Article 2024 Preseason / Fall Camp

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow

Just finished watching this, and I have to say how impressed I am with the thoroughness of Coach Key in all aspects of the program. His comments reveal how his assistant coaching hires, the recruiting and academic support staff, even the guest speakers on campus this week all complement one another as they work towards achieving success. Constant improvement remains a theme. Even Key's ability to articulate his thoughts to the media has shown improvement over time. Granted, the team has a super difficult schedule and there's no way to predict how injuries may shape the season, but I'm fired up about this year and the direction of the program in general. 'Go Jackets!'

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just finished watching this, and I have to say how impressed I am with the thoroughness of Coach Key in all aspects of the program. His comments reveal how his assistant coaching hires, the recruiting and academic support staff, even the guest speakers on campus this week all complement one another as they work towards achieving success. Constant improvement remains a theme. Even Key's ability to articulate his thoughts to the media has shown improvement over time. Granted, the team has a super difficult schedule and there's no way to predict how injuries may shape the season, but I'm fired up about this year and the direction of the program in general. 'Go Jackets!'
I am constantly amazed at how well he handles the media, literally coaching/teasing them on how to ask questions, but also giving good answers and creating a rapport with the media pool. That can only help us long term.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. My only concern is how fragile the program might still be at this point. I wish this year's schedule was a bit easier so they would have a better chance to put together a special season and really cement the changes that have taken place. But it's not, and they have to play who they have to play. Having typed that, I think CBK & Co. are building a tough-minded program, one that resembles GOL and Saban, his two main mentors. CBK isn't skinny jeans and slick hyperbole, he's a cutoff hoodie and substantive coach talk. I think we'll be OK whatever happens, but I also think there's more than a small chance that this team can have a breakout season. If so, I'd rather do that against the toughest schedule possible. There's no better time that the present.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I was taught at an early age that when you address someone looked them directly in the eye, that's Coach Key, no BS !

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
"... every Jacket that was able played Saturday."

Yes, I liked that too. Now's the time to do it; Tech has a lot of new players and the coaches need to look at them and the underclassmen to get some evaluations. I think that is very encouraging. One of the things I didn't like - among many - about TFG is that there was a lot of talk about this but not much in the way of visible followthrough. MacKenny would never have taken an OL spot under him, for instance. Now, he's living proof to the troops that it's your performance that counts.

Hear, hear for that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Chase Lane was Haynes Kings TAM buddy who portaled to Texas and recutied Haynes.

They had lots of reps at TAM and in Texas. During first part of last year Lane was our leading reciever, but then he Chase got injured. During offseason Chase had surgery to fix the issue. Reports from camp is that he is fully recovered and having a good camp. That bodes well for the offense.

Chase has recently experienced a family loss. But he is out there with his brothers getting better in the scrimage. That bodes well for the band of brothers team that Key is building.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Love to see Luke Harpring get mentioned at tight end. Almost wrote Matt🙂. If he has the athleticism of his brother he will be on the field somewhere in the Fall.
What sport and where did his brother play? Or did you possibly mean his Dad? I'm not familiar with the whole family.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What sport and where did his brother play? Or did you possibly mean his Dad? I'm not familiar with the whole family.
I think Chas meant his dad (aplogies if incorrect). While Matt was a great athlete (see his long stint in the NBA as ehibit 1) his "want to" was equal to, if not greater than, his athletic ability. Matt H. was/is one of the top 5 athletes in the storied history of GT athletics when you evauate everything imo. Hope Luke can be even 1/2 of what his father was for us.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
The body language and statements of Coach Norvell and the DC Coach Fuller were not good after their first scrimmage in contrast with Coach Key's upbeat assessment. They ran 120 plays ( compared to our 160), had drops, missed tackles and held out many of their front line OLs and DLs out for fear of injury. In contrast to their statements that this FSU team has more depth, by all accounts in their media they have almost no depth in their DL and LB rooms. They have a ton of depth with their DBs and RBs , but many unknowns in their WR room. Tech will be the better team on August 24.