2021 ACC Baseball

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yawn about these early rankings; win and we'll be up there lose and we won't. Lots and lots of games to play. L'Ville didn't help us / the ACC with their loss yesterday to Morehead State.

What is of concern to me is the ACC going to 12 conference series and limiting the OOC games. With fewer OOC wins to help the winning percentage across the league and more parity in the ACC, the less rpi points available and less separation. Good D1 article here https://d1baseball.com/columns/on-the-mark-reality-sets-in-rpi-questions-remain/

Just win. The rest will take care of itself.
D1B podcast this week talked about the ACC a good bit. Panelists generally agreed that the tiers in the ACC right now are:

Louisville
————
Tech
————
Everybody else

Had an interesting discussion about “If We assume the ACC 10 gets tourney bids at the end of the year, who’s getting left out?” Everybody had a pretty tough time picking teams. Do you leave Pitt out after a road sweep of FSU? VPI after a series win against Miami? Maybe FSU?!
The D1 article around the RPI thing... sort of "assumes" the RPI is the tool with a LOT of weight in the committee's decision process on post-season bids. I am not sure that is true (or not sure about how much weight).... and the committee "should" understand thoroughly... the problems inherent in the RPI calculations. Those problems have always existed and are exacerbated in 2021 (the article lays that out really well). I think what will happen this year (and maybe it has always happened) is P5s will benefit and mid-majors will be disadvantaged. The committee with sort of go with X number of SEC teams and X number of ACC teams... etc... "deserve" to be in the post-season with less emphasis on RPI.

Soooo.... where you place in the conference will be huge. I'm betting 1 or 2(max) ACC teams will be a top 8 (super regional) seed. ... and 2-3 more regional hosts (top 16)... then 5-6 more in the field (not hosting). So...yes, that D1 podcast lays it out. Unless something unexpected happens, expect 10 ACC teams to go.

For easy math, I'm willing to say 20 wins in the ACC (20-16) will be 'hosting a regional' territory. If you can get to 23-24 wins, I think Top 8 is possible. Obviously, there could be other factors to help/hurt; but the ACC record (including your ACC tournament performance) has to be the biggest factor in post-season placement.

For Ga Tech... games against UGA and Auburn will be very big mid-weekers. It hurts to say it and I won't be pulling for this because HEART > head ... but UGA and Auburn to doing well will mean our inevitable wins over them will mean that much more.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Believe BC and Auburn had a series get scheduled for this weekend as well. Not sure if I saw that on here or elsewhere. That’s an odd one as you want the ACC to win and get the RPI boost, but we don’t have BC in the schedule and do have Auburn.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Goes without saying... but ACC baseball weekend ahead will be fun to follow. All outcomes (at this point) are worth watching/noting as they relate to Ga Tech's standing.

Louisville at Ga Tech - GO JACKETS!! ...bust some ***!
Miami at NCST - Go Wolfpack. Need them to show they are a top team now that we swept them... plus bonus keep Miami at bay.
Pitt at Duke - No sweep either way here. Both Coastal teams. Pitt is 3-0 (I'm not a believer yet)...so, I'm good with them beating Duke no more than 2 times.
UNC at Va Tech - No sweeps again. Prefer Va Tech taking 2 here.
UVA at FSU - Need FSU to win 2 or more.
Notre Dame at Clemson - Atlantic matchup. I suppose no sweep lifts everyone in the long run.
BC at Auburn - NonConf series. We play Auburn; but not BC (in regular season). Not sure what needs to happen to help Ga Tech the most.
Wake - Home in Covid protocol.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
State up 3-2 at home against Miami B3 after b2b jacks. Gonzales for them already has 7 homers on the year.

Federman the Friday starter for Miami has gotten roughed up consistently already this year.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Not ACC, but #11 LSU has given up 20 runs through 4.0 innings to a 2-6 Oral Roberts team on a gd Friday. And the bases are still loaded with nobody out. Don’t think they’ll be hanging on to that ranking for too long.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
UVA making the media look pretty dumb so far. About to drop to 1-4 in conference. And their opponents (UNC/FSU) are 0-5 in their other conference games.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

This is the best one I’ve seen so far. Reward teams for winning weekend series and punish teams for losing them. LSU at 15 is my only real issue. Your Friday staff gave up 22 to Oral Roberts and went on to lose the series. Maybe fringe Top 25 deserving of you’re bullish on their ceiling.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
BC @ Auburn series had a crazy finish. Series tied 1-1 heading into Sunday. BC down 9-1 in the 9th with two on and 2 out. Rally to tie it up and win it 11-9 in 10. Linked the highlights starting T9.

Interesting strategy by auburn to bring in 'Haywood' from Major League to try and close it out.

1615217254422.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Atlantic Division sucking absolute wind right now. Pitt series is big - if we can win the series, we'll have an early commanding lead.

View attachment 10058
Perhaps will get worse before it gets better. This coming weekend schedule is a bit quirky. All FIVE of the inter-divisional series have the Coastal team (at home) hosting their Atlantic opponent.