Article 2024 Preseason / Fall Camp

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I was told specifically that the pass rush was much improved. Not sure if that's a good thing for our D or a bad thing for our O?
Key mentioned it was a give and take thing: good that D has improved but always wants to show the O where they went wrong.

Reading between the lines of coach speak, it looks like D is much better than last year and challenging our O more than usual. Should result in better pass protection from our O line if they’re going up against tougher practice

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
O always takes a tad longer to gel. D should be competitive right now with them.

If we think our O is going to be what we hope i see the D starting to get smacked down soon. Jmho. The best qb in the land should tear them up. And lets face it. We have no delusions that we have a top 10 d.

I think its more time of camp as much as anything.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
The body language and statements of Coach Norvell and the DC Coach Fuller were not good after their first scrimmage in contrast with Coach Key's upbeat assessment. They ran 120 plays ( compared to our 160), had drops, missed tackles and held out many of their front line OLs and DLs out for fear of injury. In contrast to their statements that this FSU team has more depth, by all accounts in their media they have almost no depth in their DL and LB rooms. They have a ton of depth with their DBs and RBs , but many unknowns in their WR room. Tech will be the better team on August 24.
Give me more of this.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Chase Lane was Haynes Kings TAM buddy who portaled to Texas and recutied Haynes.

They had lots of reps at TAM and in Texas. During first part of last year Lane was our leading reciever, but then he Chase got injured. During offseason Chase had surgery to fix the issue. Reports from camp is that he is fully recovered and having a good camp. That bodes well for the offense.

Chase has recently experienced a family loss. But he is out there with his brothers getting better in the scrimage. That bodes well for the band of brothers team that Key is building.
Whether it means anything--both were listed as STARTERS at A&M by a Nat mag 2 yrs ago.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Really promising news about defense/offense being evenly matched. I feel we all have lots of confidence in the offense, so if the defense is keeping them in check in practice that bodes well for the fall.
The BIG factor not seen much is in running the Off vs the DEf is our QB RUNS.In a scrimmage I doubt the QB gets tackled so King gashing a DEF with a real run (and worrying about a serious pass rush tackle) is unlikely.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
O always takes a tad longer to gel. D should be competitive right now with them.

If we think our O is going to be what we hope i see the D starting to get smacked down soon. Jmho. The best qb in the land should tear them up. And lets face it. We have no delusions that we have a top 10 d.

I think its more time of camp as much as anything.
Top 25 offense and top 50 defense wins 8 games this year. I still don’t know why people act like we have murderer’s row for a schedule. Most of the ACC teams people are saying are tough will be .500 in conference play by the end of the year. We’ll beat somebody we shouldn’t and lose to somebody we shouldn’t anyway.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
Give me more of this.
Everything came together for FSU last year. All their stars left including Jordan Travis ( 10 were drafted.) It was interesting Coach Key said our first scrimmage last year we ran 120 plays - the same as FSU did on Saturday . So they are banking on a run heavy offense with one bruising back and one in space guy. The OL is old, but didn't block well in the run game last year according to their media. With the health issues some of these guys have had, I just wonder how game ready they will be and how much chemistry they will have ( by sitting out live scrimmages)? The FSU Coaching staff does not have any depth, particularly as I mentioned (at DT and LB.) The injury bug really got to them last year and it's in their head. And they really don't see who will play their second WR? They have been pleased with a 6'7" TE who was the backup last year. DJ has been nothing special so far- they talk more about his character and maturity than anything else. Count on several three and outs. He can throw the deep ball however. On defense, they have an elite secondary, and two pretty good (athletic) DEs and two veteran, monster DTs. If we can get two or three decent drives going early ( much like we did against UGA on the ground) - I think we win hands down. It's about getting good blocking angles and running Buster's patented misdirection at their inexperienced LBs. . FSU being ranked pre season #10 is all about Coach Mile Norvell's reputation as an offensive mastermind and portal king. Miami is going to be a far tougher opponent.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Everything came together for FSU last year. All their stars left including Jordan Travis ( 10 were drafted.) It was interesting Coach Key said our first scrimmage last year we ran 120 plays - the same as FSU did on Saturday . So they are banking on a run heavy offense with one bruising back and one in space guy. The OL is old, but didn't block well in the run game last year according to their media. With the health issues some of these guys have had, I just wonder how game ready they will be and how much chemistry they will have ( by sitting out live scrimmages)? The FSU Coaching staff does not have any depth, particularly as I mentioned (at DT and LB.) The injury bug really got to them last year and it's in their head. And they really don't see who will play their second WR? They have been pleased with a 6'7" TE who was the backup last year. DJ has been nothing special so far- they talk more about his character and maturity than anything else. Count on several three and outs. He can throw the deep ball however. On defense, they have an elite secondary, and two pretty good (athletic) DEs and two veteran, monster DTs. If we can get two or three decent drives going early ( much like we did against UGA on the ground) - I think we win hands down. It's about getting good blocking angles and running Buster's patented misdirection at their inexperienced LBs. . FSU being ranked pre season #10 is all about Coach Mile Norvell's reputation as an offensive mastermind and portal king. Miami is going to be a far tougher opponent.
I can't tell if you've scouted them this deeply or this is satire. But I'm seeing gold and white and I'm taking every bit of this to heart lmao. Can't wait to win in 18 days