2022 Season

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s just my personal opinion but I think we are screwing up by not giving the job to Ramsey for next year. He’s gonna end up at fsu, Clemson etc… first.
I have no idea what Ramsey's career plans & hopes are.

There seems to be a lot of groupthink among many here that the deal with Ramsey's future at Tech is binary:
1) He will take the job whenever Hall steps aside. (GT is his first choice)
2) TStan has or will mess things up (keeping Hall around too long) & Ramsey takes offer somewhere else because Ga Tech wasn't available or offered to him. (GT is his first choice)

There's a 3rd scenario... Ramsey takes a job somewhere else because he chooses that job for reasons having nothing to do with Ga Tech situation. (Another job is his first choice)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That ERA of 99 seems memorable
I am not going to point fingers at the guy - my GPA at Tech my first two years was the equivalant of a 99 ERA in baseball. It does take a moment for guys like me and this young man to adapt to college. If this guy has the same work ethic that I did I am confident he will get it below 50.00 before he gets out. ;)

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Now have a team ERA OF 6.62 - ranked 234th in the nation. I don't have past season pitching statistics but memory would have be believe this is our worst team pitching performance in as many years as I can remember. Not a single starter below ERA of 6. Just WOW...
The thing I can't wrap my head around is it is not like these guys are "chopped liver". I am convinced that they have talent. You see it (sometimes) when they pitch and their records and ranking through PG or whatever org you follow also indicate that.

I get it, college baseball is hard. My son had a baseball coach that used to say "if it was easy, anybody could do it". I get it. Your not going to be successful everytime you go out. It just seems that recently we are usually not (consistently) "successful" (another question ..... what is success) when our guys takes the mound.

I love our guys, I love our team, I love what the extra effort that they have to put in to succeed at Tech.

If I am frustrated I can only imagine the level of frustration that they have.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
The thing I can't wrap my head around is it is not like these guys are "chopped liver". I am convinced that they have talent. You see it (sometimes) when they pitch and their records and ranking through PG or whatever org you follow also indicate that.

I get it, college baseball is hard. My son had a baseball coach that used to say "if it was easy, anybody could do it". I get it. Your not going to be successful everytime you go out. It just seems that recently we are usually not (consistently) "successful" (another question ..... what is success) when our guys takes the mound.

I love our guys, I love our team, I love what the extra effort that they have to put in to succeed at Tech.

If I am frustrated I can only imagine the level of frustration that they have.
I agree with all of this. What I can't understand is that all of our current weekend starters, Medich, Grissom, Huff, have had really good starts at times. Huff started off the season looking like the Friday night guy we need. Until he wasn't. Grissom has struggled with command at times, but has had solid outings. Medich was really good his first few outings, but wasn't at Clemson. Just need some consistency out of our pitching staff. Starters and relievers.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I agree with all of this. What I can't understand is that all of our current weekend starters, Medich, Grissom, Huff, have had really good starts at times. Huff started off the season looking like the Friday night guy we need. Until he wasn't. Grissom has struggled with command at times, but has had solid outings. Medich was really good his first few outings, but wasn't at Clemson. Just need some consistency out of our pitching staff. Starters and relievers.
Yeah, this is what I've been most disappointed with because they have all shown flashes of being great. I think if we had a legit ace, the rest of the staff would fall in place but nobody has stepped up to that role.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
There's no reason to believe this team can make any noise in the post-season. There's also no chance I'll stop paying attention because they could mash their way out of any post-season weekend.

The strangest (most frustrating) year I've experienced in a long time. There have been a few very frustrating "endings" to seasons, but this one has severely tested my "it's all about the journey" crap.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There's no reason to believe this team can make any noise in the post-season. There's also no chance I'll stop paying attention because they could mash their way out of any post-season weekend.

The strangest (most frustrating) year I've experienced in a long time. There have been a few very frustrating "endings" to seasons, but this one has severely tested my "it's all about the journey" crap.

Yes, all about the journey is crap when the journey sucks. It's easy to say money doesn't matter when you have enough. Some extremes:
  • Offensive cavemen & Pitching over thinking.
  • Fear & Greed.
  • Ying & Yang.
  • Love & Hate.
  • Fire & Ice.
  • Manic & depressive.
  • Cheech & Chong. (maybe not)
I am also at a loss. I pull for the underdog and sincerely respect what smaller programs without the highly ranked talent and lesser facilities do. I respect those who play good baseball, especially good defense. But I want us to win. Just because I want to believe.

In the end I still feel this, but hope I'm wrong again:

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At least the A&M coach is admitting he's canceling a game because he sees only a downside to playing it when considering post season implications. On the other hand... if the Aggies do end up on hosting bubble... I'd love if if the committee specifically sites this cancelation as the reason A&M is the 2 seed in Blacksburg. :p

We need to cancel Danny Hall's Memories Tour of Akron - RPI 267 (12-33) and Kent State - RPI 197 (18-26) next Monday and Tuesday. Our RPI is going to decrease into the 30's even if we win both.

