2021 ACC Baseball

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
If you listen to their podcast from last week, the following question was also raised: If I tell you that there will be 10 ACC teams in the tournament, name the 4 that get left out. They all seemed to waiver in answering the question or had little conviction in their answers. If I recall, Florida State was mentioned by multiple guys.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Weekend #3 of ACC action:

*Pitt (4-2) at *Ga Tech (5-1) - Go Jackets!!
FSU (2-4) at *Va Tech (4-2)
Wake (1-2) at *Miami (3-3)
Clemson (1-2) at *UNC (3-3)
ND (4-2) at *UVA (2-4)
BC (2-1) at Louisville (1-2)
NC State (1-5) at *Duke (3-3) Game CANCELLED due to Covid in NC State program

*Coastal Div team

As for what needs to happen to help Ga Tech the most...
1) Ga Tech WIN, WIN, WIN
2) Coastal teams lose (create separation in standings)
3) Relatively minor; but Louisville rebound and win.. at this point we own tiebreaker v Louisville and NCST should we end up tied in overall standings at end of regular season.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Weekend #3 of ACC action:

*Pitt (4-2) at *Ga Tech (5-1) - Go Jackets!!
FSU (2-4) at *Va Tech (4-2)
Wake (1-2) at *Miami (3-3)
Clemson (1-2) at *UNC (3-3)
ND (4-2) at *UVA (2-4)
BC (2-1) at Louisville (1-2)
NC State (1-5) at *Duke (3-3) Game CANCELLED due to Covid in NC State program

*Coastal Div team

As for what needs to happen to help Ga Tech the most...
1) Ga Tech WIN, WIN, WIN
2) Coastal teams lose (create separation in standings)
3) Relatively minor; but Louisville rebound and win.. at this point we own tiebreaker v Louisville and NCST should we end up tied in overall standings at end of regular season.

Does Coastal vs Atlantic really matter? Isn’t the ACC champ just determined by overall best conference record?

I honestly forget the ACCT format. It’s been so long and I feel like theyve changed it a few times recently. Either way I always thought the regular season title is a lot more prestigious in college baseball.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Does Coastal vs Atlantic really matter? Isn’t the ACC champ just determined by overall best conference record?

I honestly forget the ACCT format. It’s been so long and I feel like theyve changed it a few times recently. Either way I always thought the regular season title is a lot more prestigious in college baseball.

Yes... conference standings are based on overall record. For ACCT, Top 2 seeds are division winners. So theoretically... the 3rd seed could have a better record than 2nd seed. IF division winners have same record... head to head would break tie to determine #1 seed. Also, I think the #1 seed gets to pick "off" day(s) during the tournament week.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
More generous than I expected too. Kind of hard not to have Pitt above us since they took the series @GT and have the same ACC record as we do. But rankings don't matter if we don't fix fielding and pitching. It's a long season and we are about 1/4 done.

We may not see baseball this week with Ga Southern with the weather.

Anyone heard about Wake's COVID situation? The series may still be on after the Sunday @Miami COVID cancellation. At least it still shows on the Wake website https://godeacs.com/sports/baseball/schedule/2021. Plus the wake game against Charlotte is still on tomorrow @ 4PM; that will be a canary in the coal mine.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
More generous than I expected too. Kind of hard not to have Pitt above us since they took the series @GT and have the same ACC record as we do. But rankings don't matter if we don't fix fielding and pitching. It's a long season and we are about 1/4 done.

Anyone heard about Wake's COVID situation? The series may still be on after the Sunday @Miami COVID cancellation. At least it still shows on the Wake website https://godeacs.com/sports/baseball/schedule/2021. Plus the wake game against Charlotte is still on tomorrow @ 4PM; that will be a canary in the coal mine.
My sense is Wake's covid problem peaked 2 weekends ago & the Miami cancelation had to do with a roster still not at full strength (pitchers mainly). So... assuming no new cases, should be fine by this weekend. & you're right, the Charlotte game tomorrow (still on) is a good sign.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Looks like we hung on at #12 at D1. More generous than I would have been. :-(

Bad weekend vs Pitt. Used to that, as I usually travel to Pitt from Cincinnati to see us lose on their carpet. At home this year, but should have won game 1. Then we have the series. Game 3 was a pitching/fielding disaster. (So was inning 9 of game 1, by the way...)

