2021 Preseason Thread

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I really like Burton. He seems like a guy I would like to have a beer with. And WTF is up with the drilling? Sounds like a guy is driving screws the whole damn interview. Oof

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I wonder if it is important for them to have eyeballs on these interviews? I rarely watch them as the process of trying to figure out the question and what the interviewee is speaking to is to taxing for me. So I skip them. I wonder again if that is important to anyone in the GTAA for any reason? (serious question btw).

If they want to increase eyeballs on these things, a $10 investment in a microphone would provide enormous ROI.
I believe these used to be called press conferences. They are primarily to help journalists write their stories.

I don’t think they are that important to us remote viewers. We only get to see them now thanks to the internet and YouTube.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I believe these used to be called press conferences. They are primarily to help journalists write their stories.

I don’t think they are that important to us remote viewers. We only get to see them now thanks to the internet and YouTube.

You are probably 100% correct. I do have to wonder if there would be any motivation (i.e. $) for them to improve the quality of these events (i.e. microphones so listener could hear and understand the questions) to increase number of views. As I said, this simple change would cause me to start clicking on them and I wonder if there might be a significant number of us who feel similar. As i said, the microphone could not be more than a few bucks at Radio Shack or its modern day equivalent.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Re: microphone, I can say with 100% certainty that at many pressers that I've attended, the mic is being used. As silly as it sounds, I think the issue in the past was whether a) the mic was turned on, or b) the mic was sync'd with technology. Those aren't better problems to still be having, but at least I can state definitively that the issue is not "lack of mic".

Further, the audio issues were resolved for many seasons of late and haven't been an issue again until recently. I wonder, not having the time to attend pressers over the last year, whether Covid has prevented them from using a mic. Are we intentionally avoiding passing around a microphone? Is the press conference setting, where journalists are standing outside of the Brock center or Callaway plaza, intentionally set up in socially distanced areas not conducive to bring the necessary technology?

The 2nd paragraph still may not be a perfectly acceptable explanation, but I believe that the GTAA is aware. They are, after all, the same folks uploading the videos to YouTube.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The 2nd paragraph still may not be a perfectly acceptable explanation, but I believe that the GTAA is aware. They are, after all, the same folks uploading the videos to YouTube.
Thanks @CuseJacket for the update. I am still curious....do you think there is any reason or motivation on their part (real or perceived) for them to improve sound quality and possibly increase viewership?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks @CuseJacket for the update. I am still curious....do you think there is any reason or motivation on their part (real or perceived) for them to improve sound quality and possibly increase viewership?
Clearly per this thread, there is an audience > 0 who is choosing not to watch due to audio issues. But if your question is, do I think they'll capture a new frontier of watchers as a result of fixing the audio issues? No, I don't think so.

Go back to pressers from summer, spring or last fall. You'll see that the number of views over the last few weeks is fairly consistent with prior viewership.

Without actual data, my 2 cents is that these videos are primarily viewed by:
  1. Journalists
  2. Diehards, like many of us, who are mostly going to try to watch regardless
  3. GTAA, who will splice soundbites for Twitter and other social media, where there is a greater audience reach. Those soundbites rarely if ever include the question asked by reporters.
There's no one in my network of casual, season-ticket holding or single game ticket buying fans who watches these. And I doubt those less interested in GT Football are inclined to carve out time to do the same.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Re: microphone, I can say with 100% certainty that at many pressers that I've attended, the mic is being used. As silly as it sounds, I think the issue in the past was whether a) the mic was turned on, or b) the mic was sync'd with technology. Those aren't better problems to still be having, but at least I can state definitively that the issue is not "lack of mic".

Further, the audio issues were resolved for many seasons of late and haven't been an issue again until recently. I wonder, not having the time to attend pressers over the last year, whether Covid has prevented them from using a mic. Are we intentionally avoiding passing around a microphone? Is the press conference setting, where journalists are standing outside of the Brock center or Callaway plaza, intentionally set up in socially distanced areas not conducive to bring the necessary technology?

If the intention is to have a microphone for the questions, no explanation is "acceptable". How hard is it to test audio before a press conference? How hard is it to have a process with a check sheet including microphone on, charged/battery ok, and audit those sheets to ensure process is working? How many times does it have to be a problem before someone recognizes that need?

I get the COVID / mic pass thing, although I'm not sure having a staffer sanitize between questions or operate a boom microphone is too much of an expense for these things to justify the lack of audio.

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Clearly per this thread, there is an audience > 0 who is choosing not to watch due to audio issues. But if your question is, do I think they'll capture a new frontier of watchers as a result of fixing the audio issues? No, I don't think so.

Go back to pressers from summer, spring or last fall. You'll see that the number of views over the last few weeks is fairly consistent with prior viewership.

Without actual data, my 2 cents is that these videos are primarily viewed by:
  1. Journalists
  2. Diehards, like many of us, who are mostly going to try to watch regardless
  3. GTAA, who will splice soundbites for Twitter and other social media, where there is a greater audience reach. Those soundbites rarely if ever include the question asked by reporters.
There's no one in my network of casual, season-ticket holding or single game ticket buying fans who watches these. And I doubt those less interested in GT Football are inclined to carve out time to do the same.
Well I watch them and I am important!! :)

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Most fans don't know the lyrics to Up with the White and Gold.
Why should they? Our team color is navy blue...;)

Oh well it's up with the Navy Blue,​
And down with the White and Gold,
Georgia Tech is out for a branding change.
We'll fix our color scheme so we look cool,
When we meet you our team will surely be Blue.
Down on the old farm there will be no sound
Till our bow-wows rip through the air;
When the battle is over Georgia's team will be found​
With the Navy Jackets swarming around!​