2022 Season

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
When RPI works against you…..

I mean, that's what the RPI is. It's an objective evaluation of your record, the teams you've played, and the implied strength of your record.

It is NOT a perfect measure of which teams are better than others. It is but one metric used to evaluate a team's resume.

Arkansas has a good record against a weak schedule. But the RPI is comparing them and that 25-7 record against 104 teams that have had a harder schedule this season. No, you can't control how good the guys you play are. But math is math and it was never intended to be anything else.

Sorry, off soapbox.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I mean, that's what the RPI is. It's an objective evaluation of your record, the teams you've played, and the implied strength of your record.

It is NOT a perfect measure of which teams are better than others. It is but one metric used to evaluate a team's resume.

Arkansas has a good record against a weak schedule. But the RPI is comparing them and that 25-7 record against 104 teams that have had a harder schedule this season. No, you can't control how good the guys you play are. But math is math and it was never intended to be anything else.

Sorry, off soapbox.

RPI ain't perfect but IIWII. Given there are 290 teams who play on the order of 60 total games, it's impossible to rank all "fairly".

See highlight:
1649982495302.png

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

Sorry, off soapbox.

Agreed, and also worth noting that Arkansas wasn’t the only team playing midweek, and if other teams around them also won games against a tougher schedule then doesn’t it make perfect sense that they should get more credit than Arkansas?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I expected more from this team but this has become somewhat of a pattern the last few years. Does the academic grind toward the end of the semester put a drag on these guys???

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
This last weekend was rough. Happy to be occupied; I wasn't able to watch a minute of baseball for the first weekend all year. I took a break from reading my favorite message board until now.

Looking forward, the RPI Needs Report paints a clear picture.

Top 45: 2 wins
Top 30: 3 wins
Top 16: 6 wins (win out)

We're likely looking at a ceiling of a 2-seed, but a 3-seed is possible if we can't figure some things out. A complete fallout, while possible, is something I'm going to ignore for now. Too much offensive talent.

This team is enigmatic on the road, but that's all that's left so...let's do it I guess. There's always the ACC tournament...

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
For those of you that are scared to death of LAD(Life After Danny): can the pitching really get any worse than it is now? I’ll double check but don’t believe we have *one* regular arm with an ERA under 6. Absolutely atrocious.
Well, I’m not really scared of LAD, I would say I’m slightly on the “other side” of the spectrum. However, I will say if your gonna make the argument about the pitching not getting any worse then you also gotta say that we are hitting/scoring at a historically levels this year and ask are you willing to accept the offensive fall off when he leaves. Same premise right?? CDH is the top dog so he get the credit & the blame?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Well, I’m not really scared of LAD, I would say I’m slightly on the “other side” of the spectrum. However, I will say if your gonna make the argument about the pitching not getting any worse then you also gotta say that we are hitting/scoring at a historically levels this year and ask are you willing to accept the offensive fall off when he leaves. Same premise right?? CDH is the top dog so he get the credit & the blame?

That’s fair and I like Ramsey but we are wasting the “historic level”. I’d rather lose a little hitting but try to balance that by not giving up 8 runs a game.