2022 Schedule??

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
maybe. Personally, I don’t think we’re seeing the beginning of the demise for Clemson and I don’t think we’re seeing the start of consistent 9-10 win teams out of Ole Miss.
No objection that UGA looks like the only legit top 5 team on our schedule, but I expect Clemson to look more like the Clemson of recent. They were still a 10-3 team last year and two of those losses were to a very good Pitt team and an excellent UGA team. They might be top5 when it’s all said and done. We benefitted from getting possibly their worst performance of the season... I don’t expect to get that again.
I expect a bit of regression from Ole Miss so hopefully that is an opportunity for an early statement / confidence win but obviously they showed the ability for some solid football last year.
As I see it;
Not winnable: UGA (pains me to say)
Little chance: Clemson
Better chance, big upset: Ole Miss, Pitt. These are two similar teams... both are losing stellar QB play but obviously have a lot of great pieces in place. Neither has been a consistent 9-10 game winner and I think both are equally likely to regress to 6 wins or crank out 10 win seasons. I’d love to get Ole Miss... this will look like a monster win and be a huge confidence builder even if Ole Miss doesn’t look impressive down the stretch.
Coin flip: FSU,Miami, UVA, VT, UNC, UCF. We should be competitive in all of these. Many of these teams have staff changes if not entirely new staff. This group is where we make or break this season.
Wins (not that I’m taking for granted): Duke, W Carolina
And one point you made that I can’t agree with more or emphasize enough... WHO we are playing is really the least of our concerns right now, and that’s the scary part.

You remember Clemson pre-Venables? His impact has probably been the greatest of any coach i can ever remember. Maybe greater than Saban. I’m sorry, i just don’t see Wes Goodwin replicating that type of elite defense.

Same with Pitt. I personally believe last season was anomaly with Whipple. You just don’t see guys going from avg 13TDs to 45 in their 6th season. Now Whipple is gone. I’m not as high on Slovis as others. I could be wrong

I say all that to say, if CGC wants to save his job. He has the schedule to do so

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Since w are near the bottom in spending in acc , our schedule is always hard.
But to find common ground i will agree our schedule is not nearly as hard as last year.

Last year our mantra was this is the year that our best players on defense were 1,2,3 and they were finally going to shutdown the passing. NFL here we come. Well we totally sucked with deep coversge. What really sucked is we ran into some serious quarterbacks that made us look terrible.

6 qbs were in top 30.
(Uga 3 , Pitt 9, Mia 11, Unc 21, Uva 23, Nd 27)
They passed for 21,000 yds last year - thats an average of 290 yds per game. When they played gt only Unc had a lower than average. game. There ol s manhandled us - they racked up huge yardage on us while we averaged around 200 yds per game.

(So ND is off the schedule but they are replaced by ole miss who could have a solid transfer guy from USC. Thats way easier.

Adding FSU as an away game will likely be a tougher win than BC.

Of the 5 remaining very good qbs we faced from last year only 2 are back. Assuming we moderately improve the ol and qb play plus these 3 teams revert to the mean, we have a good chance against them. Clearly easier.

There are numerous coaching changes by our opponents so we are not alone in coaching turmoil. Thats a big help.

Last year we played a bunch of teams that were way better than their average. We were embarrased.

We are getting more maturity and our opponents are not as strong , so we need to make a big jump.
I agree that we played some good QB’s last year. And our coaching staff had no answer. After what Pitt did to us to end the 2020 season our coaching staff had all off season to fix it. And as you point out we didn’t. We’ve been getting our teeth kicked in by QB’s for 3 years. We couldn’t stop Citadel‘s backup QB. We couldn’t stop Rocky Lombardi, and we haven’t stopped an ACC or UGA QB yet. Obviously, as a fan we all hold out hope so we’ll see. But, I just don‘t believe that Collins wouldn’t have fixed it by now if he knew how to fix it. Who would wait until he is almost fired to fix something fixable. Again, I simply look at Pitt. They whipped us in December 2020 and again in October 2021. So in 11 months our coach did nothing that effected anything in regards to Pittsburgh. I accept losing ball games, but we just spent a season looking like a team that doesn’t even practice or care.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I agree that we played some good QB’s last year. And our coaching staff had no answer. After what Pitt did to us to end the 2020 season our coaching staff had all off season to fix it. And as you point out we didn’t. We’ve been getting our teeth kicked in by QB’s for 3 years. We couldn’t stop Citadel‘s backup QB. We couldn’t stop Rocky Lombardi, and we haven’t stopped an ACC or UGA QB yet. Obviously, as a fan we all hold out hope so we’ll see. But, I just don‘t believe that Collins wouldn’t have fixed it by now if he knew how to fix it. Who would wait until he is almost fired to fix something fixable. Again, I simply look at Pitt. They whipped us in December 2020 and again in October 2021. So in 11 months our coach did nothing that effected anything in regards to Pittsburgh. I accept losing ball games, but we just spent a season looking like a team that doesn’t even practice or care.

