Article 2024 Preseason / Fall Camp

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
My prediction is not really a prediction, but a "hoped for" scenario.

We need to beat FSU. Or, at least make this a last possession game. Then clean up GSU, Cuse, and VMI. No let downs. 3-1 or 4-0 looks pretty good to me at this point.

UL will be the next really interesting game. It's on the road and their first real game. If we are going to be good, this game will be where we show it.

Then we have Duke at home after an off week. We need to take care of business. It starts to get really hard after this week.

Traveling to Chapel Hill is not as fearsome as it used to be because UNC doesn't seem to live up to preseason hype. Carolina could be undefeated when we play them because they don't play a single tough game prior to that weekend. I want us to be, at worst, 5-2 after this game.

The Irish are loaded according to what I have read, so the game at MBS will require an upset. I don't expect it to happen.

If we can split our last four games it will be a good season. at worst 7-5 and maybe 8-4. I don't hold out much hope for 9 wins. The last five games are a gauntlet.

Syracuse is a tough one to gauge. Playing up there blows. And while they haven’t recruited HS well at all, they’ve done well in the portal. McCord got cut from OSU but he’s still one of (if not the) highest rated QBs in the entire conference coming out of HS.

We have the better roster but it’s certainly not a gimme up there. They’re probably a lock for 8+ wins with that joke of a schedule too.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Well, Key laid it out--the DEF line esp has been pleasing.Standing up to an OL that most believe is fairly good. Only time will tell but since Key doesn't BS much, that has got to be really positive.,
otho-- if DJ Moore really was in the 2nd unit at safety after moving over ,learning a completely new position, from WR after 2 yrs-- that does not speak well for the DBs and the transfers- in especially.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Syracuse is a tough one to gauge. Playing up there blows. And while they haven’t recruited HS well at all, they’ve done well in the portal. McCord got cut from OSU but he’s still one of (if not the) highest rated QBs in the entire conference coming out of HS.

We have the better roster but it’s certainly not a gimme up there. They’re probably a lock for 8+ wins with that joke of a schedule too.
Agreed. Their o/u for the season is 7.5 wins because of the schedule.

With that said, I also agree that our game @ Cuse game will be a coin flip (+/- 3 points) and it won't surprise me if they are favored.
  • Our game with them was last year at BDS was close into the 4th quarter
  • They return most of their first string difference-makers
  • They get a former first team all ACC WR/TE back from injury in Gadsden (our version of Blackburn, except Gadsden's actually performed on the field)
  • They now have a QB who can throw the ball
  • They added a good DE from Texas A&M
Question marks are real
  • Can they get on the same page w/ QB in their first real game of the season?
  • Can their coaches coach?
  • Can their OL gel?
Timing seems to work in our favor with our returning O, but the game makes me nervous.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Well, Key laid it out--the DEF line esp has been pleasing.Standing up to an OL that most believe is fairly good. Only time will tell but since Key doesn't BS much, that has got to be really positive.,
otho-- if DJ Moore really was in the 2nd unit at safety after moving over ,learning a completely new position, from WR after 2 yrs-- that does not speak well for the DBs and the transfers- in especially.

DJ was a highly rated WR. Very good athlete. He has been in the GT system 3 years. Two DB's behind him are new (one RFreshman transfer and one true Freshman both 2 months in the GT system, and two more are young walk-ons. DJ, like Jamal Haynes, has made a quick adjustment . He has probably played DB before. Not surprising he was ahead of one recent young transfer and one freshman both who just got here and two walk-ons with less time at GT than DJ.

Last edited:

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer

We need to beat FSU. Or, at least make this a last possession game. Then clean up GSU, Cuse, and VMI. No let downs. 3-1 or 4-0 looks pretty good to me at this point.

UL will be the next really interesting game. It's on the road and their first real game. If we are going to be good, this game will be where we show it.

Then we have Duke at home after an off week. We need to take care of business. It starts to get really hard after this week.

Traveling to Chapel Hill is not as fearsome as it used to be because UNC doesn't seem to live up to preseason hype. Carolina could be undefeated when we play them because they don't play a single tough game prior to that weekend. I want us to be, at worst, 5-2 after this game.

The Irish are loaded according to what I have read, so the game at MBS will require an upset. I don't expect it to happen.

If we can split our last four games it will be a good season. at worst 7-5 and maybe 8-4. I don't hold out much hope for 9 wins. The last five games are a gauntlet.
This team could be ready for a gauntlet by then, I really like our schedule, I think we put GT back in the game with this team, this schedule, this year. We're catching FSU at the right time IMO, not saying we're going to beat them but it would not be a complete surprise if we do. I like our schedule combined with our depth and our new defense. Yes I have the pre season disease that I get many years.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Really good summary = thinking positively that we are getting better faster than most people think.

I want to beat Lousiville- we had them last year.

If we are going to be ready for the uga, mia unc we need to play well verses nd an vt. nd in benz with our oc on prime time and then the commentator's favorite vt.

Don't forget we get to byes late in year and at end
King is like a horse going back to the barn.
IFIT