Not the way to set up for the Thursday, Friday and Saturday @Pitt series which is pivotal to any NCAA seeding.

Other than a send off for Danny Hall, what in the world was the reason for this scheduling without a weekend series and two mid-week games just before the last ACC series of the season?

We'd be better off staying home and practicing pitching and defense.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
We need to cancel Danny Hall's Memories Tour of Akron - RPI 267 (12-33) and Kent State - RPI 197 (18-26) next Monday and Tuesday. Our RPI is going to decrease into the 30's even if we win both.

Not the way to set up for the Thursday, Friday and Saturday @Pitt series which is pivotal to any NCAA seeding.

Other than a send off for Danny Hall, what in the world was the reason for this scheduling without a weekend series and two mid-week games just before the last ACC series of the season?

Where does it end, though? You just cancel any game that might hurt your RPI? Of course, that's ridiculous. Here's what you do. You put together a schedule and you play the schedule... let the chips fall. Winners will bubble (excuse the pun) to the top.

I have no problem questioning the decision to "originally" set up this schedule in the first place. I'm pretty sure you were all over this back then, Nuke. Fine with that; but to cancel NOW because you're trying to 'work the system' in you favor... I can't get onboard with that. Play the schedule. WIN ball games.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Not sure if Nuke was being serious at the end of his recent post?
If you cancel, you lose on forfeit. We don’t need a couple of 1-0 defeats to those two teams.

I really thought Coach scheduled them as part of a late season farewell tour announcement. Obviously now, I was as wrong as calling our pitching good.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Where does it end, though? You just cancel any game that might hurt your RPI? Of course, that's ridiculous. Here's what you do. You put together a schedule and you play the schedule... let the chips fall. Winners will bubble (excuse the pun) to the top.

I have no problem questioning the decision to "originally" set up this schedule in the first place. I'm pretty sure you were all over this back then, Nuke. Fine with that; but to cancel NOW because you're trying to 'work the system' in you favor... I can't get onboard with that. Play the schedule. WIN ball games.
I agree whole heartedly. Just because Texas A&M is coached by someone that appears to be a dishonorable, spineless pansy and chooses to cluck like a chicken, doesn't mean we should. Play the durn games; maybe our pitchers will do something exceptional to gain confidence and give us a better opportunity to succeed.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not sure if Nuke was being serious at the end of his recent post?
If you cancel, you lose on forfeit. We don’t need a couple of 1-0 defeats to those two teams.

I really thought Coach scheduled them as part of a late season farewell tour announcement. Obviously now, I was as wrong as calling our pitching good.

I was serious about this being a stupid schedule. Both Akron and Kent State were awful last year so it' not like we didn't know we'd take an RPI hit. And most of us including @FredJacket were on it when the schedule was announced. While I don't believe that consistency in weekend pitching rotation is as important as some make it out to be, we have screwed up that rotation too. Along with 5 games in 6 days the week before the ACC Tourney.

The games would have to be cancelled and not forfeited. Forfeit would make an awful decision awfuler. And I don't see that happening.

I too was hoping it would be part of Danny Hall's Farewell Tour, but that hasn't been announced. So it was never planned or plans have changed. This season progression is not what anyone hoped for or expected. (Warren Nolan site https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2022/team-rank?team=Georgia-Tech )

1652452233746.png

I also was wrong about our pitching improving. Hopefully we can get a bunch of portal transfer pitchers in to help next year. There will be plenty with better ERAs available than what we have.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I was serious about this being a stupid schedule. Both Akron and Kent State were awful last year so it' not like we didn't know we'd take an RPI hit. And most of us including @FredJacket were on it when the schedule was announced. While I don't believe that consistency in weekend pitching rotation is as important as some make it out to be, we have screwed up that rotation too. Along with 5 games in 6 days the week before the ACC Tourney.

The games would have to be cancelled and not forfeited. Forfeit would make an awful decision awfuler. And I don't see that happening.

I too was hoping it would be part of Danny Hall's Farewell Tour, but that hasn't been announced. So it was never planned or plans have changed. This season progression is not what anyone hoped for or expected. (Warren Nolan site https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2022/team-rank?team=Georgia-Tech )

View attachment 12419

I also was wrong about our pitching improving. Hopefully we can get a bunch of portal transfer pitchers in to help next year. There will be plenty with better ERAs available than what we have.
Honest, sincere question. Why would those teams agree to canceling? They have obviously sold tickets, and it gives their programs some national recognition.

Agreed on needing pitching.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, and we don’t even get the “farewell” part. Might have been worth it with that (TIC)