2020 Baseball - Postseason

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Help me out here. Intuitively, I'm thinking this is good for any current or perspective D1 baseball player. But I'd imagine this is a bigger "help" to some programs over others. I saw another tweet saying this would be good news to Miami. What about Tech?

This essentially puts every school on equal playing fields with private schools who are able to manipulate their scholarship numbers because of their private status. Vandy is the most notable of these, but it’s also true with TCU, Stanford, and others.

Georgia schools and other states with a HOPE equivalent will have their advantage diminished a little bit because of this also. Simply because it will allow schools and teams to give more money to more players without it counting against the 11.7. The old rules stated that any “need based” money granted by the school counted against 11.7 regardless of whether or not it was specified as a baseball scholarship. This new rule allows “need based” money to be free from the 11.7 restriction.

For example, a player who got a 50% “need based” scholarship from the school counted for 1/2 a scholarship against 11.7 regardless. Now, that same 50% need based scholly doesn’t count, and the team can give him 25% on top, so the player now has 75% of a full ride while using less from the 11.7 pool.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This essentially puts every school on equal playing fields with private schools who are able to manipulate their scholarship numbers because of their private status. Vandy is the most notable of these, but it’s also true with TCU, Stanford, and others.

Georgia schools and other states with a HOPE equivalent will have their advantage diminished a little bit because of this also. Simply because it will allow schools and teams to give more money to more players without it counting against the 11.7. The old rules stated that any “need based” money granted by the school counted against 11.7 regardless of whether or not it was specified as a baseball scholarship. This new rule allows “need based” money to be free from the 11.7 restriction.

For example, a player who got a 50% “need based” scholarship from the school counted for 1/2 a scholarship against 11.7 regardless. Now, that same 50% need based scholly doesn’t count, and the team can give him 25% on top, so the player now has 75% of a full ride while using less from the 11.7 pool.

In the end it helps more college baseball players while hurting none. I like it.

As to GT, our Hope advantage will be reduced but we still have enough other baseball program and "Institute" advantages that it shouldn't matter much.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
In the end it helps more college baseball players while hurting none. I like it.

As to GT, our Hope advantage will be reduced but we still have enough other baseball program and "Institute" advantages that it shouldn't matter much.
Very true. One of the first moves by the NCAA in a long time that actually helps promote college baseball. The next step should be adding a 3rd paid coach, followed by increasing the scholarship limit to 17.5. With the MiLB business model becoming less stable, hopefully college baseball will be able to pick up some slack when it comes to signing and developing talent.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
HOPE still helps GA schools recruit in-state and does help give those schools more of 11.7 for out of staters, given the in-staters get mostly HOPE, assuming they're carrying 3.0 GPA or higher, right?

The needs-based is a great benefit for all schools and allows baseball to better leverage the 11.7.

The scary part at GT and other HA (High Academic) school is the academic rigor. That is a detractor for those great ballers on the GPA or academic bubble. That's where the other, state schools come in and grab kids.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Buried in today's ACC release is this baseball info.... I assume "competition" only means... the 2 fall games against outside competition.

Fall competition in the sports of men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s tennis, rowing, men’s and women’s lacrosse, softball and baseball has been canceled