2020 Atlanta Braves News

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

GT_EE78

Banned
you've never heard of Felix Hernandez like at all?
I've never really kept up with seattle and rarely watch all-star games
i do recall them signing a mid 30's guy around spring training,must not have read up on his stats at that time,
and didn't know he had a cy young/perfect game/good career until looking up his stats just now.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I've never really kept up with seattle and rarely watch all-star games
i do recall them signing a mid 30's guy around spring training,must not have read up on his stats at that time,
and didn't know he had a cy young/perfect game/good career until looking up his stats just now.
yeah, probably argue he was seattles best pitcher ever

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
well hernandez has more strike outs for the mariners than johnson had.
i know those are terrible stats to go by in this day and age but he still leads in those. and he played about 5 years more with the mariners but yeah, id say he should be up there with johnson if not ahead as mariners best pitcher

GT_EE78

Banned
well hernandez has more strike outs for the mariners than johnson had.
i know those are terrible stats to go by in this day and age but he still leads in those. and he played about 5 years more with the mariners but yeah, id say he should be up there with johnson if not ahead as mariners best pitcher
So what % of his career was spent in Seattle versus Randy's % ?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
There was a 5 year stretch where Hernandez was the best pitcher in all of baseball imo. Just never got any recognition because he was in Seattle and never on a good team.

GT_EE78

Banned
There was a 5 year stretch where Hernandez was the best pitcher in all of baseball imo. Just never got any recognition because he was in Seattle and never on a good team.
So , who really cares about Seattle? I think i agree with you.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Braves outfielder Nick Markakis has opted out of playing this season, manager Brian Snitker announced to reporters this morning (Twitter link via Gabe Burns of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution). In doing so, he’ll forgo this year’s $4MM salary and the year of service time he’d have otherwise accrued.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just for fun... let's compare the Braves and Nationals AL East opponents. Since they play everyone in the NL East 10 times.. perhaps we can find that one team (Braves or Nationals) got SCREWED by the schedule makeup (isn't this a favorite GT fan pastime?) ;)

[Unless otherwise noted... even split of Home/Road games]
Nationals
6 x BAL
4 x TOR
4 x TB
3 x NYY (Home)
3 x BOS (Road)

Braves
6 x BOS
4 x NYY
4 x TB
3 x TOR (Home)
3 x BAL (Road)

I give the Nats the schedule advantage. All you have to look at is Baltimore, really. Plus... I 'think' it will be an advantage for Nationals to get NYY out of way opening weekend (at home). ...but I just assume pitching is ahead of hitting as we enter season and the Nationals will roll out Scherzer, Strasburg, Corbin v NYY.

Ok.. Braves friends (and true GT fans)... have at it. (y)

GT_EE78

Banned
Just for fun... let's compare the Braves and Nationals AL East opponents. Since they play everyone in the NL East 10 times.. perhaps we can find that one team (Braves or Nationals) got SCREWED by the schedule makeup (isn't this a favorite GT fan pastime?) ;)

[Unless otherwise noted... even split of Home/Road games]
Nationals
6 x BAL
4 x TOR
4 x TB
3 x NYY (Home)
3 x BOS (Road)

Braves
6 x BOS
4 x NYY
4 x TB
3 x TOR (Home)
3 x BAL (Road)

I give the Nats the schedule advantage. All you have to look at is Baltimore, really. Plus... I 'think' it will be an advantage for Nationals to get NYY out of way opening weekend (at home). ...but I just assume pitching is ahead of hitting as we enter season and the Nationals will roll out Scherzer, Strasburg, Corbin v NYY.

Ok.. Braves friends (and true GT fans)... have at it. (y)
yup, Nats have an edge there...I wonder if they realized that 4x5=20 and it could have been scheduled fairly and equally as an engineer would have done.
One must assume that accountants were involved.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
yup, Nats have an edge there...I wonder if they realized that 4x5=20 and it could have been scheduled fairly and equally as an engineer would have done.
One must assume that accountants were involved.
MLB schedules always have “natural rivals” built in for inter-league play during years the divisions don’t line up. That includes series like Yankees vs. Mets, Dodgers vs. Angels, Cubs vs. White Sox, etc which are played every year. That’s why the Braves got 6 games vs. the Red Sox and the Nats got 6 vs. the O’s.

GT_EE78

Banned
MLB schedules always have “natural rivals” built in for inter-league play during years the divisions don’t line up. That includes series like Yankees vs. Mets, Dodgers vs. Angels, Cubs vs. White Sox, etc which are played every year. That’s why the Braves got 6 games vs. the Red Sox and the Nats got 6 vs. the O’s.
i get the first three for sure but when haves Braves/ RedSox ever had any sort of rivalry?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
i get the first three for sure but when haves Braves/ RedSox ever had any sort of rivalry?
Well not every team has a great geographic matchup in the other league, although most of the matchups stay pretty true. In addition to the first 3 you’ve also got:
St. Louis vs. Kansas City
Cincinnati vs. Cleveland
San Francisco vs. Oakland
Miami vs. Tampa Bay
Milwaukee vs. Minnesota
Washington vs. Baltimore
That’s 9 of 15 matchups that are very well put together based on geography. There’s a couple of the other 6 that aren’t bad:
Pittsburgh vs. Detroit
Philadelphia vs. Toronto

Then there’s 3 that are pretty terrible:
San Diego vs. Seattle
Colorado vs. Houston
Arizona vs. Texas

Atlanta vs. Boston isn’t that bad compared to those 3. It’s 2 very old and very historic franchises, and although there isn’t much history between them, they did share a city for decades. Because of that, Boston probably makes more sense to consider a rival more so than any other AL team. Out of everyone the Yankees would probably be the best, but they’ve already got the Mets so Boston is the next best choice.