2024 offseason

slugboy

Staff member
Bennett has resigned at UVA.
Basically felt like he wasn't the best coach for UVA in the new environment.

"I don't think I'm equipped in this new way to coach, and it's a disservice if you keep doing that," Bennett said. "I'm very sure that this is the right step. I wish I could've gone longer. I really do. But it was time."
"If you're going to do it, you've got to be all in. You've got to have everything. If you do it half-hearted, it's not fair to the university, and to those young men. So in looking at it, that's what made me step down."

"The game, and college athletics, is not in a healthy spot," he said. "It's not. And there needs to be change.

"I was equipped to do the job the old way. That's who I am," he continued. "But there needs to be change. It's going to be closer to a professional model. There's got to be collective bargaining. There's got to be restrictions on a salary pool a team can spend. There has to be transfer regulation restrictions. There has to be some restrictions on the agent involvement on some of the young guys."
One of his assistants—Ron Sanchez—came back from coaching Charlotte in 2023, and will be the interim.

The situation coincidentally works out for Sanchez to get a trial run for the job

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One of his assistants—Ron Sanchez—came back from coaching Charlotte in 2023, and will be the interim.

The situation coincidentally works out for Sanchez to get a trial run for the job
When I heard he would be the interim coach I thought Bennett may have shared some of his thoughts about retirement. Sanchez did not have a great run in Charlotte, but I don't think he was under any pressure there. He and Bennett worked together for a long time at Washington State and UVA. Bennett's timing made naming anyone else almost impossible.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
They have any high 2025 recruits? Going to be a bunch of kids jumping ship.
Top rated Cville-based 5'9 PG who probably loves Kihei Clark. He probably grew up a big UVA fan but I would guess they are a less appealing destination with CTB out. I read that their current team has a 30 day transfer window also - not sure how that works, I am guessing they can't enroll until the fall semester is over at their next school. I would take TJ Power if he needs a new stop lol

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
When I heard he would be the interim coach I thought Bennett may have shared some of his thoughts about retirement. Sanchez did not have a great run in Charlotte, but I don't think he was under any pressure there. He and Bennett worked together for a long time at Washington State and UVA. Bennett's timing made naming anyone else almost impossible.
He wanted his staff to remain and he has a history with Sanchez. He wanted to reward loyalty and hard work of his staff. UVA administration may have an ethical issue with NIL which will hamstring the next coach. Their alums should be able to raise a lot of NIL money if they want it. Bennett had just signed a new contract. I suspect he went out on good financial terms for both parties. I hope he does decide to coach again somewhere like an Ivy League or lower division school. He is a good man and excellent coach.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
That's incorrect. He is likely a good rebounder, but he didn't lead his team. It looks like he was asked to play inside his junior year, so his numbers were better then than at any other season. His 3-pt shooting that year was way down compared to the year before and after. He's not a star, but he should be good player for us. I'm thinking he will log 20+ mpg.
Feels like a glue guy, like Clarence Moore from the championship team but with more potential production.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Javian McCollum has a cast on in his interview w/ Andy Demetra 😐 anybody know anything about this?

An aside, this "get to know" interview series with the transfers and freshmen is fun. The Shag Man's interview was hilarious

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Just saw cast too 🤔; no question from Demetra about it. Looks the soft cast variety, so hopefully only twist or hairline/quick-heal fracture. Still, don't like to see that; without mention from CDS or others, maybe all good/precautionary. Like both these players; well spoken, seem very mature. Let's tip off!!!!!

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Just saw cast too 🤔; no question from Demetra about it. Looks the soft cast variety, so hopefully only twist or hairline/quick-heal fracture. Still, don't like to see that; without mention from CDS or others, maybe all good/precautionary. Like both these players; well spoken, seem very mature. Let's tip off!!!!!
Love this year's profile picture update. Looking forward to the round you're buying the forum on the evening of 4/7/2025 in San Antonio.