2022 Season

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not saying GT can't do better than Hall, I'm just saying be careful what you ask for.
I know. It reminds me more of Bobby Bowden than Herb Sendek. I'm not asking for it, but I won't be initially upset. But I do realize GT baseball could be the next GT football, especially in this day and time with this administration.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I know. It reminds me more of Bobby Bowden than Herb Sendek. I'm not asking for it, but I won't be initially upset. But I do realize GT baseball could be the next GT football, especially in this day and time with this administration.
That's a great point. Does anyone really want to make a HC change with Stansbury doing the picking? Might as well have sasquatch making the call.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You totally missed the point of that statement. It wasn't saying Hall was Heppler's equal, it was saying Heppler is the only men's coach at GT that comes close to what Hall is doing.

Yes, I get we're all disappointed, especially with the talent GT has been getting. Postseason results (including ACC tournaments as well as NCAAs) should have been more fruitful. This situation reminds me a LOT of Herb Sendek's time as NC State's basketball coach. For his last 5 years, he made the NCAA tournament only getting past the second round once. NC State fans and donors pushed him out. After Sendek left, they were able to go to the Sweet 16 gain twice under Mark Gottfried, and Gottfried had a run of 5 years with NCAA tournaments (never getting past the second round outside of those Sweet 16 appearances), but success has been few and far between the past 17 years Sendek has been gone.

I'm not saying GT can't do better than Hall, I'm just saying be careful what you ask for.
So what are we to do? Be scared of being worse than mid level so we give Hall another 29 seasons? I know it’s a tough thought process but at some point you gotta give someone else a shot. If you are worried about becoming an NC State then hire a proven top 10 coach. But, I forgot GT athletics never does what it takes. How about this, GT should go hire the Tennessee coach away from them. But we all know that will never happen because we simply don’t push the envelope. If recent hires tell us anything we‘ll let Ramsey get poached then when Hall retires we’ll hire some nobody and wonder why we take a step back. How about we actually get a top tier coach that players want to play for.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
SEC salaries are much higher than ACC salaries. Conversely coach consistency/tenure is better in the ACC. Recruits look to see if the coach is going to be there when they show up to campus and while on campus. Makes a big difference.

Forbes talked about it during a prospect camp.
Hall has definitely earned the right to leave on his own terms and when he's ready. He'll tell us when.

Last edited:

Tennessee GT Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
What's the word going around considering who will succeed Coach Hall when he decides to retire? Who do you think would be candidates for the GT Baseball Coach job if Coach Hall decides to retire following the 2023 season?

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
What's the word going around considering who will succeed Coach Hall when he decides to retire? Who do you think would be candidates for the GT Baseball Coach job if Coach Hall decides to retire following the 2023 season?

The hope, goal, and prayer is that it will be Ramsey. He is AMAZING and would be a tremendous Coach when the time comes.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
So what are we to do? Be scared of being worse than mid level so we give Hall another 29 seasons? I know it’s a tough thought process but at some point you gotta give someone else a shot. If you are worried about becoming an NC State then hire a proven top 10 coach. But, I forgot GT athletics never does what it takes. How about this, GT should go hire the Tennessee coach away from them. But we all know that will never happen because we simply don’t push the envelope. If recent hires tell us anything we‘ll let Ramsey get poached then when Hall retires we’ll hire some nobody and wonder why we take a step back. How about we actually get a top tier coach that players want to play for.

You're living in a fantasy land. The head coach of Tennessee, Tony Vitello, makes about $1 million more a year then CDH and is signed through 2026. Since you're so adamant about doing what it takes I'm sure you're going to be first in line to chip in to pay the buyout and pay a salary that would actually entice him to leave. I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one.

If you think GT has the same resources that the SEC teams do you are delusional. Hell, a major league pitching coach just left his division leading team mid-season to be the pitching coach for LSU in part because they're gonna pay him more. That's what we're up against.

I've said this before but it's not a coincidence that we've "struggled" in baseball the past 10-15 years the same way every other GT sport has. Money and resources has a lot to do with it. As money has flooded college sports we've gotten a progressively smaller piece of the pie which has ripple affects on the entirety of the athletic association. Baseball is not immune to this.

Last edited:

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I've said this before but it's not a coincidence that we've "struggled" in baseball the past 10-15 years the same way every other GT sport has. Money and resources has a lot to do with it. As money has flooded college sports we've gotten a progressively smaller piece of the pie which has ripple affects on the entirety of the athletic association. Baseball is not immune to this.
Unfortunately... true. Also not likely to change in the short-term.

Hindsight is 20/20 but we should have listened if the B1G really did want to talk to us. Esp since it seems the ACC office never wants to do us any favors.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You're living in a fantasy land. The head coach of Tennessee, Tony Vitello, makes about $1 million more a year then CDH and is signed through 2026. Since you're so adamant about doing what it takes I'm sure you're going to be first in line to chip in to pay the buyout and pay a salary that would actually entice him to leave. I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one.

If you think GT has the same resources that the SEC teams do you are delusional. Hell, a major league pitching coach just left his division leading team mid-season to be the pitching coach for LSU in part because they're gonna pay him more. That's what we're up against.

Excuses, excuses. Like I said if GT wanted to compete they could. Our fans are brain washed into believing GT is broke and it’s all woe is me. Give me a break. We have one of the largest endowments in the south yet we act like we gotta shop at Wal-Mart. Oh yeah, GT money isn’t allowed to be touched by a part of GT. How bout this. Change the rules so we can. Oh yeah, I forgot. No one in the GT administration gives a crap about GT sports. So unlike every other southern P5 team where the school supports athletics, GT’s administration uses GT sporting events as the way to pass a few hours while getting patted on their backs while their team gets abused on the field. It’s absolutely disgusting. And our fans never ever push back on our self imposed probation.

Let me ask you this - if GT’s mechanical and engineering program dropped to #75 in the national rankings do you think our admin would continue with business as usual? Heck no. The Pres would be fired and every head of those departments would be gone and we’d be hiring away talent from the top schools. But in other areas of the Institute we throw our hands up and make excuses.

And you‘re darn right I won’t be fitting the bill for an inept organization so the admin can have more cheese cake during halftime.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Another first round catcher coming in? Wonder what year.

Parada seems to be part of an increasing number of elite players coming in older so they only have two years to 21. Makes perfect sense since they have two years eligibility in their first draft.
The first rounder in a few weeks will be Parada. MLB Amateur Draft takes place then.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Trying to keep good thread hygiene....

This site is quite good and informative when researching programs. Lots of great information about each program, turnover, transfers, ages of classes, etc. Not a fan of the annual charge, as when you're doing this you can research what you need within a month, but I get it....