2020 Baseball - Postseason

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ga Tech was to play Bowling Green 2 weekends ago.

Damn, we would have won that game.

Seriously ...... no not tonight. I've been multi-tasking an investment conference with work this week. We are just plain screwed economically and socially and culturally. But next year, we'll meet at the UVa series ..... where ever it is! :D Eat, drink and be merry.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Bowling Green and now Furman. More to come I'm afraid.
Univ of Cinn cut Men's soccer.

Hope Boise State keeps theirs. They just started up after 40 years....

slugboy

Staff member
That’s really stunning to see at a school like Furman. Sports like baseball can be a big deal at schools like Furman. I know they play football there (I was here when Curry was coach), but at a smaller, private school I’d be less surprised to see them drop football.

We’ve only seen a couple. Do we think enough schools will drop baseball that it disrupts conferences?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
That’s really stunning to see at a school like Furman. Sports like baseball can be a big deal at schools like Furman. I know they play football there (I was here when Curry was coach), but at a smaller, private school I’d be less surprised to see them drop football.

We’ve only seen a couple. Do we think enough schools will drop baseball that it disrupts conferences?

Unfortunately I think baseball probably becomes a sacrificial lamb for schools to cut. The primary reason is that it is one of the largest rosters and makes the most sense to cut in order to comply with Title IX. It also takes a good chunk out of an athletic program’s budget without providing much revenue. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the mid-major conferences have to combine in order to play full schedules next season.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Unfortunately I think baseball probably becomes a sacrificial lamb for schools to cut. The primary reason is that it is one of the largest rosters and makes the most sense to cut in order to comply with Title IX. It also takes a good chunk out of an athletic program’s budget without providing much revenue. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the mid-major conferences have to combine in order to play full schedules next season.

Unfortunately it's probably true. Those schools that have been barely getting by are going to have to start cutting and @JacketOff I think you're right. Larger roster, high equipment costs, specialized field all make it a likely target unless it's at least breaking even on its own.

Edited to add - the positive side is baseball is one of the easier sports to maintain physical distance for regular amounts of time. The players are spread out - the only two people on the field that stay close to each other for more than five minutes (on average) are the catcher and umpire and there are ways to deal with that. Sure, there are collisions and such but for the most part that's rare (compared to just about any of the other big sports). So for that reason it might be one of the sports that is saved/comes back quicker and that might give it a boost in popularity too.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Anybody heard any progress on this? What are odds we travel to LA in Feb?
Nothing official, although in correspondence with an underling of AD TStan-“travel will be cut back for most sports, as well as recruiting.” Isn’t the budget set on July 1st? This next fiscal year could have huge amendments, since the scientists fear Covid-20.
My company is fearing the special events we work that were postponed until late 2020 and 2021, will have to be reset again.