2021 Preseason Thread

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Pretty cool look at how the game views our players. I didn't watch the entire video but from what I saw they think pretty highly of Jahmyr Gibbs, Jeff Sims, and Ace Eley.

Losign because fo 2 turnovers while outgaining and gettin 24 first downs to 17, not bad but the AI makes some weird play calls (starting the game off with a direct snap read option) Who knew they modeled our play calling so well.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Keion White made this preseason list of 20 underrated NFL draft prospects. I saw elsewhere that he is likely to miss the first two games of the season due to his leg injury sustained earlier in the year, but I'm looking forward to seeing White, Harris, Clayton, and company blow by the Clemson OL like the Ohio State DL did last year. Fantasy? Perhaps, but that's what the preseason is all about.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Losign because fo 2 turnovers while outgaining and gettin 24 first downs to 17, not bad but the AI makes some weird play calls (starting the game off with a direct snap read option) Who knew they modeled our play calling so well.

Glad that was not real. Not enough running plays. Too many passes, especially in short yardage to go. Too many plays with empty backfields. Nothing from Mason or Dante. Good likeness for our weakness in the red zone. Good recognition for our open field tackling.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Lets play!!! Wow! Offense sounds ready but is the defense something to worry about? Good to get some info on Wing Green finally.

Mentioned only 6 play calls. Probably also had specific field position and down/distance situations to start drives. Not likely a lot can be drawn from the stats.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck

Does anyone have a good resource for comparison of the catapult speed numbers?
I've seen where 19 mph is considered fast, and world class 100m sprinter (Usain Bolt) is about 24 mph....so 22 mph should be Deion Sanders speed?
And if we have that many people above 20 mph....we should be FAST right? or do all the other teams have that kind of speed too?

slugboy

Staff member
Does anyone have a good resource for comparison of the catapult speed numbers?
I've seen where 19 mph is considered fast, and world class 100m sprinter (Usain Bolt) is about 24 mph....so 22 mph should be Deion Sanders speed?
And if we have that many people above 20 mph....we should be FAST right? or do all the other teams have that kind of speed too?

This article has Bolt at about 28 mph, FloJo at 22 mph, and a theoretical human at 40 mph

If you take a 100 meter race and multiply by (distance in m/time in s)* 2.237, that gives mph.

Here are some NCAA track numbers from 2017:

Top was 9.82 sec, and 10th was 10.11 sec. That’s 22.37 mph for first and 22.13 mph for tenth. So, if they’re equivalent times, Nate McCollum would have won the NCAA D1 championship. (whoops, Nate’s not in the top 10) (Our times might be 40 times, though).

Those are flying straightaway speeds. I’m sure Miami and Clemson and Alabama (etc.) get times like that, too. To be a Deion Sanders or an Ed Reed, you need speed and shiftiness in almost any direction, and I don’t know how you put that on a stopwatch. Reed could do this “stanky leg” thing at near full speed and leave you holding air instead of tackling him.

ETA:
Footspeed (Wikipedia, with Bolt’s top speed)
Randall Munroe (xkcd) and the New York Times on max human speed

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CGC is always positive about everything so you have to take performances with a grain of salt, but there are some numbers he quoted from some of our guys that makes you really excited. Can't get into specifics because it's behind a paywall, but a few things:

-RBs are even DEEPER than we thought. Sounds like if Gibbs needs to come out, there will be another "forgotten" 4 star RB who can contribute as an all purpose back.
-Anyone who thought Trad Beatty came to GT to hold a clipboard and help coach the QBs probably needs to rethink that.
-Sims is putting it together in the air and on the ground. Sounds like he's mastering off the field stuff expected from QBs and it's translating to the field.
-2 Freshmen OLs are REALLY good. Brent key mentioned them both in his presser so I can talk about them a bit. Weston Franklin, who most of us tabbed to be a future OL star in his recruiting thread, is living up that reputation. Running with the 1st string and holding his own. Jakiah Leftwich looking good as well...the way CGC makes it sound, he could be the breakout player of camp so far.
-Several freshmen defenders have flashed and played very well.
-LBs are making plays. Transfer Eley is going to be a monster for us...or so CGC alludes. We'll see.
-Will we finally have a good kicking game?!! From CGC, sounds like the transfer kicker will be the answer, but holdover Kelley is also kicking well. Game days will be the real test.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
CGC is always positive about everything so you have to take performances with a grain of salt, but there are some numbers he quoted from some of our guys that makes you really excited. Can't get into specifics because it's behind a paywall, but a few things:

-RBs are even DEEPER than we thought. Sounds like if Gibbs needs to come out, there will be another "forgotten" 4 star RB who can contribute as an all purpose back.
-Anyone who thought Trad Beatty came to GT to hold a clipboard and help coach the QBs probably needs to rethink that.
-Sims is putting it together in the air and on the ground. Sounds like he's mastering off the field stuff expected from QBs and it's translating to the field.
-2 Freshmen OLs are REALLY good. Brent key mentioned them both in his presser so I can talk about them a bit. Weston Franklin, who most of us tabbed to be a future OL star in his recruiting thread, is living up that reputation. Running with the 1st string and holding his own. Jakiah Leftwich looking good as well...the way CGC makes it sound, he could be the breakout player of camp so far.
-LBs are making plays. Transfer Eley is going to be a monster for us...or so CGC alludes. We'll see.
-Will we finally have a good kicking game?!! From CGC, sounds like the transfer kicker will be the answer, but holdover Kelley is also kicking well. Game days will be the real test.
This excites me tremendously.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Maybe just maybe ................ no don't get your hopes up this early stech