2024 offseason

slugboy

Staff member
This is paywalled, but an interesting view of how NBA teams build their rosters.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/57...eams-depth-charts/?source=user_shared_article

2024 NBA team position rankings: Projecting all 30 teams’ depth charts

Boston has 2 guards, 2 forwards, and a center. That’s what Stoudamire saw last. There’s also the idea of positional flexibility—you aren’t a center who plays point, but you can do forward things.

Here’s the definitions they used

• Point guard: Primary pick-and-roll ballhandlers, playmakers, passers, pace-setters and caretakers.
  • Shooting guard: On- or off-ball players with shooting ability across various levels, especially off the catch from 3.
  • Small forward: Primary perimeter defender, fast-break finisher and half-court cutter.
  • Power forward: More size than a wing, especially to rebound on both ends, without always having the primary interior responsibilities of a center.
  • Center: Rim protection and screening, especially in pick-and-rolls.
That might leave a role for the bigs.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So, Doryan is coming along faster than I expected. Could he be another Ndongo?
I do not think this changes what we expected. Powell was always going to be a rotational player. I have said Doryan would be also by January. Let's not get too hyped by this news. Rothstein is seeking clicks, but there is always a bit of truth in his posts. Does this make us a NCAA possible team? Maybe. But we still need to do it on the court.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I do not think this changes what we expected. Powell was always going to be a rotational player. I have said Doryan would be also by January. Let's not get too hyped by this news. Rothstein is seeking clicks, but there is always a bit of truth in his posts. Does this make us a NCAA possible team? Maybe. But we still need to do it on the court.
I was gonna say, let's not anoint DO based off of a Jon Rothstein tweet. His "source" probably saw one practice or a series of plays and said that.

Doryan is going to do what most freshmen do. He's going to have some great moments, and I'm sure there will be some head scratching moments.

Like you, my hope is that by ACC play, he's ready to take a step forward. He and Powell can be a strong rotation.