Hyperbole strong here

CEB

Helluva Engineer
You remember Clemson pre-Venables? His impact has probably been the greatest of any coach i can ever remember. Maybe greater than Saban. I’m sorry, i just don’t see Wes Goodwin replicating that type of elite defense.

Same with Pitt. I personally believe last season was anomaly with Whipple. You just don’t see guys going from avg 13TDs to 45 in their 6th season. Now Whipple is gone. I’m not as high on Slovis as others. I could be wrong

I say all that to say, if CGC wants to save his job. He has the schedule to do so
I REALLY hope your right about Clemson / Venables. You could certainly be right about Pitt. I think they and Ole Miss both have the potential to regress to the norm this year. Pitt could already be exposed by the time we face them but the Ole Miss game could be huge for us. Ideally we get a huge win over a really solid team, but I would take a big upset win early that doesn’t look like as much of an upset in November. We need some confidence.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Pitt will have an NFL QB, a super star WR, and they are adding a solid 2nd/3rd WR in Mumpfield. They return all of their running backs. It seems unlikely they will fall that much on offense unless their OL falls apart. Ole Miss is still up in the air, but if they get Dart and Trigg then they are probably going to be tough to handle as well. The portal has made it fairly easy for these teams to reload at QB.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Pitt will have an NFL QB, a super star WR, and they are adding a solid 2nd/3rd WR in Mumpfield. They return all of their running backs. It seems unlikely they will fall that much on offense unless their OL falls apart. Ole Miss is still up in the air, but if they get Dart and Trigg then they are probably going to be tough to handle as well. The portal has made it fairly easy for these teams to reload at QB.

I guess Sims is an NFL QB as well bc his QB passer rating was better than Slovis

JacketOff2

Banned
Slovis an NFL QB? He’s gotten worse every year and lost his starting job last year. He had a worse passer rating than Jeff Sims did last year. Best case scenario is he is an above average ACC QB, which might get him an UDFA look in the NFL? Pickett just turned in a performance as good as Trevor Lawrence who went 1-1. Pitt will absolutely take a noticeable hit on offense unless Slovis really takes a major jump.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I guess Sims is an NFL QB as well bc his QB passer rating was better than Slovis
Scouts projected Slovis as a 3rd or 4th rounder if he came out this year. Before this season he was projected as a 1st rounder by almost everyone. I guess he could fall apart completely and not bounce back from injury well, but yes, right now it appears that he is still headed to the NFL.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Scouts projected Slovis as a 3rd or 4th rounder if he came out this year. Before this season he was projected as a 1st rounder by almost everyone. I guess he could fall apart completely and not bounce back from injury well, but yes, right now it appears that he is still headed to the NFL.

Link that please sir.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Link that please sir.
Link to what?

That he was projected at one point to be a first rounder? (actually projected to be #2 overall pick by some)

Or that he was still projected to be drafted?

These took me about a minute to find. It's really not that hard to google for NFL draft projections. Im not really sure why you have such an axe to grind with Slovis. It's a bit strange but it's pretty hard to say he isn't currently a legitimate NFL prospect even after his injuries.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Axe to grind? Man what? This board gets weirder and weirder by the day. You made the statements about Slovis. Why should i have to verify your statements? I just asked for link to the projections

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I dont see 3 wins... I hope im wrong. Western Carolina is a win. Thats the only team on our schedule, maybe besides Duke, where we will be favored. Maybe UCF ? That is where this program is. Year 4.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
By the reaction on here, you would’ve thought we lost every game by 50.
well... only ND beat GT by more than 50 points. UGA was 45 to 0. GT is at a low point. Losing to non power 5 teams. GT is not competitive. Im pulling for GT. But its not a good product right now. Its BAD. GT got beat 55-0 and 45-0 the last two games of the season.

