2023 ACC News & Discussion

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The problem ESPN has is that they over-committed financially to these football conferences and are not going to be able to deliver the promised level of revenue going forward. Basically, they are a dead man walking. Football and the advertising/subscriber model can not meet the projected revenue to sustain the payout levels. This will ultimately lead to either bankruptcy for ESPN or some agreed to modification of the existing financial agreement currently in place. I think the conferences would be better suited to form their own networks and stream the games based on what they can generate. Basically cut out the middle man (ESPN). Eventually, folks will opt to pay by the drink and only pay for those games they actually want to watch.

Go Jackets!

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck

MLB asking for $20/month for cord cutters for streaming access to Padres games after Diamond/Bally didn’t pay.

They’ve also directly negotiated with some local cable companies for those who haven’t cut the cord.

Cutting out the middleman and going straight to the cable co’s is clever, though with the number of markets involved for a CFB conference it would be a big effort.

I’m very curious to see if that price for streaming-only sticks.
this heavily depends on demand. UGA would probably get 5 to 10 times the subscribers GT would get. If you did it by conference would not be as lopsided but would still favor the top conferences. My guess is the Big Ten would also when this approach based on interest of their teams, Alumni Size and the number of medium to large cities in their geo. My fear is we would generate less money under this model.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
6 new schools given AAU designation including U Miami FL, U. South FL, Arizona State, ND. So much for FSU to the Big 10 for now, they end up in SEC appears to me.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Just not impressed with that list.
Impressed or not it still opens them up to eligibility for BIG membership and it tells me Miami somehow eventually ends up in the BIG. The other 3 I don't really have an opinion, although I'm guessing ND may be forced to join BIG in order to get the kind of schedule they would need to stay relevant in the National CFB picture after all the conference movement takes place. With 3 major conferences it would seem all the really good CFB programs will have their hands full playing within their own conferences and would not be as likely to schedule a ND out of conference. Just my opinion and not positive about that.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
UGA/GT, CLEMSON/USC, OLE MISS/GT that is three. What did I miss unless you don't consider the ACC as P5.
a complete title might read “Number of teams playing at least 10 Power 5 opponents...”
12 out of 14 SEC teams will only face 9 opponents from P5 conferences.
They also are keeping an 8 game conference schedule with the addition of TX and OU, so it’s not likely to change.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
a complete title might read “Number of teams playing at least 10 Power 5 opponents...”
12 out of 14 SEC teams will only face 9 opponents from P5 conferences.
They also are keeping an 8 game conference schedule with the addition of TX and OU, so it’s not likely to change.
Gotcha.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yep, @CEB explained it.
Curiosity got me... both UGA and Ole Miss play us but neither plays another non-SEC P5 opponent.

The two SEC teams that play 10 P5 opponents are:
South Carolina (UNC & Clem)
Florida (Utah & FSU)

When I found those two, I stopped looking so condemn the tweet (not me :D) if you find a 3rd.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's not just the lack of P5 opponents, it's also the quality of the non-P5 games. Of course, every SEC team plays eight conference games and all those are against Top 10 opponents.

SEC OOC games:

uga - UT-Martin, Ball State, UAB, GT
Tenn - UVA, Austin Peay, UTSA, UConn
USCe - UNC, Furman, Jacksonville St, Clemson
Fla - Utah, McNeese, Charlotte, FSU
KY - Ball St, E Kentucky, Akron, Louisville
Mo - N Dakota St, MTSU, Kansas St, Memphis
Vandy - Hawaii, Ala A&M, Wake, UNLV

Bama - MTSU, Texas, USF, Chattanooga
LSU - FSU, Grambling, Army, Ga State
Miss St- SE Louisiana, Arizona, W Mich, Sou Miss
Miss - Mercer, Tulane, GT, UL-Monroe
Ark - W Carolina, Kent St, BYU, FIU
Aub - UMass, Cal, Samford, N Mex St
TA&M - N Mex, Miami, UL-Monroe, Ab Christian

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Just saw Mack Brown on Paul Finebaum's SEC Show saying he was confident UNC would be Fine regardless of what happened to the ACC.

I believe this is his Second appearance. He claims to be a friend of Paul from ESPN days together. He must be Shopping around ??

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
And so it begins. ESPN laying off a lot of folks, (including our beloved David Pollock,, not). Look for Disney to spin this financial anchor off to some wild-eyed optimist who will promise vast wealth to any potential investor. The truth is this plane is in a death spiral and will have to be legally bailed out and greatly diminished if it is to survive. Look for all these promised riches to the Big 10 and SEC as well as the other smaller time conferences to be withdrawn in bankruptcy court.

Go Jackets!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Saw a YouTuber say that Disney has lost money on their last 8-10 movies counting marketing and all costs. Don’t keep up with that stuff, so he may be wrong

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Saw a YouTuber say that Disney has lost money on their last 8-10 movies counting marketing and all costs. Don’t keep up with that stuff, so he may be wrong
Growth is the real issue at Disney. Their theme parks and streaming are the issues. Disney+ and Hulu are basically in the doldrums while there are concerns about the price of the ESPN streaming service. Their stock price is off about 10% in the past year.

I wonder if Disney is perhaps looking to focus on their core business, which is movie production and theme parks. Streaming has always seemed out of touch with what they do best. If ESPN is moving to the Internet, why hang on in that fickle and highly competitive marketplace.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't read too much into the Youtuber's comments on Disney movie profits. He may be correct based on normal "movie accounting". I've read that almost no movie makes a profit according to the studios. That's why the stars with clout ask for a percentage of the gross, not net.