2024 offseason

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Most use the terms PF and SF, but the differences vary from team to team. I expect O'Brien and Reeves to split most of the minutes at the 3. He might get some at the 4 when we go small, but it depends on how well Doryan and Powell play. Also, Sutton might get some time at the 3 or 4. I still think CDS wants Baye to get 25-30 minutes at the 4.
OK, those are terms I’ve
Most use the terms PF and SF, but the differences vary from team to team. I expect O'Brien and Reeves to split most of the minutes at the 3. He might get some at the 4 when we go small, but it depends on how well Doryan and Powell play. Also, Sutton might get some time at the 3 or 4. I still think CDS wants Baye to get 25-30 minutes at the 4.
OK, good to know those terms are still used.

I pictured O’Brian and Ndongo playing together at the forward positions with two guard positions, shared by up to four players, including Reeves, and experimenting with 3 players in rotation at the 5. That would be one line up.

A second lineup would put Ndongo at the 5 when going small, O’Brian still playing wing/forward and 3 good shooting guards.

There are two more variations I could see but my intuition 🤪 is telling me that O’Brian will play better if he is a regular in the lineup, and between him, and everybody’s favorite sophomore guard, we will have good anchors feeding other players and making everyone else look good.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Lineups will be interesting this season. I doubt anyone plays much over 30 minutes per gam over the full season. There will be some games guys play in the high 30 minutes but I don't think that will be the norm. I would expect CDS to do a lot of lineup experimenting early in the season to see how different combinations work. I don't see CDS being stuck on a starting five either. Matchups will determine who plays vs the opponent. This is an exciting time or GTBB!

slugboy

Staff member
FYI, here are our minutes played from last year (it’s just conference play, not all games, so it’s tilted towards the back half of the season):

RkPlayerGGSMinutes Played
1Miles Kelly202031.7
2Naithan George202030.4
3Baye Ndongo202028.3
4Kowacie Reeves202028.3
5Kyle Sturdivant20021.7
6Tafara Gapare19918.6
7Tyzhaun Claude20018.1
8Dallan Coleman16015.4
9Ibrahima Sacko11310.5
10Ebenezer Dowuona989.7
11Carter Murphy1008.4
12Amaree Abram406.3

I don’t know how Abram got 6.3 minutes

Provided by CBB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 10/14/2024.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Upon review, 9 of our top 12 minute-getters are gone. From interviews, seems like team chemistry is being portrayed as positive.Last season with influx, I recall hearing CDS repeatedly saying they have to learn to trust each other. Hopefully, trust solidified in early Fall ball.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
FYI, here are our minutes played from last year (it’s just conference play, not all games, so it’s tilted towards the back half of the season):

RkPlayerGGSMinutes Played
1Miles Kelly202031.7
2Naithan George202030.4
3Baye Ndongo202028.3
4Kowacie Reeves202028.3
5Kyle Sturdivant20021.7
6Tafara Gapare19918.6
7Tyzhaun Claude20018.1
8Dallan Coleman16015.4
9Ibrahima Sacko11310.5
10Ebenezer Dowuona989.7
11Carter Murphy1008.4
12Amaree Abram406.3

I don’t know how Abram got 6.3 minutes

Provided by CBB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 10/14/2024.
It was all front loaded in December.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Upon review, 9 of our top 12 minute-getters are gone. From interviews, seems like team chemistry is being portrayed as positive.Last season with influx, I recall hearing CDS repeatedly saying they have to learn to trust each other. Hopefully, trust solidified in early Fall ball.
Reeves is back I believe.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
A Player's "position" is pretty much just designating what guy on the opposing team that player is defending. Even in switching defenses, offenses want mismatches and defenses don't. Defenses basically want big on big, quick on quick. Offenses want Big on Small down low, and Quick on Big on the perimeter.

The NBA may be moving towards 5 guys who are 6'10" and can shoot, pass, rebound, run and jump. But that ain't college.

In college it looks to me like there are the traditional teams that maintain a division of labor between interior post scoring and outside shooting. Then there are the spread teams that like their front court players to be able to shoot from the perimeter. There are some blue blood programs that can spread the floor with big (NBA prospects) guys who can shoot. But the typical college spread teams plays with 4 wings between 6'4" and 6'8".

There are still college teams out there that recruit and develop classic, back-to-the basket Centers and when they face a roster playing small ball, the advantage still seems to be with the team with the big who can score at a high percentage down low and defend the rim from dribble penetration. It is a matter of mismatches.

I doubt, personally, that the game is evolving towards just a positionless three point shooting contest.

But what do I know...
Three of the teams in the Final Four had formidable centers, including the NCAA champions, so, yeah, I agree that we have not quite eliminated the center position yet in college basketball.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

The women received 2 preseason AP Top 25 poll votes and sit at #39. They have a pretty forgiving non-conf schedule and a 7-0 start isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I swear.. this society gets softer by the day. If the word asinine hurt LNJ's feelings, I'm sorry.

Being that he is a former leatherneck, I'm sure his skin is a bit thicker than that.
To be fair, orientalnc didn’t say anything about anyone’s feelings being hurt. I think he was expressing a desire for better argumentation that doesn’t resort to belittling someone, which may cloud an otherwise legitimate point. I also think he agrees with you.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
To be fair, orientalnc didn’t say anything about anyone’s feelings being hurt. I think he was expressing a desire for better argumentation that doesn’t resort to belittling someone, which may cloud an otherwise legitimate point. I also think he agrees with you.

Sometimes I feel better in an argument when I'm being belittled.

:unsure:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes I feel better in an argument when I'm being belittled.

:unsure:

I think I kind of know what you’re into but I’m not entirely positive.

irene adler GIF

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@Connell62 is a poster whose opinions and observations I respect. @leatherneckjacket not so much. My point was that C62 using an unnecessary personal putdown weakens his argument. Nothing more.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure that you will be the first to come back and say that your asinine projection was off by a wide margin.
Name once in the past 25 plus years of posting where I have not admitted when I was wrong. Name one.

Look I get you do not think much of me. To be honest. I think you are as much an arse as you think I am. But your assertion that I do not own up my incorrect statements is complete BS.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I swear.. this society gets softer by the day. If the word asinine hurt LNJ's feelings, I'm sorry.

Being that he is a former leatherneck, I'm sure his skin is a bit thicker than that.
The word asinine does not bother me. Time will tell if my opinion is asinine or not. It may very well be.

The implication that I lack integrity does bother me and ignites my ire.

Last edited: