2022 Schedule??

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We are a mere afterthought in the minds of the Carolina conference. Don’t expect anything from them. The only person who has pushed them in decades on behalf of GT was Paul Johnson. He’s gone so we are now a weak patsy they know they can roll with zero accountability. Our coach and AD are now fighting for their jobs so they have other worries than the Carolina office so we are still the team that will get slotted in after everyone else.
That was before. Not so sure that's going to be the case. Phillips is not a North Carolinian, so the Carolina Mafia has less influence (they'll always have some influence) than they did with the previous bozo.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I want to believe you but Phillips has shown me nothing so far. Seriously, has he led on anything or even done more than a strongly worded email? He jumped on board this “Alliance” stuff like a lemming when he should have done something (liked delivered ND to the ACC). I just don’t get it. His job is to do what’s in the best interest of the ACC and I don’t see anything different from the Swofford days. Not only did he not know about the OU/Texas move but then the college World Series debacle happened where lo and behold 2 SEC teams advanced and his team got locked in a hotel room. With the ACC losing our only college football playoff program from the top tier we are about to be in PAC 12 territory in football.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What if the 5th game is Duke?
Imo
If game winning td by sanders and Sims had failed last year , he would have been gone. At end of game he said we beat a great offensive football team. I still get grief for that one.

2022 Get an L from Duke and only have 1 win , he is gone that day.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Imo
If game winning td by sanders and Sims had failed last year , he would have been gone. At end of game he said we beat a great offensive football team. I still get grief for that one.

I agree. People keep saying we are stuck with him until his contract is over but if things get that bad you ditch a coach in the middle of a season just to signal a fresh start and that you are serious about pursuing excellence.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Imo

No matter the record, we will still be smart financially and wait to season's end.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I want to believe you but Phillips has shown me nothing so far. Seriously, has he led on anything or even done more than a strongly worded email? He jumped on board this “Alliance” stuff like a lemming when he should have done something (liked delivered ND to the ACC). I just don’t get it. His job is to do what’s in the best interest of the ACC and I don’t see anything different from the Swofford days. Not only did he not know about the OU/Texas move but then the college World Series debacle happened where lo and behold 2 SEC teams advanced and his team got locked in a hotel room. With the ACC losing our only college football playoff program from the top tier we are about to be in PAC 12 territory in football.
Especially when your conference champion had a L vs Western Michigan

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No matter the record, we will still be smart financially and wait to season's end.
Sunk loss fallacy if hanging onto the bitter end destroys the program. Not trying to be dramatic just saying hanging on to save a few bucks could be penny wise and pound foolish if worse comes to worse.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sunk loss fallacy if hanging onto the bitter end destroys the program. Not trying to be dramatic just saying hanging on to save a few bucks could be penny wise and pound foolish if worse comes to worse.
We could not terminate (but also not renew) CGC's contract until it expired and it wouldn't destroy the program. It might knock it down, but a prudent hire at that time (that's kind of been hit or miss) and we'd be back within a recruiting generation.

All this being said, that would never happen. But gnashing our teeth about mid-season versus end-of-season termination is a silly argument. If we were going to terminate CGC before the end of next season, it would have already happened. I'm not sure anything short of a full-on insurrection or cause will get CGC terminated before the end of next season.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Is this the new Fire Geo
We could not terminate (but also not renew) CGC's contract until it expired and it wouldn't destroy the program. It might knock it down, but a prudent hire at that time (that's kind of been hit or miss) and we'd be back within a recruiting generation.

All this being said, that would never happen. But gnashing our teeth about mid-season versus end-of-season termination is a silly argument. If we were going to terminate CGC before the end of next season, it would have already happened. I'm not sure anything short of a full-on insurrection or cause will get CGC terminated before the end of next season.
Is this the new Fire Geoff Collins thread?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Spending $7.5 million for lack of patience is childish. Making the change now or in October is the same expense.
Childish is killing a program just to say you saved money. If it’s bad you don’t want to see the ashes that are left of this program if fans think you resigned them to years of futility and lost revenue just because you stubbornly thought you were saving money.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Childish is killing a program just to say you saved money. If it’s bad you don’t want to see the ashes that are left of this program if fans think you resigned them to years of futility and lost revenue just because you stubbornly thought you were saving money.
You repeatedly say that waiting until the end of next season is the death knell of the program. I don't understand where this comes from. There's no way the end of next season versus the middle of next season is going to affect the health of the program.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You repeatedly say that waiting until the end of next season is the death knell of the program. I don't understand where this comes from. There's no way the end of next season versus the middle of next season is going to affect the health of the program.
This has happened before. A team and a fan base become so demoralized that it makes no sense to just go through the motions just to say the coach finished the season. Sometimes, as has happened in other situations, the program needs to demonstrate a reset and you have an assistant finish out the season.

