2022 Schedule??

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
You know it’s an biased agenda going on when you see KSU would’ve beat us later on in the season or Miami “gave” us those turnovers and not saying we forced those turnovers.
His argument was that Clemson would have beat us by 3 TD's later in the season, however poorly worded it was.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
His argument was that Clemson would have beat us by 3 TD's later in the season, however poorly worded it was.
Unfortunately that may be true.

In some ways we looked better against NIU than we did against, say Boston College. It felt to me like the team became more chaotic and less focused the longer the season went on. Speculation on my part for sure but visually the team looked like it lost a step with each loss on the schedule. Clemson is a prime example of us looking like a totally different team than we looked like against Notre Dame.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Honestly the ND result was kind of surprising. Not that ND wasn’t a good team, or that I expected the upset, just that I expected so much more from us. The UGA result was somewhat predictable. Neither game defined the season but it sure was a kick in the gut to end the season with two shut outs while the other teams named their score.
We can debate moral victories and look for silver linings in our margins of defeat, but bottom line is next year has to be good old fashioned W’s... No one is going to be proud of being competitive with VT and Pitt and we certainly aren’t going to be pleased with late leads over the likes of BC and Miami unless the leads hold. I don’t know how many W’s it’ll take to know that we’re on the right track, but if we can’t muster at least .500 in conference (especially as weak as the coastal looks like it could be), we’ve got to reevaluate.

JacketFan137

Banned
Honestly the ND result was kind of surprising. Not that ND wasn’t a good team, or that I expected the upset, just that I expected so much more from us. The UGA result was somewhat predictable. Neither game defined the season but it sure was a kick in the gut to end the season with two shut outs while the other teams named their score.
We can debate moral victories and look for silver linings in our margins of defeat, but bottom line is next year has to be good old fashioned W’s... No one is going to be proud of being competitive with VT and Pitt and we certainly aren’t going to be pleased with late leads over the likes of BC and Miami unless the leads hold. I don’t know how many W’s it’ll take to know that we’re on the right track, but if we can’t muster at least .500 in conference (especially as weak as the coastal looks like it could be), we’ve got to reevaluate.
that notre dame result could have been written in the second it was announced yates was starting. by then the film was out there and it was obvious he wasn’t capable of hitting anything more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. remember the second half of that boston college game our offense basically died because they brought everyone up

not saying that sims wins that game by any stretch. i just think final result is probably more like 40-20 instead of 55-0. sims also did a great job of avoiding sacks. something yates just didn’t have the athleticism to do

that being said you’re right we have to convert some of this into wins. luckily we were incredibly young overall so we bring back a lot of experience. our worst unit by a long shot was our DBs and a lot of them are gone. there’s also a bit of a QB exodus in the acc and slovis is no pickett regardless of what the negative nancies will say

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
that notre dame result could have been written in the second it was announced yates was starting. by then the film was out there and it was obvious he wasn’t capable of hitting anything more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. remember the second half of that boston college game our offense basically died because they brought everyone up

not saying that sims wins that game by any stretch. i just think final result is probably more like 40-20 instead of 55-0. sims also did a great job of avoiding sacks. something yates just didn’t have the athleticism to do

that being said you’re right we have to convert some of this into wins. luckily we were incredibly young overall so we bring back a lot of experience. our worst unit by a long shot was our DBs and a lot of them are gone. there’s also a bit of a QB exodus in the acc and slovis is no pickett regardless of what the negative nancies will say
Clemson arguably had the best defense in the country when we played them and somehow we didn’t look near as incompetent against them. This was more than just about Yates. This was the entire team losing focus.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Maybe.... but I don’t think anyone was expecting full meltdown. If you were calling it; so be it. Problem went a lot deeper than the starting QB. Even if we conceded that we would struggle on O and may not score and even if we chalk up a couple of ND scores to offensive mistakes, I still expected us to show up bigger than a shut out and a five score margin.

JacketFan137

Banned
Clemson arguably had the best defense in the country when we played them and somehow we didn’t look near as incompetent against them. This was more than just about Yates. This was the entire team losing focus.
the team didn’t really lose focus though. yates opened the game with a pick 6 and we had a 3 and out cause yates took a bad sack.

we were always gonna lose the game but yates deficiencies were finally on full display when we played a team physical enough to shut down the running game with gibbs.

we had 224 yards total

JacketFan137

Banned
Maybe.... but I don’t think anyone was expecting full meltdown. If you were calling it; so be it. Problem went a lot deeper than the starting QB. Even if we conceded that we would struggle on O and may not score and even if we chalk up a couple of ND scores to offensive mistakes, I still expected us to show up bigger than a shut out and a five score margin.
yeah i unfortunately made a lot of money on the game. the second sims was out i was dumping money on the -18 original spread and had alt lined it up to -35. i had absolutely zero faith yates could keep it in the ball park. our defense just got exhausted because we had no actual drives and went three and out almost every drive that game

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That is what I meant and maybe it was poorly worded. By the end of the season Clemson was beating Wake Forest by 21 and South Carolina by 30. We went the opposite direction. We caught them at the right time when their offense was completely lost in the abyss somewhere. We are fortunate to get them early in the season again next year as they will still be trying to figure out their QB situation.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

We played back to back games against teams ranked in the 50's in defensive FEI this year.

