2022 Season

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

RPI now included... which has Ga Tech higher (at #4) than any other poll or ranking system included in the composite. Still too early to consider RPI useful.

We are together on the accuracy of RPI, especially early. As D1 Baseball Sorenson said last week:
1647952436788.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NCST Rotation: Huff, Cody and Grissom. Maxwell to the Pen.

I have absolutely nothing to complain about with Hall's coaching this year. In past years I did with the Slow Hook but not this year.

He is right, we fundamentally sucked on defense and pitching Wednesday night. There was a bright spot in pitching (Mannelly).

We are seeing which pitchers can be relied on and those that can't. I expect the ones who can't be relied on will see much less playing time the closer we get to post season. As it should be.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Apologies if this is duplicate info; but listening to DBo on Wednesday pregame, he was asked about Jackson Finley's progress. Wed was 1 year to day from his TJ surgery. That day he had pitched (for the first time) to live batters & DBo was positive about where he (Finley) is right now. No timeline provided but clearly he's on track to be a factor before season's end. That could be huge.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Sorry. Not related to Ga Tech, but had to share. This is great. College baseball has great athletes & baseball players... yet, you can still catch "kids" losing their minds. In this case, it's several on a single play.

If anyone can find another angle that captures the 3rd baseman for more of the play, I'd love to see that. Spoiler... as he shows up (stage left)... he appears to be doing a jig juuuuuuuuust before he realizes he IS COOKED! LOLOL.

I think he just wanted to get the front of his shirt dirty to show that he played.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
No idea. TV guys (tonight) said the "hope" was he'd be back for UVA series next weekend just
No idea. TV guys (tonight) said the "hope" was he'd be back for UVA series next weekend.
Yes I heard. I’ve seen him in dugout and by appearance it doesn’t seem to be broken nose or anything. I’m not questioning him by any means, just wondering.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
13-3 when Simpson started.
3-5 in last 8 games he's missed.

With Chandler we are an NCAA team. Without him we are not. He is a difference maker.

As to injuries, it's only what the student-athlete or family decide to release. I don't question him at all and we don't know much except there was blood when he got hit in the head by a baseball.

ScGold

Banned
With Chandler we are an NCAA team. Without him we are not. He is a difference maker.

As to injuries, it's only what the student-athlete or family decide to release. I don't question him at all and we don't know much except there was blood when he got hit in the head by a baseball.
Ur first sentence is the problem with the program. One player, a transfer at that, has that much to do with the success of the team. That is in inexcusable.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I'd say SS is one of the key positions so having a stud there is key to defense. I also think Chandler, from what I hear and have heard, is atypical for speed and stealing bases and a threat that we normally and historically didn't have. He also distracts the pitcher while pitching to Parada, which I'm sure Parada appreciates and can and has capitalized on.

Another key position is Catcher.
If we were and can talk to Parada being a gamechanger, we're kinda used to that at Catcher U, but the catcher touches the ball more than any other player in the field (since he plays the whole game after the starter leaves and bullpen is called in). So a solid catcher is a gamechanger and paramount to success. Parada also brings elite hitting on top of his catching to the plate as a bonus.

We're a pretty young team on the mound, compared to other programs, when you look at the Covid and Regular SO pitchers and freshman getting the call and putting in the work. We don't have many Jr and Srs as other programs.

I also think, and people aren't focusing on this much, is the level of talent in College is the highest/toughest it's been, given Covid, the $hit draft, and clog that has created, both for incoming as well as others not leaving (extra year) nor getting drafted. All of that boils over to all teams with way more talent, that normally wouldn't be there. I think we're all seeing the effects of that across College baseball, at all levels.

Normally bringing in non starter to any fielding positions wouldn't be as noticeable in years' past as it is now. That isn't a knock on anyone, but the talent, like a wild hog, will continue to test you and find a hole, or make one in your deFence (I got all texan on ya)

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
With Chandler being out, I keep wondering where is Kristen Campbell? He was highly rated but we have seen nothing from him.

Also, @eokerholm I've been wanting to ask you, What do you think the biggest transition is from HS to College for pitchers?

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Can’t comment on the first part

As for the pitching - At the level of the groups and arms we’re getting and for the stages they’ve already been on with dominance and success, the biggest difference is actually the ball. ACC balls have minimal stitching profile compared to balls used in PG balls compared to HS baseballs.

The guys have to learn the “new/different”flight patterns and paths of their balls. But the lab and visuals only help expedite that.

That is for pitcher and batters

The group is used to playing against this type of competition - there is just more of it across all positions…