2022 Spring Football Practice

stech81

Helluva Engineer
they were highly touted recruits at major programs. practicing at clemson/bama is probably a higher level of play than a lot of acc teams.

our offensive line was about as effective as a pile of feathers at times last year so i would imagine if you have a pulse you’re gonna start
I can understand that in a way, but the one from Alabama did not see action in a game, did CBK recruit him to Alabama ?

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
benson is another one too. his stats were not impressive, which can be attributed to 1. syracuse stinks, and 2. very few college tight ends actually produce. that being said, he is fast as hell and could really be a mismatch. i’m hoping we run out of 21 personnel all season and run dontae down their throats and wreck the middle of the field on seams
Not to get bogged down in semantics but do you mean 12 personnel?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Given the weakness of our OL so far and the uncertainty in it for this season I like the 12 idea. It at least puts a couple more bigger guys out there that maybe can help block in the run game and be a quick release valve in the passing game.

JacketFan137

Banned
Given the weakness of our OL so far and the uncertainty in it for this season I like the 12 idea. It at least puts a couple more bigger guys out there that maybe can help block in the run game and be a quick release valve in the passing game.
college teams also aren’t built to cover the TE anyway. we’d be pretty unique on that front.

also tech seems to get demolished by any tight end with a pulse dating back as far as i can remember across multiple coaching regimes. it’s about time we do the same to others haha

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Where'd you see that? Did he mention that in an interview?

Excited to see Leftwich on there. When he was recruited, I thought he'd be someone who would see the field early. Figured Franklin at C and Williams at one of the T positions. I had thought it'd be a little early to already slot Tchio and Quick in there as they just arrived.

This mirror drill is a good indicator of how things are slotted in the spring

With only 11 scholarship OL, who exactly are you putting ahead of them?

Vaipulu? Maybe
Koots? No
Maye? No

Boren5034

Georgia Tech Fan
Williams is get reps at LT but he’s still a RT

OL per CBK

LT: Leftwich
LG: Tchio
C: Franklin
RG: Quick
RT: Williams
Didn't get that at all from Key's presser. He sounded like Williams at LT and Leftwich at RT with Wing Green getting #2 reps. Makes the most sense also.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
In photo of the ol 72 Franklin was at Center and is a guy that looks like Williams is at Left tackle.
Everyone gets to start some where.
72 looks tall !
What recruiting class is Franklin - is he a freshmen?

He may be a R-Fr but he sure looked like a killer in his hi school tape.He's going to be a good one but a FR at Ctr is tough. He needs to be!

alagold

Helluva Engineer
How about, “We are not the team I promised we would be and that’s on me. We have our work cut out for us, but I guarantee we will be a much better team this year.”

That would be both a realistic assessment of where the program is, reassuring some fans that the coach is not delusional, while also throwing out some hope.

I remember when Bud Carson took over from Dodd, some players revolted at the style change, the schedule got much harder and we got a major a$$ kicking by uga to end the season. Carson was low key before the next season, didn’t sugarcoat his struggles, and then he said this, “I guarantee we will not lose to Georgia next year.”

At the time I thought it was a major mistake to predict that victory, for multiple reasons. But it gave the fans hope.

Tech was much better the next season, though still struggling. Against heavily favored Georgia, Tech had a goal line stand to end the game and preserve a 6-0 win.
That was a great effort and game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If i hear you correctly, you're saying because of the players/coaches we've brought in during the off season and because they're are no on field results yet, you're still going to choose to not be a pessimist, rather than looking at the potential positives and wondering how theyll play out during the upcoming season? The unknowns is what gets me excited. Just face it, you want CGC out, and anyone that tries to offer any kind of excitement for the upcoming season, you're going to find some sort of way to diminish it.
It is entirely possible to not want CGC fired and still have serious doubts about his ability to pull things out this year.

But I get grabbing at any straw to get excited.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It is entirely possible to not want CGC fired and still have serious doubts about his ability to pull things out this year.

But I get grabbing at any straw to get excited.
I can answer that question but this is only me. Ross took over in 1987 and we finished 2-9 then in 1988 we finished 3-8. At that time I really didn't care for him or thought he would make it a Tech. Then in 1989 we started 0-3 but finished 7-4. Not sure that really answered the question

JacketFan137

Banned
Question for those that know more than I do ( which most do )

How will the blocking schemes change from last year under CCL?
so long is probably going to heavily employ zone blocking schemes as he has already emphasized the RPO. this is something we did a decent amount last year (more so with sims because yates wasn’t really a running threat on the mesh), and it worked. i don’t have the analytics in front of me or anything (much harder to find advanced stats for college teams) but i remember some plays that were successful on big cut backs.

it also plays well into some of the talent we have coming in like felix and hall who are fast as all get out. i also think dontae’s vision and wiggle is so good he’s gonna find those cut backs and really punish teams

truthfully the line is kind of an enigma and two pieces believed to be important factors, tchio and quick, don’t have enough film for one to just say this is a better fit for our line.