Last edited:

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
well... only ND beat GT by more than 50 points. UGA was 45 to 0. GT is at a low point. Losing to non power 5 teams. GT is not competitive. Im pulling for GT. But its not a good product right now. Its BAD. GT got beat 55-0 and 45-0 the last two games of the season.

Yeah, with its backup QB and six other starters missing. Oh & that was vs. the National Champs who was giving up 7ppg and NY6 opponent but no need for context.

Again, past results doesn’t indicate the future. One year you can be a 11 win team and 3 win team the next or 3 win team then a 9 win team following year

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Since w are near the bottom in spending in acc , our schedule is always hard.
But to find common ground i will agree our schedule is not nearly as hard as last year.

Last year our mantra was this is the year that our best players on defense were 1,2,3 and they were finally going to shutdown the passing. NFL here we come. Well we totally sucked with deep coversge. What really sucked is we ran into some serious quarterbacks that made us look terrible.

6 qbs were in top 30.
(Uga 3 , Pitt 9, Mia 11, Unc 21, Uva 23, Nd 27)
They passed for 21,000 yds last year - thats an average of 290 yds per game. When they played gt only Unc had a lower than average. game. There ol s manhandled us - they racked up huge yardage on us while we averaged around 200 yds per game.

(So ND is off the schedule but they are replaced by ole miss who could have a solid transfer guy from USC. Thats way easier.

Adding FSU as an away game will likely be a tougher win than BC.

Of the 5 remaining very good qbs we faced from last year only 2 are back. Assuming we moderately improve the ol and qb play plus these 3 teams revert to the mean, we have a good chance against them. Clearly easier.

There are numerous coaching changes by our opponents so we are not alone in coaching turmoil. Thats a big help.

Last year we played a bunch of teams that were way better than their average. We were embarrased.

We are getting more maturity and our opponents are not as strong , so we need to make a big jump.
I’m worried that they start 1-3 and then can’t recover- the negativity will be too much to overcome. Better start at least 2-2.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims passing rating would be even higher if he could play against his own defense LOL Unfortunately for him he does not get a stat -padding game like that ( like the rest of the Coastal QBs get)

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, with its backup QB and six other starters missing. Oh & that was vs. the National Champs who was giving up 7ppg and NY6 opponent but no need for context.

Again, past results doesn’t indicate the future. One year you can be a 11 win team and 3 win team the next or 3 win team then a 9 win team following year
Hopefully your right and GT will win 9 games next year. your the one who said fans were acting like GT got beat by 50 points. GT did. When did it become a excuse to get beat by UGA 45-0? Natl champ or not, GT is a power 5 ACC program. I played at UGA, we respected GT and knew it was going to be a battle. I know you played. You have a lot of knowledge and I enjoy your post. GT is in a BAD place. Sad really.

JacketOff2

Banned
Georgia beat Vandy 62-0, Arkansas 37-0, Florida 34-7, Missouri 43-6, and absolutely wiped the floor with B1G Champ and the #2 team in the country in Michigan. None of those games were against a team who had no hopes of playing in a bowl game with their starting QB and RB out. If you want to look at games and where Tech stands let’s look at the VT, UVA, and Pitt games. Not the one against the national champ who destroyed literally everyone they played except Alabama.

Everyone said at the beginning of the year they just wanted the team to be competitive. Well guess what, we were competitive with every team on our schedule except the 3 that played in NY6 bowls. The record is bad, and the NIU debacle should’ve never happened, but team Tech played that people said in the preseason we should be competitive with we were. This year the wins have to come to fruition, and I believe they will. Even with a historically bad defense we could’ve won 6 games last year. Clean that side of the ball up and get Sims a clean pocket and a little more developed and there’s still a lot of potential here.