2021 Preseason Thread

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
The theme across all of the interviews is focus and attention to detail. I am really hoping that translates to the field this year. I went back and rewatched a few games last year and there were many times we had really nice drives going only to have false starts and holding calls end them. I am hoping we return to being one the the least penalized teams in the country instead of the most penalized.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
The theme across all of the interviews is focus and attention to detail. I am really hoping that translates to the field this year. I went back and rewatched a few games last year and there were many times we had really nice drives going only to have false starts and holding calls end them. I am hoping we return to being one the the least penalized teams in the country instead of the most penalized.
Exactly, This season we we really need to see that coach Collins can translate all this attention to detail to results on the field. I'm really hoping we make it to a bowl this year.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

One of the interviews had the players estimating being called for 10 penalties during spring camp. That's pretty nuts, but it's clear the players at least independently made a commitment to execute at precisely as possible. That's how you get better. It's not just practice. You have to push yourself consistently.

What I like are the comments of the team being player led instead of relying on the coaches to bring the energy, intensity, and to direct attention to where its needed. CGC actually looked more relaxed than I have seen him during his interview.

Under CPJ, he made comments that he could tell when he had a good team because the players stepped up and led. That was the case in 2014 where he said we were being overlooked, and it wasn't the case in 2015 where he said we were overrated.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I love the energy , optimism and determination from the players. They all seemed to be focused and aware of what is expected this year....... and that is a noticeable step forward in the Won-Loss Record. I honestly believe we will go to a bowl this year and play much better overall. 2022 and beyond could really open some eyes. Start the season by shellacking a NIU program that is rebuilding and handily beating a KSU team that we should expect to.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
TL;DR:

1. Offensive guys know what they are doing so can go full speed, tag out without dropping off, etc.
2. Malachi and Sanders and McGowan are all doing well as expected, but the room is very deep with a lot of talent
3. It doesn't matter how good the receivers are if the line doesn't give the QB time and the QB doesn't deliver the ball properly
4. Jeff knows where to go with the ball; needs most work on touch passes, esp. back shoulder throws
5. Have to establish the run. Goal is to be able to move bodies and get a run going even if the box is stacked and they know it's coming. Then RPOs, etc. open up from there. *personally, I'm not a huge fan of this philosophy, but if we are able to run effectively against any front then look out
6. Trad Beatty is adding leadership to the room and pointing out things on the film that the young guys don't know to look for. He's big and has a big arm but needs a clean pocket. Runs fast but only in a straight line. No zone reads for him.
7. OL is cross-training some guys (e.g. Jordan Williams at RT and LG) both to build flexibility and to try and figure out who the top 5 are and get them on the field together; midway through camp they'll figure out the 5 who will start and roll with them as a unit
8. TC watches film of Alvin Kamara and tells Patenaude that Jahmyr's our Kamara