I’m not predicting this at all. As a matter of fact I’m hoping for a turnaround. But if the first 5 games next year indicate that the first three years were not an anomaly, that it was in fact a trend line, lack of decisive action would be catastrophic. You could not wait through an entire off season to begin to try to put the program back together the next year. Fans would be lost and those that were left would be angry and disheartened, believing that no one is in charge or no one cares.

Now, if CGC wins six games next year then waiting until the end of the season to make a decision makes sense. But if we see one more season that starts with a complete meltdown you will need to do damage control as quickly as possible.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Patience and stubbornness are often conflated by children.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This has happened before. A team and a fan base become so demoralized that it makes no sense to just go through the motions just to say the coach finished the season. Sometimes, as has happened in other situations, the program needs to demonstrate a reset and you have an assistant finish out the season.

I’m not predicting this at all. As a matter of fact I’m hoping for a turnaround. But if the first 5 games next year indicate that the first three years were not an anomaly, that it was in fact a trend line, lack of decisive action would be catastrophic. You could not wait through an entire off season to begin to try to put the program back together the next year. Fans would be lost and those that were left would be angry and disheartened, believing that no one is in charge or no one cares.

Now, if CGC wins six games next year then waiting until the end of the season to make a decision makes sense. But if we see one more season that starts with a complete meltdown you will need to do damage control as quickly as possible.
I know we all want wild success. Some are optimistic, some are pessimistic, and some have no hope at all. Personally, if it will save us $3MM to wait from October to December to relieve a coach of his duties, then, by all means, wait. Instead of spending that extra $3MM on someone going out the door, use it to help build something for the next guy coming in. Hell, if I were Stansbury, I might have a conversation with the big boy donors about even letting it ride another year. We're not poor, but we don't have expendable cash to just throw at someone as they're leaving. I'd much rather spend that same capital investing in the group building the future. Just random thoughts on a Monday afternoon.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I know we all want wild success. Some are optimistic, some are pessimistic, and some have no hope at all. Personally, if it will save us $3MM to wait from October to December to relieve a coach of his duties, then, by all means, wait. Instead of spending that extra $3MM on someone going out the door, use it to help build something for the next guy coming in. Hell, if I were Stansbury, I might have a conversation with the big boy donors about even letting it ride another year. We're not poor, but we don't have expendable cash to just throw at someone as they're leaving. I'd much rather spend that same capital investing in the group building the future. Just random thoughts on a Monday afternoon.
If we start 1-3 and if we don't look like there is improvement (note I said if and not when), then realistically you have a problem. Yes you save $$ by waiting until the end of the season, but then you are trading cash in the bank for lost value in brand and recruiting opportunity. If you've visibly got a lame duck coach who is getting written up in hot seat watches, then in a lot of situations you've passed that cost/benefit line and you have to make a change.

Turnover happens and transfers happen for all manner of reasons, but the value of the program under CGC has not increased since the UGA game (although I like the hires - a lot). A turnaround would truly be a surprise based on what we have seen to date. It's hard to imagine the new coaches making that significant an impact that quickly. I just think CGC has run out of time and he has to make an impact in those first four games to keep his job even through the season.

Am not wishing for it, but just giving a scenario that could unfortunately become too real too soon....

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Sure but it raises the question as to why we fired Bill Lewis with three games left on the schedule. To me the answer is obvious. We wanted to clear the deck to stop the bleeding and so that O’Leary could get a start on figuring out who could play the following year and what our recruiting needs would be. Regardless of how the Lewis contract was structured (IT DOES’NT MATTER) money was saved in the long run by saving the program.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
If the company you own stock in is going under it isn’t patience to ride that stock all the way to the bottom.

But let’s hope this hypothetical doesn’t happen and we win 8 games this year.
If the stock is going down while earnings and cash flow are improving, I would look for changing fundamentals or manipulation and buy puts to cover my position.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Sure but it raises the question as to why we fired Bill Lewis with three games left on the schedule. To me the answer is obvious. We wanted to clear the deck to stop the bleeding and so that O’Leary could get a start on figuring out who could play the following year and what our recruiting needs would be. Regardless of how the Lewis contract was structured (IT DOES’NT MATTER) money was saved in the long run by saving the program.
What was his contract situation? And I am pretty sure that our debt in ‘94 was not like it is now