2022 Spring Football Practice

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I can answer that question but this is only me. Ross took over in 1987 and we finished 2-9 then in 1988 we finished 3-8. At that time I really didn't care for him or thought he would make it a Tech. Then in 1989 we started 0-3 but finished 7-4. Not sure that really answered the question
Ross had a good pedigree and was a hard nosed coach. My guess, at the time, if he didn’t fix it, it wouldn’t ever get fixed.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
How about, “We are not the team I promised we would be and that’s on me. We have our work cut out for us, but I guarantee we will be a much better team this year.”

That would be both a realistic assessment of where the program is, reassuring some fans that the coach is not delusional, while also throwing out some hope.

I remember when Bud Carson took over from Dodd, some players revolted at the style change, the schedule got much harder and we got a major a$$ kicking by uga to end the season. Carson was low key before the next season, didn’t sugarcoat his struggles, and then he said this, “I guarantee we will not lose to Georgia next year.”

At the time I thought it was a major mistake to predict that victory, for multiple reasons. But it gave the fans hope.

Tech was much better the next season, though still struggling. Against heavily favored Georgia, Tech had a goal line stand to end the game and preserve a 6-0 win.
I’m fed up with Collins like everyone else but thinking a certain interview answer will translate in any way at all to on field performance is laughable.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Excellent! I’m in favor of more pass protection! :LOL:

So is Jeff Sims!

Seriously, though. I'm excited to see how the O-line has grown in the offseason, and looking forward to getting into the new offense. Agreed with another poster that predictability/vanilla only works when your team has the size and athleticism to outperform other teams consistently. I think mixing in more TEs and drawing up more unexpected plays will hopefully pay off, and put the O-line in a better position to succeed.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Never heard Bobby Cremins after a tough loss I guess. Took full blame and said they would work to get it right and that he was embarrassed, etc. THAT is how you endear yourself to fans. Not by lying about how elite the team is and how elite their effort is when everyone can see it’s not true.
Yea dude i’m sure Collins doesn’t push the team to work hard, just because he didn’t say “I’m pushing the team to work hard.”

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Yea dude i’m sure Collins doesn’t push the team to work hard, just because he didn’t say “I’m pushing the team to work hard.”

It’s not about pushing the team hard. It’s about accepting responsibility to the people paying your salary. He is unfortunately clueless in this sense. If people have been saying since Year 1 that “he’s not talking to you” and the AD had to tell him at the end of Year 3 that he needs to tell the fans he hears them, then he is clearly not getting it. Likely never will. Unfortunate as he wants to be here but is just not prepared for the job in any way.

JacketFan137

Banned
people are literally making up things he says at this point when they make these arguments so i’m not sure it’s really worth your time to argue with them. collins isn’t some master orator i will admit that but he provides general college football coach answers all the time and somehow people take issue with them.

people have already taken issue with such coaching cliches as “getting better every day”. i think with no games to play they just have to be upset about something lol

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Never heard Bobby Cremins after a tough loss I guess. Took full blame and said they would work to get it right and that he was embarrassed, etc. THAT is how you endear yourself to fans. Not by lying about how elite the team is and how elite their effort is when everyone can see it’s not true.
You just don’t appreciate the masterful subtlety of the Collins approach to failure. 😊

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We may have to convert some DL to OL just to have enough to be viable for practice and to weather an entire season. We should place a national ad to try and attract any starting offensive lineman anywhere in Power 5 football who is even slightly interested in possibly transferring to contact us and discuss the possibilities of coming to Georgia Tech.

Go Jackets!
Most teams play 7-8 OL a game. If your guys stay healthy (big if), we should be fine. If not, we'll be doing what we've been doing for 10 years now, plugging holes.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Used to be an arms race to spend money on fancy facilities for recruiting. Now it's turned into spending directly to the players. I'm still trying to understand why the Edge Center needs to be replaced unless the GTAA wants fancier offices.
AMEN.We may not get wins but all the Admin gets better digs, --huh? a better investment would be spending on coaches ,er (the next coach).

slugboy

Staff member
Looks like the roster has been updated on ramblinwreck.com.

I notice that neither Nick Pendley or Ryan Spiers are listed anymore.
It was really nice when Spiers mom came on the forum. She had hoped for her son to find a football home here. I wished that could have worked out.
There are a lot of young men in this sport that train hard and do the right thing, but end up not being able to play.