2022 Schedule??

JacketFan137

Banned
Yeah, I don’t understand throwing Yates under the bus and giving Sims a pass. At one point last season there were lots of fans wanting Yates to start over Sims. Not that I think they were correct but it shows just how poorly Sims was playing and how poorly our QBs were coached last year. Both should have made progress but actually seemed to lose ground.
i think the sims hate train stemmed from a multitude of reasons and i don’t think he was playing anywhere nearly as poor as some people made it out to be for a good part of the season

people were still mad about his first year turnovers, which ultimately were a bit unfair considering he was a freshman who just got forced to start in a whacky year with no kennesaw state/alcorn state/whoever as a tune up game as well as having a bad o line. he made a few bad throws against northern illinois got hurt on a bad handoff and yates came in and made some decent plays. yates then got to play against KSU and stat pad and people were so happy we scored points they got overzealous and were fooled into thinking he was better

yates was also the hometown georgia kid, a recruit from the previous regime (who was actually successful), and yates is a much more vocal player when he’s celebrating. suddenly yates is seen as this fiery leader with a better grasp of the offense and all these other narrative things that weren’t exactly true. i am a part of a pretty big facebook group and i know there were a significant amount of people saying it was nice to have a QB with heart and the whole time we’re really buying into that paul johnson recruits played harder narrative.

it’s also incredibly common in college football the second a team is bad that the backup qb was the guy who should have been playing the whole time.

now yates’ issues were almost entirely physical so it was unfortunate for him that i don’t think any amount of coaching could have made him successful here. against clemson and unc back to back he was completely ineffective. sims came in against unc and that was pretty evident.

now sims obviously has not overcome some of the mental hurdles. i am willing to chalk that up to patenaude being a terrible OC as well as QB coach. hopefully long and weinke can create a system that will actually use his talent and develop him. the raw skills and ceiling were just way too high to keep rolling yates out there

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
i think the sims hate train stemmed from a multitude of reasons and i don’t think he was playing anywhere nearly as poor as some people made it out to be for a good part of the season

people were still mad about his first year turnovers, which ultimately were a bit unfair considering he was a freshman who just got forced to start in a whacky year with no kennesaw state/alcorn state/whoever as a tune up game as well as having a bad o line. he made a few bad throws against northern illinois got hurt on a bad handoff and yates came in and made some decent plays. yates then got to play against KSU and stat pad and people were so happy we scored points they got overzealous and were fooled into thinking he was better

yates was also the hometown georgia kid, a recruit from the previous regime (who was actually successful), and yates is a much more vocal player when he’s celebrating. suddenly yates is seen as this fiery leader with a better grasp of the offense and all these other narrative things that weren’t exactly true. i am a part of a pretty big facebook group and i know there were a significant amount of people saying it was nice to have a QB with heart and the whole time we’re really buying into that paul johnson recruits played harder narrative.

it’s also incredibly common in college football the second a team is bad that the backup qb was the guy who should have been playing the whole time.

now yates’ issues were almost entirely physical so it was unfortunate for him that i don’t think any amount of coaching could have made him successful here. against clemson and unc back to back he was completely ineffective. sims came in against unc and that was pretty evident.

now sims obviously has not overcome some of the mental hurdles. i am willing to chalk that up to patenaude being a terrible OC as well as QB coach. hopefully long and weinke can create a system that will actually use his talent and develop him. the raw skills and ceiling were just way too high to keep rolling yates out there
This is the year for Sims to prove he deserved the starting role. Hope he gets it going.

JacketFan137

Banned
This is the year for Sims to prove he deserved the starting role. Hope he gets it going.
yeah up until this year there’s really been no serious competition. when he came in it was only option QBs on the roster and peery was still just a freshman who didn’t get a senior year in HS.

with pyron and now gibson behind him the spot is nowhere near as safe. i still feel like he’ll be the starter but this will be an actual competition now

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
yeah up until this year there’s really been no serious competition. when he came in it was only option QBs on the roster and peery was still just a freshman who didn’t get a senior year in HS.

with pyron and now gibson behind him the spot is nowhere near as safe. i still feel like he’ll be the starter but this will be an actual competition now
We have gone back and forth on several things and I don't disagree with you on everything. I just don't understand the constant jabs at Yates, especially when there is no need for them.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yes, so we shouldn't expect a 1-4 record after playing 4 games.
Sloppy on my part... if we are 1-4 after playing Clem, Ole Miss, UCF, WCU and Duke, were in big trouble. I was thinking if Duke is game 5, we are at least 1-1 to start conf play.... and that had better be at least 2-3 overall with a win over WCU. Holding out hope we can get a win over UCF or Ole Miss to boot...

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Hope they do a better job showing Tech this year.
We are a mere afterthought in the minds of the Carolina conference. Don’t expect anything from them. The only person who has pushed them in decades on behalf of GT was Paul Johnson. He’s gone so we are now a weak patsy they know they can roll with zero accountability. Our coach and AD are now fighting for their jobs so they have other worries than the Carolina office so we are still the team that will get slotted in after everyone else.