Against team 1 - Sims - 55%, 5.1 ypa, 1 TD, 1 INT, offense scored 21 points
Against team 2 - Yates - 61%. 4.5 ypa, 1TD, 1 INT, offense scored 23 points

Arguing that we are a +3 TD team with Sims in there is non sensical.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
the team didn’t really lose focus though. yates opened the game with a pick 6 and we had a 3 and out cause yates took a bad sack.

we were always gonna lose the game but yates deficiencies were finally on full display when we played a team physical enough to shut down the running game with gibbs.

we had 224 yards total
Gibbs had 30 yards against Clemson.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think most people expected more from us. A few people on this site even thought Notre Dame was ripe for an upset.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That is what I meant and maybe it was poorly worded. By the end of the season Clemson was beating Wake Forest by 21 and South Carolina by 30. We went the opposite direction. We caught them at the right time when their offense was completely lost in the abyss somewhere. We are fortunate to get them early in the season again next year as they will still be trying to figure out their QB situation.
And that is one more example of our late season meltdown. Other teams adjusted. They either learned to play against our weaknesses or they learned to compensate for their weaknesses. In either case lots of teams grew or evolved and, by comparison, we got worse.

JacketFan137

Banned
And that is one more example of our late season meltdown. Other teams adjusted. They either learned to play against our weaknesses or they learned to compensate for their weaknesses. In either case lots of teams grew or evolved and, by comparison, we got worse.
again, having your backup FCS level QB in really explains so much of that
We played back to back games against teams ranked in the 50's in defensive FEI this year.

Against team 1 - Sims - 55%, 5.1 ypa, 1 TD, 1 INT, offense scored 21 points
Against team 2 - Yates - 61%. 4.5 ypa, 1TD, 1 INT, offense scored 23 points

Arguing that we are a +3 TD team with Sims in there is non sensical.
sims was pretty obviously hurt and then didn’t play the next week because of that. yates really isn’t mobile enough to be a threat as a runner for p5 football and his arm isn’t talented enough to test defenses further down field. had sims been in there there is likely more running lanes for both mason and gibbs.

either way we lose but ultimately yates was a MASSIVE detriment to the offense.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

sims was pretty obviously hurt and then didn’t play the next week because of that. yates really isn’t mobile enough to be a threat as a runner for p5 football and his arm isn’t talented enough to test defenses further down field. had sims been in there there is likely more running lanes for both mason and gibbs.

Yates wasn't available to play against Miami because of injury. It's hard to imagine he was 100% a week later. Sims wasn't the only one battling injuries.

JacketFan137

Banned
Yates wasn't available to play against Miami because of injury. It's hard to imagine he was 100% a week later. Sims wasn't the only one battling injuries.
thats fair. i am being admittedly hard on yates but aside from KSU it was just very difficult to watch the offense with him at QB. the gap in athleticism and ability was just so massive when we played UNC. I have a hard time imagining any loss would look as bad with a healthy sims as it did with yates in. just looking at yates offer list in high school and what he is seeing now in the portal really shows that.

ultimately its a loss either way, so i guess this whole conversation is kinda pointless but i just dont buy the idea of people saying our players gave up or looked checked out. i think the injuries to starters were just far too much to overcome to even make the games look competitive

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I have trouble throwing Yates under the bus when he and Sims got virtually no coaching. I think everyone agrees that getting a new quarterback coach was a necessity if we ever want to improve our win/loss record.

Still doesn’t explain why TEAM play was so much better earlier in the season and non-existent by the end.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think most people expected more from us. A few people on this site even thought Notre Dame was ripe for an upset.
Agree. I had a handful of friends and fans say the same thing to me. I wasn’t optimistic on the upset because I was really down on our ability to close out games. The sourness of the BC game was still fresh...
I don’t think it had much to do with ND being ripe for upset as much as we were desperate for a win and pretty much knew this was the last shot. we had shown the ability to put together 2-3 quarters of football and I think everyone was starting to feel like maybe we could put together 4 decent to good ones and have a chance. No one was predicting that for UGA, so it just had to be the ND game, right? Maybe they would overlook us just a little to boot, right?
Looking back, ND was really good and basically had EVERYTHING to play for. They were just outside the top 4 and needed every style point they could muster along with a little luck. They were going to be ready to play and the confidence in GT was wishful thinking as much as anything.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I don’t understand throwing Yates under the bus and giving Sims a pass. At one point last season there were lots of fans wanting Yates to start over Sims. Not that I think they were correct but it shows just how poorly Sims was playing and how poorly our QBs were coached last year. Both should have made progress but actually seemed to lose ground.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
GT has History. Atlanta. World Class Education. They need to compete for the Coastal. I will hold my breath this year. Personally, Im not impressed w The Temple Coach. But that's just my opinion. You know what that's like ;). Everybody has one... I pull for GT because I have a understanding of the academic challenge the players have and most are High Character guys. The ones who struggle now have a easy exit. They used to just have to leave and act like it was their decision. Now they can just slide into the portal.
It's like a belly button, right?