2023 ACC News & Discussion

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck

I really think the best way for the math to work is a 9 game ACC schedule with 2 permanent crossovers. That means you play the other 14 teams twice in a 4 year period..one home and one away. The trick is how to alternate 5 and 4 home games in consecutive years. I think some of the first matchups are easy but the second becomes more tricky.

Miami-FSU
GT-Clemson
NC-NC State
Va-VT
Stanford, Cal and SMU have each other for their 2 since further West and travel.

The others to me are not as clear. Some combo of Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Louisville since later entries to ACC and all former Big East. Wake and Duke some combo with NC and NC State.

No way to make everyone happy. I would schedule out 4 years and see what works and what doesn't.

If you stay with 8 games and 3 crossovers, you could play all the teams within a 3 year period. But the crossovers become a big determination on your ability to win.

Of course if the threatening schools to leave actually do..FSU, UNC and Clemson.. it might not be 4 years.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I really think the best way for the math to work is a 9 game ACC schedule with 2 permanent crossovers. That means you play the other 14 teams twice in a 4 year period..one home and one away. The trick is how to alternate 5 and 4 home games in consecutive years. I think some of the first matchups are easy but the second becomes more tricky.

Miami-FSU
GT-Clemson
NC-NC State
Va-VT
Stanford, Cal and SMU have each other for their 2 since further West and travel.

The others to me are not as clear. Some combo of Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Louisville since later entries to ACC and all former Big East. Wake and Duke some combo with NC and NC State.

No way to make everyone happy. I would schedule out 4 years and see what works and what doesn't.

If you stay with 8 games and 3 crossovers, you could play all the teams within a 3 year period. But the crossovers become a big determination on your ability to win.

Of course if the threatening schools to leave actually do..FSU, UNC and Clemson.. it might not be 4 years.
The schedule does not work for 9 games when you have an odd number of teams. It will be an 8-game conference schedule.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Actually, for sightseeing and travel, Cal is the better match-up. Being on the north side of the bay, you're closer to wine country, the redwood forests, and just as close to SF. If you go into SF, you'll have to cross the Golden Gate.
After crossing - go to Muir Woods National Park to see Redwoods in a small valley next to pacific . Could get an Abalone Sandwhich in Tiburon. On way back - stop at park before bridge and enjoy the view of the city.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
After crossing - go to Muir Woods National Park to see Redwoods in a small valley next to pacific . Could get an Abalone Sandwhich in Tiburon. On way back - stop at park before bridge and enjoy the view of the city.
For several years that area of Marin County was my annual destination for the Dipsea Race that begins in Mill Valley, runs through Muir Woods, up and over Mount Tamalpais and ends in Stinson Beach. It ran its 111th race this year. It's 12 km of rugged trail running and short cutting (if you're clever and not allergic to poison oak) is allowed. It has a 2200 foot elevation gain from the Muir Wood parking lot mile 2.1 to the top of Mount Tam at mile 4.5. And, of course, descends more than 2200 feet to the sandy beach in Stinson Beach at mile 7.5. My son (Tech grad) was stationed at the DLI in Monterey and got me into that event the 1st time. Lots of bragging rights to finish in the top half. Gorgeous part of the world.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Never driven across the Golden Gate. I’ve heard horror stories. Are they true?

NPR did a story many decades ago about the time the bridge used to have a psychologist on the bridge would get in cars and talk people over the bridge who had just frozen in the middle of the road.

I've been over the Golden Gage Bridge, it's just another bridge.

What horror stories have you heard?

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

Miami-FSU
GT-Clemson
NC-NC State
Va-VT

Agree. With two permanents, you can rotate 7 + 7 as you demonstrate, resulting in a nine-game conference schedule. Teel seems to forget that using two permanents removes the odd-even situation.

You could also go with no permanents and rotate 8 + 8 and keep the eight-game schedule. This would result in more travel west for the Current members.

He mentions that the current presidents only want 3 trips west in seven years. Your model with SMU, Cal, and Stanford using each other as permanents results in 3.5 trips west in seven years for the East Coast teams.

It may be that the 4 schools with SEC rivals do not want 9 ACC games plus their SEC rival plus ND every 3-4 years since this would severely limit any other P4 scheduling like GT-MISS or GT-
Colorado.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I've been over the Golden Gage Bridge, it's just another bridge.

What horror stories have you heard?
Just that if you have the least bit of fear about bridges at all it can be difficult. Wind, fog and disorienting vistas.

Never been over so these are obviously second hand stories. Didn’t know if it had special terrors compared to other bridges or not. Maybe the psychologist they used to use was simply the need to keep the morning commute moving.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree. With two permanents, you can rotate 7 + 7 as you demonstrate, resulting in a nine-game conference schedule. Teel seems to forget that using two permanents removes the odd-even situation.

You could also go with no permanents and rotate 8 + 8 and keep the eight-game schedule. This would result in more travel west for the Current members.

He mentions that the current presidents only want 3 trips west in seven years. Your model with SMU, Cal, and Stanford using each other as permanents results in 3.5 trips west in seven years for the East Coast teams.

It may be that the 4 schools with SEC rivals do not want 9 ACC games plus their SEC rival plus ND every 3-4 years since this would severely limit any other P4 scheduling like GT-MISS or GT-
Colorado.

I said 3.5 trips West above. To clarify, 7 of the 14 current East Coast teams would make 4 trips west and 7 would make only 3 trips in a 7-year model. Not sure why they are discussing a 7-year model anyway?? Long Term beyond 7 years each East coast team travels West every other year.

whiskeyClear

Georgia Tech Fan
As a GT alum living in the bay area for 10 years and counting, I'm very excited to see GT play Cal and/or Stanford. Cal has a much better gameday atmosphere, football culture, and is more convenient to get to.

I saw Auburn play Cal this year with my parents, and other than the heart attack that game gave me, it was a blast!

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Just that if you have the least bit of fear about bridges at all it can be difficult. Wind, fog and disorienting vistas.

Never been over so these are obviously second hand stories. Didn’t know if it had special terrors compared to other bridges or not. Maybe the psychologist they used to use was simply the need to keep the morning commute moving.
I’ve only ever gone over the Golden Gate on a bike and it was on a sunny day but that was fine.

There’s a crazy tall curved bridge in San Diego that was a trip, though.