2024 offseason

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bet is DO must average 10 mins per game for all conference and the ACC tournament games he is available to play.

$100 to charity of choice
Adding line in sig stating they were wrong and other person was right.

And, if I am wrong, adding a mea culpa in your sig for falsely insinuating that I would not acknowledge my mistake. (Once I do, of course).

I will add one caveat. If either Baye or O'Brien get hurt, then the bet is null. I will still give $100 to a charity if he averages 10 mins per game, but my assertion is based on those two players staying healthy and I would not be under any obligation to admit that I am wrong if they miss time.

I've made these wagers with other posters and no one ever takes me up on it.

Now I know to go to you and @Connell62 to make these bets.

Either way, GT wins. I hope you both lose...or win...

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I explained why that is not true above. Again, ED averaged nearly twice as many minutes per game in non conference than in conference. ED was clearly a role player but the minutes in non conference play suggested otherwise.
I agree with you about the preseason games being places where CDS will experiment with lineups he might not, certain will not, use during the regular season. Last year he wanted the see if ED could do something at GT he had not done at NC State. So, he gave him lots of minutes early trying to find in him 10-15 minutes of capable PT. By January he had pretty much given up. Your point about him is spot on.

With DO he has a 4* center he needs to play enough to keep him beyond this season. If he is only getting the 4 minutes you predicted, this will likely be his only season at GT. He has too much promise.

Something not clear to me in the bet you have with @Connell62 is whether games he does not play count toward his per game average. There may be matchup issues where DO doesn't fit well and CDS decides to play a small lineup. Does he get a zero for that game or DNP?

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you about the preseason games being places where CDS will experiment with lineups he might not, certain will not, use during the regular season. Last year he wanted the see if ED could do something at GT he had not done at NC State. So, he gave him lots of minutes early trying to find in him 10-15 minutes of capable PT. By January he had pretty much given up. Your point about him is spot on.

With DO he has a 4* center he needs to play enough to keep him beyond this season. If he is only getting the 4 minutes you predicted, this will likely be his only season at GT. He has too much promise.

Something not clear to me in the bet you have with @Connell62 is whether games he does not play count toward his per game average. There may be matchup issues where DO doesn't fit well and CDS decides to play a small lineup. Does he get a zero for that game or DNP?
My suggested bet is he gets a zero for games he does not play. Not that it is a null game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My suggested bet is he gets a zero for games he does not play. Not that it is a null game.
So, if he is injured, but due to HIPPA it's not public knowledge, he gets a zero for games he doesn't play?

This bet is like a game in the CFP for all of us in the Swarm. I think many of us will be keeping our own running spreadsheet, so we need to know how to record the data.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
So, if he is injured, but due to HIPPA it's not public knowledge, he gets a zero for games he doesn't play?

This bet is like a game in the CFP for all of us in the Swarm. I think many of us will be keeping our own running spreadsheet, so we need to know how to record the data.
I’ve got $5 that says the terms of this bet won’t get worked out before tip off.
Any takers?

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

What he said, is any game where he is available. If he is injured, he would not be available and it would not count. I can see where there may be a gray area where he is injured, but available. Coach keeps in out of the game to give him a chance to heal (kinda like what we should probably do with H. King on Saturday).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This bet is ....

Calculating Figure It Out GIF

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This bet is ....

Calculating Figure It Out GIF
For real.

I started off interested but that is waning now because there are too many “wherefores” and “howevers” and “therefores” in the contact.

Seems to me it could be a lot simpler. The player in question will either ball out or he won’t. Trying to account for some narrow interpretation of some grey area around the margins is kind of…

Tea Shade GIF

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
For real.

I started off interested but that is waning now because there are too many “wherefores” and “howevers” and “therefores” in the contact.

Seems to me it could be a lot simpler. The player in question will either ball out or he won’t. Trying to account for some narrow interpretation of some grey area around the margins is kind of…

Tea Shade GIF

Basically. It was like, "name a number between 1 and 100".

But the other dude says, "I will but only if you cap it between a high of 5 and a low of 3."

GIF by Giphy QA

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Good grief....LOL Is it just me, or does LNJ seem a lot less confident in his original projection??

What happened to not being a significant contributor? Please stop with the mental gymnastics that are on display...I accept the bet (whatever it is).

Unless he gets injured and misses significant time, he's going to average double figures from beginning to end.
LOL! I am confident he will not be a major contributor unless someone else (Baye or O'Brien) gets injured or misses significant time. I do not consider excess playing time in early season games to be relevant to that assertion. Having said that, I am willing to remove games he did not play from the denominator where his health is in question. I would also be willing to add meaningful non conference games against UGA, Cincinnati, Oklahoma and Northwestern if you so wish. If you are good with the bet, so am I.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
LOL! I am confident he will not be a major contributor unless someone else (Baye or O'Brien) gets injured or misses significant time. I do not consider excess playing time in early season games to be relevant to that assertion. Having said that, I am willing to remove games he did not play from the denominator where his health is in question. I would also be willing to add meaningful non conference games against UGA, Cincinnati, Oklahoma and Northwestern if you so wish. If you are good with the bet, so am I.
Excited So Close GIF by The Bachelor