2023 ACC News & Discussion

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
How does one (Clemson in this case) win a championship in Dairy Tasting? "Mmmmm that good!" Or (VT) win a championship in Dairy Cattle Judging? "My what big udders you have...." :D:unsure:

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
How does one (Clemson in this case) win a championship in Dairy Tasting? "Mmmmm that good!" Or (VT) win a championship in Dairy Cattle Judging? "My what big udders you have...." :D:unsure:

Channel 9 Reno GIF by The Block

Man, so much potential. There's barely one SFW version.....

slugboy

Staff member
Air Force winning skydiving is like Wisconsin winning for drinking. That’s what they do.
I have a lot of Air Force friends (most retired). Most of them believe that “only a fool from the Army or Marines would jump out of a perfectly good airplane”.

I also have Army fam.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Air Force winning skydiving is like Wisconsin winning for drinking. That’s what they do.

Truth. I used to compete with a number of the Air Force Wings of Blue teams at Nationals and in wind tunnel competitions. It's amazing how good you can get at skydiving when that's what you do most of the week on the taxpayer's dime.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting write-up on how GoR's have kept (and likely will continue to keep) 2 Power conferences together. Also, how B12 and ACC's GoR's are basically identical.

So ironclad, in fact, that Big 12 legal minds developed the strategy relying on a landmark 115-year old Supreme Court case that traced its roots back to British Common Law in the 1600s. So ironclad that the Big 12 incorporated itself in Delaware, a state so business-friendly that 65% of Fortune 500 companies file their incorporation papers there.

So ironclad that the verbiage in these contracts might have saved both conferences from near-extinction.

On Wednesday, the ACC stiff-armed rumblings of a mutiny by going to a performance-based revenue model. It's seemingly unbreakable grant of rights quelled any talk of a more significant uprising.

It would cost a reported $120 million for an ACC school to leave early, not counting a monster negotiation to get out of the grant of rights. But with 13 years to go on that ironclad agreement -- and with little leverage -- the ACC got its schools to fall into line.

There was no other choice. Two industry experts with experience valuing media rights told CBS Sports that -- for all the complaining by those seven schools -- it is doubtful they would bring pro rata (equal value) if they were to depart the ACC for the SEC.

Those ACC schools seemingly had nowhere to go and lacked the financial will to challenge the grant of rights in court given its ironclad nature.

Earlier this year, the Big 12 announced a deal for the Longhorns and Sooners to leave one year early in 2024, netting the league $100 million.

Neither school dared challenge the grant of rights itself.

After Texas and Oklahoma declared their intentions two years ago, Bowlsby doubled back and vetted the vulnerability of his grant of rights with a New York litigation firm.

"I asked them to tear it apart," Bowlsby said. "They came back and said, 'This is ironclad. You can take it any federal court in the country and win.'"

An ACC league source last year told CBS Sports, at that time, it might have cost as much as $500 million total to exit the league, including its grant of rights, as there were then 14 years left on the deal. Other estimates have been lower but still significant.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
So ironclad that the verbiage in these contracts might have saved both conferences from near-extinction.

On Wednesday, the ACC stiff-armed rumblings of a mutiny by going to a performance-based revenue model. It's seemingly unbreakable grant of rights quelled any talk of a more significant uprising.

It would cost a reported $120 million for an ACC school to leave early, not counting a monster negotiation to get out of the grant of rights. But with 13 years to go on that ironclad agreement -- and with little leverage -- the ACC got its schools to fall into line.

If it is so ironclad and unshakable, why the performance based mod? Why not tell those 7 teams to shut up and get in line? Dare them to leave.

Seems to me GOR is doing exactly what it was designed to do, so why make a change?

And LOL at FSU amd Clemson thinking the SEC wants them. They have nothing to offer. I giggle sadistically at the thought of Vandy raking it in so.much more than those two posers.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Interesting write-up on how GoR's have kept (and likely will continue to keep) 2 Power conferences together. Also, how B12 and ACC's GoR's are basically identical.

So ironclad, in fact, that Big 12 legal minds developed the strategy relying on a landmark 115-year old Supreme Court case that traced its roots back to British Common Law in the 1600s. So ironclad that the Big 12 incorporated itself in Delaware, a state so business-friendly that 65% of Fortune 500 companies file their incorporation papers there.

There was no other choice. Two industry experts with experience valuing media rights told CBS Sports that -- for all the complaining by those seven schools -- it is doubtful they would bring pro rata (equal value) if they were to depart the ACC for the SEC.

Those ACC schools seemingly had nowhere to go and lacked the financial will to challenge the grant of rights in court given its ironclad nature.

Earlier this year, the Big 12 announced a deal for the Longhorns and Sooners to leave one year early in 2024, netting the league $100 million.

Neither school dared challenge the grant of rights itself.

After Texas and Oklahoma declared their intentions two years ago, Bowlsby doubled back and vetted the vulnerability of his grant of rights with a New York litigation firm.

"I asked them to tear it apart," Bowlsby said. "They came back and said, 'This is ironclad. You can take it any federal court in the country and win.'"

An ACC league source last year told CBS Sports, at that time, it might have cost as much as $500 million total to exit the league, including its grant of rights, as there were then 14 years left on the deal. Other estimates have been lower but still significant.
I guess I’m missing something here, how did TX and OK sidestep this unbreakable Big12 GOR?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I guess I’m missing something here, how did TX and OK sidestep this unbreakable Big12 GOR?
From the article:
"While Texas and Oklahoma did cause significant upheaval in leaving the Big 12, it cost the programs a combined $100 million to exit the league in 2024, a year before the Big 12's grant of rights was to expire."

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They didn't sidestep it.
They waited for it to expire. Or more accurately, they waited until it had 1 year left to expire and then negotiated a $50M exit each to leave 1 year early.

They did not try to challenge the GOR legally. Originally they planned to simply wait the GOR out (it would expire for them in 2024 since they were not going to sign a new one). Ultimately, they waited until it was almost expired and were able to negotiate the fee they would have to pay for the conference to let them go 1 year early.

Supposedly lawyers for every single school in the ACC have looked at its GOR and none of them have found any sort of loophole to get out of it.
If you want to leave you are going to have to negotiate a financial settlement and frankly any financial settlement is likely too punitive to make it worthwhile to leave (and that assumes someone else wants you to join in the first place).

I think the idea that is most off-kilter in college football is that fans of both schools in the Big 2 conferences and the other 3 want certain schools to change conferences, but I don't think the numbers likely make any sense for the conferences themselves so most of them are unlikely to happen anytime soon, if ever.