasn't been very problematic, but it is a drug that certain races use throughout life, it is also used by all races in high school and college but some races quit using (for the majority) after college. If you think that isn't factual, or you think I'm being racist when I say that, I simply ask you to open your eyes.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I have smoked pot back when I was in college and if they legalize it, I may smoke it again occasionally. Until and if they do that, I won't do it.

However, I do believe this issue (pot) will become a non-issue within 6 - 8 years at the outside, because by that time, it will likely be legal in all 50 states.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I have smoked pot back when I was in college and if they legalize it, I may smoke it again occasionally. Until and if they do that, I won't do it.

However, I do believe this issue (pot) will become a non-issue within 6 - 8 years at the outside, because by that time, it will likely be legal in all 50 states.
I agree, I don't know if I am for or against the legalization of marijuana, but I do think it will be legalized over the next several years and that will keep a lot of college players on teams, because it seems to be one of the largest reason players are excused behind grades.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Seems like Anthony Autry has been gettin in trouble since day one. Was hoping he would straighten up, hope lil bro has a better head on his shoulders
Tech gave him several chances. He only had one other DI offer and that was Indiana. He had a two star ranking and no real interest outside of small programs. (Interestingly, Travin Henry's only offer was from Tech.) Tech showed that he had promise as a student athlete. Too bad he used up all of his chances.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, I don't check for 5 hours and this ...... GT didn't waste any time deleting them from the roster ...... http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/geot-m-footbl-mtt.html

After reading 7 pages, how do we know it was pot? *** u & me ......... I understand the third violation speculation, but we just don't know what all three violations were.

Any way, I hope they stay at GT and get their degrees. But they probably can't afford it. Sorry, this is just depressing.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Wow, I don't check for 5 hours and this ...... GT didn't waste any time deleting them from the roster ...... http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/geot-m-footbl-mtt.html

After reading 7 pages, how do we know it was pot? *** u & me ......... I understand the third violation speculation, but we just don't know what all three violations were.

Any way, I hope they stay at GT and get their degrees. But they probably can't afford it. Sorry, this is just depressing.

You're right, we shouldn't be speculating what it was, although that seems most likely. Could have been something else. Sucks, because a couple of these guys could have been really good or useful In some way, but whatever it was you can't screw up a third time when you've been told not to do something twice before.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I know my generation well, I also know that I mentioned that it is a high school/college problem. I live in a culturally diverse neighborhood. Adults in my neighborhood smoke weed regularly. Adults in my parents neighborhood, that isn't as diverse, has no weed smoking going on, the median age in our neighborhoods is very similar. I'm not saying that my neighborhood is problematic because it really hasn't been very problematic, but it is a drug that certain races use throughout life, it is also used by all races in high school and college but some races quit using (for the majority) after college. If you think that isn't factual, or you think I'm being racist when I say that, I simply ask you to open your eyes.

Sorry, I did not understand that you were an adult. I should have read your post more thoroughly. But to get back to the original point - we are talking about high school and college age kids. When you said your generation, I mistakenly thought you meant you were of that age. My point is that a majority of these kids, not adults like yourself, are at least occasional drug users.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The only other solution is every athlete on every team in the NCAA smokes pot all the time. What's the NCAA and colleges going to do? Shut down athletics because all the free labor...I mean athletes are suspended?

I say that in jest, but man if that were to really happen...

I agree, I don't know if I am for or against the legalization of marijuana, but I do think it will be legalized over the next several years and that will keep a lot of college players on teams, because it seems to be one of the largest reason players are excused behind grades.
Even if it is legalized, smoking it still makes you high, and if you can be disciplined for being drunk, you sure as hell will still be able to be disciplined for being high.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Even if it is legalized, smoking it still makes you high, and if you can be disciplined for being drunk, you sure as hell will still be able to be disciplined for being high.
Thanks for that clarification pops. You can be disciplined for showing up to practice drunk but whatever you do on you own time is your own business(of course assuming OU stay out of trouble). Logic says the same would apply to marijuana if and when it is legalized.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't see why you think griffin is repentant. It sounds like he is at two strikes, and the other guys just reached strike three. If griffin screws up once more he is next.
Evidently you do follow the suspension articles. Please provide an article, statement, or anything to support your statement. He has not gotten into any trouble and is truly sorry. Would you prefer he write you a personal letter of apology. There is more to this story but I was asked not to share it and to allow the this to past. This kid is sorry and from what the coaches are saying he is a good kid.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This board has jumped to several assumptions needlessly. Drugs may or might not have been involved. Doesn't matter. The important thing was rules were broken and players were held accountable. If you want to discuss the merits of legalizing marijuana I suggest doing so in a separate thread.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
The only other solution is every athlete on every team in the NCAA smokes pot all the time. What's the NCAA and colleges going to do? Shut down athletics because all the free labor...I mean athletes are suspended?

I say that in jest, but man if that were to really happen...

Actually, I wonder what happens in the states of Colorado and Washington? With recreational pot being legal there, are the players still subjected to marijuana testing?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like Griffin is repentant and that is a good thing. Great things can come out of adversity and I hope the rest use this to become better, not bitter. Personally I don't see this as an indictment of PJ at all. I have hired a lot of people over the years and despite my best efforts, some were total busts because of choices they made. A football coach can't totally control the choices each player makes and this just happens sometimes. A judgment criteria that has served me well is "What are you characterized by". Applying that method, if this specific situation were typical of PJ teams then I would be very critical but as I understand it, this is an exception that I hope we use for good.

For me every victory this year will be sweeter because of what now must be overcome.
Coaches have to be almost surrogate parents today. They offer support, encouragement and second chances. They also have to let natural consequences take their course and give kids the freedom to make mistakes and either learn from them or not.