2022 MLB Draft

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
A 10th rounder coming back for a senior year and going in rounds 3-9 is literally worst case scenario money wise. Those are prime spots for teams to take seniors drastically under slot value to save money in their pools. A junior who goes in the 10th will probably get ~$150k. A senior who isn’t a first rounder or a high second rounder will struggle to get more than $50k. A lot of those guys sign for $25k or less. Coming back for a senior year could cost you $100k or more, and the ability to make more money as a senior than a junior is pretty unlikely. Best case scenario most of the time is that you get the same offer as a senior that you did as a junior.

As far as the degree goes, MLB pays for you to go back to school and finish your degree once your baseball career is over. So for guys who aren’t getting 100% of their tuition covered via baseball and/or athletic money will save more money on school by leaving and coming back to finish later. There is virtually no reason to ever come back for a senior year in baseball unless your family is already loaded. No matter how much you increase your draft stock in your senior year you lose all leverage, and teams know that. They’ll draft you and offer you $20k and your choices are either accept it or hang up the spikes.

For reference, Jake Mangum went back to Miss. State because he wanted to be the SEC’s all time hits leader in 2019. He set the record and was drafted in the 4th round. His slot value was $487,000. He signed for $20,000. Was $460k worth his senior year of college? Only he can tell you that. But there’s a hell of a lot of people that could do a lot of good things with $460k.
Boom great analysis! Btw Mangum is in triple A already lol

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If you can detach yourself from the individual player (I "almost" can)... this is all good for Ga Tech baseball. Tough decisions & hard conversions with each player... but lots to "sell" to get great players (HS or transfers) to the Flats.

On the other hand, if you told me in 12 months... Roedig and/or Bartnicki had made themselves top MLB picks.... I'd sign up for that with the quickness.

Bottom line... I want Ga Tech to win.

I hope every player coming through is given every opportunity to maximize his stock.
Another great point Fred. Coming back doesn’t always go so well.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
You can finish your degree at Tech with room board and tuition being paid 100 percent by the MLB continuing Education Fund.
Any idea what percentage of players take advantage of that? For a lot of guys after bouncing around the minors for 5 or 6 years or longer going back to school for a year or two to get your degree isn't as easy as it sounds. Especially when you have to endure the rigors of Tech. After several years many have families to support and while MLB pays for the schooling does it pay a salary to feed your family while you attend school? I guess my point is after the years go by often times life gets in the way and going back to school isn't always easy or even possible. Whereas, if you already have the degree in your pocket before you seek your baseball future it is much easier to find another career path.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Any idea what percentage of players take advantage of that? For a lot of guys after bouncing around the minors for 5 or 6 years or longer going back to school for a year or two to get your degree isn't as easy as it sounds. Especially when you have to endure the rigors of Tech. After several years many have families to support and while MLB pays for the schooling does it pay a salary to feed your family while you attend school? I guess my point is after the years go by often times life gets in the way and going back to school isn't always easy or even possible. Whereas, if you already have the degree in your pocket before you seek your baseball future it is much easier to find another career path.
I’m not sure of the numbers at all. What I do know is at 11.7 scholarships, the player returns to school with everything paid 100 percent. Most baseball players on scholarship do not come close to a 100 percent scholarship. For an out of state student the value of such a benefit can exceed 100k. Lastly, I’d like to think of the Tech student as somewhat different from the average D1 student athlete, as the Tech student is of above-average intelligence and chose Tech as part of their ”40 year plan” and will eventually receive their degree. In other words, it’s what the Tech student does. Hope that made sense.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Coming back to get your degree sounds good in theory, but just look at how long it took Teixiera to finish. 20 years? Now granted he was having a long playing career in MLB during a lot of that time, but he made the comment on how difficult it was because you had finish on campus, not taking remote classes, etc. It would be interesting at Tech to see the numbers of how many in the last 15 years that left after their junior year to be drafted ever came back and got a degree. 50%?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Off the top of my head: Dusty Isaacs, Connor Justus, Deck McGuire, Kyle Wren, Josh Heddinger, Ryan Peurifoy, Matthew Gorst, and Zane Evans have all went back to get their degrees. And those are guys who were drafted since 2013. I’m sure there’s some others who have went back to finish, and a lot of guys who have been drafted since then are still playing.

Trust me, there is zero advantage to staying for a senior year unless your family is already loaded and money isn’t an issue.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Off the top of my head: Dusty Isaacs, Connor Justus, Deck McGuire, Kyle Wren, Josh Heddinger, Ryan Peurifoy, Matthew Gorst, and Zane Evans have all went back to get their degrees. And those are guys who were drafted since 2013. I’m sure there’s some others who have went back to finish, and a lot of guys who have been drafted since then are still playing.

Trust me, there is zero advantage to staying for a senior year unless your family is already loaded and money isn’t an issue.

This is a great illustration!

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Speaking as a parent of an athlete that was on full scholarship but left school before completing his degree I can tell you he 100% regrets that choice and wishes he had stayed and completed his degree. He didn't go to Tech but still wishes he had that degree in his back pocket before moving on.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
But what about their “junior” year…they’re Covid “juniors” and seniors academically so best of both worlds if they can get their degree with 1 yr of baseball eligibility left too. Still leverage? They’re just paying the age “tax.”

Also small %age make it to the show and you won’t make a living in the minors so the degree in hand would be an advantage once done with baseball or it’s done with you…

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
But what about their “junior” year…they’re Covid “juniors” and seniors academically so best of both worlds if they can get their degree with 1 yr of baseball eligibility left too. Still leverage? They’re just paying the age “tax.”

Also small %age make it to the show and you won’t make a living in the minors so the degree in hand would be an advantage once done with baseball or it’s done with you…
Caveat is that you cannot overplay that leverage because the next year you have zero leverage. You pay both the age tax and I have nowhere else to go no eligibility you own my rights for a year tax lol

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Jeff Rowland played CF for the jackets right before Kyle Wrenn. He went to the minors for about 2-3 years, came back and finished and is doing well with his wife and two kids.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I had to drop out during my junior year and got drafted (Vietnam era). I was an AE. Came back after 4 years in the Navy. Changed to EE. That first couple of quarters back were really really tough. I can attest to the fact it isn't easy to stay out of school that long and come back to finish. The advantage is being older and more focused on school. It becomes more like a job.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Let's go boys!!
Updated 6/29
1656979449152.png

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Only five 5 on this list. Let’s play the over/under game. The number of total drafted players from G/T in this year’s draft is seven 7. You can choose over under or seven on the number. I’m going with the OVER. What does everyone think?
I'll go with over too.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
ohhhh top 500 on BA (would love to get that data if someone can copy/paste into Excel)