2024 non-GT games thread

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Nice attempt to come back but Bama made the big plays. Beck likely not a Heisman candidate now with 3 picks that game. Might have if they had won. There sure were some big plays in that game last night. Bama QB more likely than him.
ESPN has anointed Cam Ward as the Heisman winner, and pimps him incessantly.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Both Monroe and Beck were being hyped a lot last night.
There is some guy at Boise State that tv announcers are high on as well but I don't watch any of those games. Kid at Colorado that plays both ways is mentioned but team not good enough to get a lot of votes. Ward might have a shot if Miami gets to playoff.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about you guys, but Kirby Smart and his staff impressed the heck out of me. Keeping his players head in the game after a 1stQ blow-out, adjusting and coming back to take the lead on somebody else's field ...
Was it Kirby? Or, was it Carson Beck? Could be both. Anyway an impressive performance by UGA in making that comeback. I don't like the way receivers can push off defensive backs like #11 (?) did all night. However, Beck went to that underthrown pass trick one time too many and the Alabama cornerback was watching the ball instead of the receiver. The push off did not bother him as he was totally focused on that ball and made a pretty interception. Crazy but enjoyable game for both teams.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
PI calls in college football are extremely inconsistent. Not sure why but they clearly are.
It’s baffling except that the pattern SEEMS to be that highly regarded players on top ranked teams seem to get the benefit of the doubt more often. When teams like Alabama and Georgia play then it’s almost like the refs toss a coin on a given play since both teams are highly regarded. Watching the replays of various key moments I could envision Tech getting flagged repeatedly.

slugboy

Staff member
There is some guy at Boise State that tv announcers are high on as well but I don't watch any of those games. Kid at Colorado that plays both ways is mentioned but team not good enough to get a lot of votes. Ward might have a shot if Miami gets to playoff.
Milroe had his Heisman moment yesterday.

Travis Hunter is an amazing player; Sanders has really screwed up the Colorado job when he has star talent like he does but can't win.

Ward will get his chance in the sun, but he needs his spotlight game.

Jackson Dart probably took himself out of the voting yesterday.

Dillon Gabriel (Oregon), Nico Iamaleava (Tennesee), and Quinn Ewers (Texas) are in it (QB, QB, and QB).

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Watched the highlights of the Miami offense against VT and I was not as impressed with Ward as I have been in previous games. He has a lot of good receivers who seem to bail him out at times. His passing occasionally borders on reckless but he is getting away with it.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
Some real bone headed coaching decisions. They are a very solid team. Poor clock management and trying a trick play on a FG attempt cost them big time against Miami. The bad in game coaching has been a recurring issue for Coach Pry.
That was a stupid call. Just take the 3 pts.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
That was a stupid call. Just take the 3 pts.
One of the worst parts about it was the 3rd and 3 call. If you know ahead of time that you aren't taking the points on 4th, just write a 2 play script - run on 3rd to give yourself 4th and 1 or 4th and 2 at the worst and maximize your chances of picking up the 1st down.

I'm guessing Brent Pry did not make up his mind that they were faking the FG until 4th down. Bad coaching...he makes $4m and knows less about football than most fans and high school coaches.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
From what I have seen Travis Hunter may just be the best all around college player. The top teams and their QB's have a real advantage since they get more tv time.

Look at the 2 plays the bama/uga game ended on. The long TD by the Bama WR. And the pick in the endzone by their S. Hunter can do both of those things in the same game.

He's, by far, the best all-around player cfb has seen for a long time. Jmho

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
From what I have seen Travis Hunter may just be the best all around college player. The top teams and their QB's have a real advantage since they get more tv time.
That interception he made against UCF, the closing speed and athleticism, reminded me of Deion.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Surprised Bama let off the gas in the 2nd half trying to wind down the clock. I know it’s a longer season and they don’t want to risk injury, but I was thinking they needed one more TD to close out the dogs before they started coasting. Luckily Ryan Williams was able to make a big play to spark their offense as it’s hard to get back in rhythm once you’ve started slowing it down, especially against a defense like ugag’s. Think Bama exposed alot we can take advantage against ugag supposing our oline can find their 2023 end of season selves.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Look at the 2 plays the bama/uga game ended on. The long TD by the Bama WR. And the pick in the endzone by their S. Hunter can do both of those things in the same game.

He's, by far, the best all-around player cfb has seen for a long time. Jmho

Two different players, both freshmen.
Ryan Williams the WR
Zabien Brown the DB

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240929-202406.png
    Screenshot_20240929-202406.png
    201.9 KB · Views: 6

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Huh? Did you not read what I wrote?

I interpreted "... by their S. Hunter" as you assuming that Brown and Williams are the same player, both wear number 2 for Alabama.

If you meant that S. Hunter could do both then I would understand, but that's not what the sentences said, at least my interpretation.
Edited to add the last section above.