Still have series wins at NC State, and vs. Louisville, who are really good teams. Pitt is a better team than we'd like to think they are, and they took advantage of our mistakes to beat us. Just need to tighten up and beat Wake next weekend.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
From D1 chat yesterday:
1615898120557.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My sense is Wake's covid problem peaked 2 weekends ago & the Miami cancelation had to do with a roster still not at full strength (pitchers mainly). So... assuming no new cases, should be fine by this weekend. & you're right, the Charlotte game tomorrow (still on) is a good sign.

Wake beating Charlotte 2-1 as I type. I assume they are playing and our series is on for this weekend.

Update: **** L'Ville tied with EKU 2-2. I thought L'Ville was top 10? (tic)

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Weekend #4 of ACC action:
*Ga Tech (6-3) at Wake (1-4): GO JACKETS!!! Win them all... one at a time.
*Pitt (6-3) at *UVA (2-7): Go Wahoos! Would like to see UVA take at least 2. [Note: this series is now Sat/Sun/Mon]
*UNC (6-3) at BC (2-4): Go BC!
FSU (4-5) at *Miami (5-3): Go Noles!
*VT (5-4) at Clemson (1-5): IPTAY all the way!
*Duke (3-3) at ND (7-2): Some sort of split, I suppose.
Louisville (4-2) at NC State (1-5): Some sort of split, I suppose.

Generally...(without knowing future outcomes), need/want teams at top to lose giving Ga Tech space to separate.

Mid-week, the ACC went 7-3 with some outstanding wins (FSU over Florida) and some ranked teams losing: EKU over Louisville, UNCG over VT.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Weekend #4 of ACC action:
*Ga Tech (6-3) at Wake (1-4): GO JACKETS!!! Win them all... one at a time.:love::buzz::buzz::buzz: Get into their bullpen early and often. No errors or WPs.
*Pitt (6-3) at *UVA (2-7): Go Wahoos! Would like to see UVA take at least 2. [Note: this series is now Sat/Sun/Mon]:love: Got a Nor'easter coming through today. We like UVa and just for record equalization, want to see teams with bad ACC records do better. I predict 2-1 UVa.
*UNC (6-3) at BC (2-4): Go BC!:love: I predict 2-1 BC
FSU (4-5) at *Miami (5-3): Go Noles!:love: Yeah but I predict 2-1 Miami. Hope to be wrong.
*VT (5-4) at Clemson (1-5): IPTAY all the way!🦨 Don't like either team. I predict VT 2-1
*Duke (3-3) at ND (7-2): Some sort of split, I suppose.🦨 I don't like either team. ND 2-1.
Louisville (4-2) at NC State (1-5): Some sort of split, I suppose.:love: I like NC State but L'Ville 2-1. Too much L'Ville talent.

Generally...(without knowing future outcomes), need/want teams at top to lose giving Ga Tech space to separate.(y)

Mid-week, the ACC went 7-3 with some outstanding wins (FSU over Florida) and some ranked teams losing: EKU over Louisville, UNCG over VT.:) Makes our EKU loss look less bad. And always nice to see ACC over SEC.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tied for 4th in the ACC after Saturday's win. And a 47 rpi (too early to be reliable but still not good). Miami is going to drop a looooong ways after losing two to FSU by a score of 32-4 so far this weekend. Volatility anyone?

What's up with my two other favs, UVa and NC State?

Anytime ND and Pitt are leading the divisions, it's The World Turned Upside Down (I just played the song from Hamilton which is so good.)
1616332421436.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Remember D1 Baseball's projected standings?

Screenshot_20210321-094519_Chrome.jpg

Tied for 4th in the ACC after Saturday's win. And a 47 rpi (too early to be reliable but still not good). Miami is going to drop a looooong ways after losing two to FSU by a score of 32-4 so far this weekend. Volatility anyone?

What's up with my two other favs, UVa and NC State?

Anytime ND and Pitt are leading the divisions, it's The World Turned Upside Down (I just played the song from Hamilton which is so good.)
View attachment 10193