2020 Baseball - Postseason

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
AUGH!!!! All 4 classes get an extra year...
Seniors I understand, not anyone else.....BULL$HIT

Umm... I’m not quite sure I would call this decision bullsh*t. Everybody lost a season, not just seniors. Obviously it’s going to create some additional hassle for each individual school, but if the NCAA is truly about the student-athletes, this is the right decision. Given the way the MLB draft is heading, this is doubly so. Tech had 6 juniors get drafted last year, only 2 of them in the top 5 rounds. That means 4 other guys would have lost out on at least $100k. I’m not sure what your situation is, nor is it any of my business, but $100k can turn somebody’s life around. Prime example is Xzavion Curry. That’s just at Tech. There’s plenty of other schools and players that would’ve been in the same boat. MLB isn’t just going to start catering to seniors when they haven’t for decades. Do you really want guys to lose out on potentially life altering money for something they had no control over?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Umm... I’m not quite sure I would call this decision bullsh*t. Everybody lost a season, not just seniors. Obviously it’s going to create some additional hassle for each individual school, but if the NCAA is truly about the student-athletes, this is the right decision. Given the way the MLB draft is heading, this is doubly so. Tech had 6 juniors get drafted last year, only 2 of them in the top 5 rounds. That means 4 other guys would have lost out on at least $100k. I’m not sure what your situation is, nor is it any of my business, but $100k can turn somebody’s life around. Prime example is Xzavion Curry. That’s just at Tech. There’s plenty of other schools and players that would’ve been in the same boat. MLB isn’t just going to start catering to seniors when they haven’t for decades. Do you really want guys to lose out on potentially life altering money for something they had no control over?
Further... the NCAA was addressing all spring SAs. Not just baseball players. Crappy situation... but the % of SAs impacted by professional athlete contract implications is pretty small. Also... if I understand it appears they did leave all the hard decisions to individual schools. I suppose that is a good thing.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
It sucks.
Help me understand how Fresh/Soph were affected.
They still all benefited from the Fall, prep, strength and position coach, nutritionist for the last 7+ months. and the experience of prep for Spring and whatever reps they got and practice of Spring - not ideal of full season but they didn't lose a year and you can't tell me they didn't improve over the last 7 months. Every single one of them.

They lost 3 months, if that. Yes I'm focused on just baseball and not the other sports, but it does put undo pressure on Schools and programs. Fingers crossed Football still happens and schools can make some money. It gets real ugly real quick if Football season if affected.

I do agree the NCAA has to focus on students and education, not the Draft. That is a MLB issue. However, if only 10% get drafted from College a much smaller pool of folks affected vs the 90% that need to move on in life. (Again baseball only). Help me understand the affects to the other spring sports?

It's still up to the programs, etc. and eligibility doesn't mean a spot or scholarship if they don't lift the 11.7. Still doesn't mean a school could fund it.

The senior thing, I get, I do. But given the small number of senior players on rosters at MOST schools...(again baseball) this creates a huge mess for not a lot of people.

Disappointed....

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It sucks.
They still all benefited from the Fall, prep, strength and position coach, nutritionist for the last 7+ months. and the experience of prep for Spring and whatever reps they got and practice of Spring - not ideal of full season but they didn't lose a year and you can't tell me they didn't improve over the last 7 months. Every single one of them.

They lost 3 months, if that. Yes I'm focused on just baseball and not the other sports, but it does put undo pressure on Schools and programs. Fingers crossed Football still happens and schools can make some money. It gets real ugly real quick if Football season if affected.

I do agree the NCAA has to focus on students and education, not the Draft. That is a MLB issue. However, if only 10% get drafted from College a much smaller pool of folks affected vs the 90% that need to move on in life. (Again baseball only). Help me understand the affects to the other spring sports?

It's still up to the programs, etc. and eligibility doesn't mean a spot or scholarship if they don't lift the 11.7. Still doesn't mean a school could fund it.

The senior thing, I get, I do. But given the small number of senior players on rosters at MOST schools...(again baseball) this creates a huge mess for not a lot of people.

Disappointed....
Your points are right on target. It is a "no good answer" deal.

As for how underclassmen are impacted? It's very simple... their seasons were cut short (very short). Pulled right out from under them. No chance to be part of something special. (a milestone, conference championship, deep run in post-season) with their teammates. If NCAA had gone a different way (seniors only)... I'd understand. But again... no good solution.

