2020 Atlanta Braves News

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I posted in the GT baseball forum yesterday (see below). I underestimated the amount of "maneuvering" that would follow the agreement from March (in principle) between the players and MLB. It is May now... this is likely to turn into a serious hardball "negotiation" between the players and MLB.

BTW... it sounds like the DH will be universal for this 2020 season. I don't like the DH; but will admit I think the Nationals may benefit... relative to other teams. I say that with very little real analysis. Just a feeling given their roster makeup.

From my baseball forum post:
I was somewhat optimistic we'd see MLB start up in July with the "only" (relative term) obstacle being figuring out how to protect personnel from the virus while playing in empty stadiums.
I wrongly assumed the deal (in principle) they hammered out a couple of months ago with prorated salaries was logical & incentivized getting back to playing was the plan. I was not considering the owners & MLB's proposal here would be a revenue sharing thing.
This is officially REALLY complicated & these negotiations are likely to be drawn out.... & THEN we can see if all parties agree it's safe.
Oh well... GO NASCAR! Left turns this Sunday. Rubbin's Racin'

@YellowJacketFan2018 You have said you don't want a season with only 80 or so games. Why is that? I'm don't care if it is 10 games or just a 30-team playoff (nobody is suggesting this)... but I'll take any baseball over none.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I posted in the GT baseball forum yesterday (see below). I underestimated the amount of "maneuvering" that would follow the agreement from March (in principle) between the players and MLB. It is May now... this is likely to turn into a serious hardball "negotiation" between the players and MLB.

BTW... it sounds like the DH will be universal for this 2020 season. I don't like the DH; but will admit I think the Nationals may benefit... relative to other teams. I say that with very little real analysis. Just a feeling given their roster makeup.

I was somewhat optimistic we'd see MLB start up in July with the "only" (relative term) obstacle being figuring out how to protect personnel from the virus while playing in empty stadiums.
I wrongly assumed the deal (in principle) they hammered out a couple of months ago with prorated salaries was logical & incentivized getting back to playing was the plan. I was not considering the owners & MLB's proposal here would be a revenue sharing thing.
This is officially REALLY complicated & these negotiations are likely to be drawn out.... & THEN we can see if all parties agree it's safe.

@YellowJacketFan2018 You have said you don't want a season with only 80 or so games. Why is that? I'm don't care if it is 10 games or just a 30-team playoff (nobody is suggesting this)... but I'll take any baseball over none.
I would rather just start up in February and have a 162 game season.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I know my opinion on this topic is meaningless, but I don’t like a 14 team playoff. I’d rather have a tournament like my softball teams played in, at Al Bishop(you know like classes A,B,C, D). NOT! It’s absurd to decide anything in a weekend, other than getting some excersise with a little competition.
I’m with @YellowJacketFan2018 concerning the February, 2021 start up. Although, I will follow, listen and watch the games that I can get on the ESPN channels. What else can we do? Taking up dancing with the female neighbor.

Rumor on sports radio today that the Players Association might protest an early July start. Another bargaining chip at a time people need a little entertainment, probably?

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I know my opinion on this topic is meaningless, but I don’t like a 14 team playoff. I’d rather have a tournament like my softball teams played in, at Al Bishop(you know like classes A,B,C, D). NOT! It’s absurd to decide anything in a weekend, other than getting some excersise with a little competition.
I’m with @YellowJacketFan2018 concerning the February, 2021 start up. Although, I will follow, listen and watch the games that I can get on the ESPN channels. What else can we do? Taking up dancing with the female neighbor.

Rumor on sports radio today that the Players Association might protest an early July start. Another bargaining chip at a time people need a little entertainment, probably?
I agree that's way too many playoff teams:rolleyes:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
https://www.newsweek.com/pro-baseba...oronavirus-shutdown-some-4775-per-day-1495374
———————————————————————————————————
Some of the MLB proposals -
- only play the teams in your division and the corresponding AL division
- 30 man roster plus a 20 man taxi squad.
- revenue split between the owners and players
- 14 teams in the playoffs
- if a team can not play at home, they can choose to share another team's ball park or play at their spring training facilities.
- teams can do spring training at home or at their spring training facilities
-DH in both leagues

GT_EE78

Banned

This sounds to be along the same lines
>come on guys - don't negotiate til it's snowing!
> isn't that the name of a song?
Same as it ever was: MLB players and owners don’t agree
https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradl...-and-owners-don-agree/R8xka4XBmU69kdTWA2xjiI/

GT_EE78

Banned
> first I've heard of three regions this way (power rankings at link)(Braves #2 in east)
MLB Power Rankings: Who's the best team in each region? Yankees rule East; Astros, Dodgers battle in West
This proposal would have teams play an 82-game "regional" schedule.
That means the two East divisions would play each other, as would the Central and West. The traditional format of two leagues and six divisions would remain, but a regional schedule would essentially mean a team's slate would only feature nine different regular season opponents. It also seems certain that MLB will be installing a universal DH if there is a 2020 season.
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...kees-rule-east-astros-dodgers-battle-in-west/

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
One year ago today, we woke to these NL standings. Proof... that life does get better. ;)
IMG_20200524_085805_464.jpg

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
At the beginning of last season, I had Washington winning the division and Atlanta a close second. We know how things turned out, but I had to defend my picks at the end of May to my Ga.State baseball buddy. He thought I had taken up Crack. I told him that was “behind me.” My defense was the injuries the Nats. had suffered were enough to break a team like the Dodgers too. We were hitting in the cage before coronageddon and he admitted I was right. Told him about this site and how overjoyed it made Fred.
Hat is off to you Fred, if I start wearing hats again!