2021 ACC Baseball

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Looking over today's scores (D1Baseball):

#15 Tech sweeps #13 NC State!
#12 UVA beats UNC 3-2 to lose the series 1-2
#24 FSU up 7-5 in the 9th to try to avoid a sweep against Pitt at FSU...

ND beats #16 Wake Forest 10-0 to take the series at Wake
BC beats #25 Duke 5-2 to take the series at Duke
VT beats #6 Miami 9-6 to win the series at Miami

Have I missed anything other than Clemson and USCe battling at 7-7 after USCe took yesterday's game 3-2?
Looks like Pitt beat FSU 9-7 in 13 innings to sweep them at FSU. OK then....

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
In truth, I want to see another couple of weekends go into the books before I start making reservations in Omaha.

Maybe N C State was badly over-rated. Who knows how things will shake out.

What has me perplexed is that there used to be some ACC teams you could almost count on being 3 game sweeps. Mostly the northern teams. Now, Pitt is sweeping FSU, BC takes 2 of 3 from Duke, VPI&SU takes a series form Miami....what is tarnation are we to make of this year's ACC????? Is our really important series going to be against Pitt?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
In truth, I want to see another couple of weekends go into the books before I start making reservations in Omaha.

Maybe N C State was badly over-rated. Who knows how things will shake out.

What has me perplexed is that there used to be some ACC teams you could almost count on being 3 game sweeps. Mostly the northern teams. Now, Pitt is sweeping FSU, BC takes 2 of 3 from Duke, VPI&SU takes a series form Miami....what is tarnation are we to make of this year's ACC????? Is our really important series going to be against Pitt?
It just shows how important depth is in college baseball. While there aren’t very many 5th or 6th year seniors who took the extra year of eligibility, there are a ton of 4th year seniors who would’ve been drafted in a normal year that are back this year. Just look at Waddell and Hurter for example. No way those guys hang around for year 4 under normal circumstances. It’s a lot more noticeable this year with mid-majors and schools that aren’t traditional powerhouses because normally their recruiting isn’t good enough to compete with bigger programs when their best players leave. The powerhouses are able to “reload” while the smaller schools have to “rebuild.” More seniors staying around means less pieces smaller schools have to fill in. Could be an extremely chaotic year at the top for college baseball. Wouldn’t surprise me if 3+ non-tradition Omaha teams make it to CWS this year

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Those bothered by our ranking... NCST fell completely out of the rankings after going 0-4 last week. So... in a way you could say we're lying in the bed we made. We have not beaten a ranked team. ;)

So it doesn't work like SEC football? Credit to the winner for the big win, and credit to the "non-winner" for the quality loss?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Perused the UL board. Not a ton of talk about Tech yet but it seems they were missing a decent-sized group of players for various reasons last weekend. Didn’t seem to be any major names but that’s still a knock to your depth. Didn’t see anything about who would be available against us.

I will say that basically every poster laughed off being ranked number 1 in whatever random poll that put them up there. They don’t think they’re playing great right now and think we’ll be a good measuring stick for where they actually stand.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yawn about these early rankings; win and we'll be up there lose and we won't. Lots and lots of games to play. L'Ville didn't help us / the ACC with their loss yesterday to Morehead State.

What is of concern to me is the ACC going to 12 conference series and limiting the OOC games. With fewer OOC wins to help the winning percentage across the league and more parity in the ACC, the less rpi points available and less separation. Good D1 article here https://d1baseball.com/columns/on-the-mark-reality-sets-in-rpi-questions-remain/

Just win. The rest will take care of itself.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
19 LOB! You can only leave 27 max in a 9 inning game. That is absurd

Yeah their 247 board is frustrated with their level of play right now. Not much optimism coming down to Atlanta this weekend. Literally talking about how they need to make sure they take at least 1 in the series. As a consensus Top 5 team. Because “that Tech team can hit.”

Of course their staff is among the deepest and most talented in the country. And we haven’t really been in any tight, low-scoring games yet.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
D1B podcast this week talked about the ACC a good bit. Panelists generally agreed that the tiers in the ACC right now are:

Louisville
————
Tech
————
Everybody else

Had an interesting discussion about “If We assume the ACC 10 gets tourney bids at the end of the year, who’s getting left out?” Everybody had a pretty tough time picking teams. Do you leave Pitt out after a road sweep of FSU? VPI after a series win against Miami? Maybe FSU?!