The schools & ADs have some impactful decisions to make. You're right... if FB revenue is impacted significantly... uh oh.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
They were still part of the "team" and "family" and all that and everyone got better.
I'm not a participation trophy guy and was raised half full, so this year was still of huge value, adjusting to college, getting better coaching, nutrition, strength, position coaching, reps at the college level. Not a loss.
No one got it so it wasn't like some did and some didn't. No one did, so they're all in the same boat. How many fresh/soph were getting playing time at other schools (I know we had a ton), but still.

Fingers crossed for a decent draft and football revenue.
Wasn't there talk of basketball revenue insurance or something, yet GT did pick a great year to serve their post season suspension.

Less HS will draft, which means more show up. Less Juniors will draft, which means more show up.

Lots of rumbles of D1 guys going JUCO and more direct route to draft on Twitter, etc. (due to playing time???) We'll see how real that is and turns out to be....

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It sucks.

Disappointed....
Freshmen and sophomores, like everyone else, lost a season. It’s not like they’re forcing anyone to play 5 years. I’m sure there’s a good chunk of them that will decide to call it quits after 4 seasons and they’ll have either graduated, or have jobs lined up and waiting on them to graduate in the spring of what would be their 5th year of eligibility.

Now, I’m going to make an assumption here that may sound personal, and in a way it’s going to be. I’m not trying to take a shot at you or your family, because y’all are going to be joining the Georgia Tech family very soon. But is the reason you’re so against this because of the possible repercussions it may have regarding your son’s playing time when he arrives on campus? Because if not, I’m not sure why you would be so against it. In fact, you may be the only person I’ve seen openly speak against the prospect of all spring athletes retaining their year of lost eligibility. Why else would you be so adamant that it’s time for everyone not involved in the draft to move on? In no way am I saying you shouldn’t be concerned about your son’s future. But if that’s the reason you’re so against this notion, I simply hope you’re able to take a step back and look at how many other people this is going to affect. Yes, MLB draft eligible juniors who would’ve lost money because of this lost season are in a very acute minority of people affected. Does that mean they shouldn’t be taken into account? What about athletes in sports like soccer, golf, lacrosse, tennis, track and field, softball? Do they not get to live out their dreams? I actually don’t think many people will opt to use their 5th year of eligibility anyway. Probably less than 30% of anyone who will be granted a 5th year will use it, that’s both seniors this year, and all other classes in the future. But does that mean they shouldn’t have the opportunity to continue to live out their dream? Just like you said, coming back doesn’t guarantee a roster spot or a scholarship, and everyone is going to be competing for the same spots on the field.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
All good, Seriously no offense taking or worries here.
I'm not adamant just because of us coming in. I have all the confidence in the world it won't affect my son's playing time much, if any.
He dominated as a Freshman at 14 against 17-18 olds when he was 175 lbs.
He's now 6'4"+ 196 lbs and throwing low 90s. Should be mid 90s this summer and sit mid 90s next year and should be 200-215 by graduation.
He's very lucky and he knows it. He's continuing to work hard and stay in shape and work his craft.

But I also understand the math behind the ramifications to schools and programs and I would see some programs not being able to afford sports.
I feel back for the Ivys and those schools that don't allow 5th years.

I'm in analytics, so I see a lot of moving parts and ramifications that affect a lot of people, programs, and families....

Gotta run, try to be back later....

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I listened to the CDH interview... from today. Very short. No new news:

- He described how the season ended & his regret at not getting face to face closure (my word) with team because it all happened so fast. Mitigated some with ability to teleconference since with team.
- Discussed what could've been in 2020. He felt team was about to "hit its stride" when things were shut down. [My comment.... maybe... and I'd hope he'd think so & say that]
- Discussed the unknowns with implications of MLB draft. He did not shed any light on specifics with GT baseball. Just affirmed what we all agree on... this unprecedented situation has created problems for every player & team.

Only about 7 minutes on air. Most everything he said was a repeat of things I've heard or read from him before over last month or so.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Still going thru it, but a good watch with a lot of coaches across D1.
They get into seniors coming back 24 min mark or so...
good information on Draft, roster management.
Should shake itself out next year.
Good stuff!