2020 Atlanta Braves News

herb

Helluva Engineer
The new "deal" reportedly has a stipulation for DH in 2020 and 2021. The CBA is up after 2021 and most of the reporters have said baseball as I love it, sans DH, is done. I swear, can they try any harder to push me away.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The new "deal" reportedly has a stipulation for DH in 2020 and 2021. The CBA is up after 2021 and most of the reporters have said baseball as I love it, sans DH, is done. I swear, can they try any harder to push me away.
I've tried several times in my life to "leave" baseball. My longest separation was the mid-90s after that work stoppage. At the time, I was a big Braves fan... had been all my life... and I screwed myself out of enjoying their World Series journey. :( I was sucked back in ...late that season as the Braves did their thing. Since then, I've managed to distance myself to different degrees; but ultimately, baseball lures me back. The DH thing bothers me too... but the writing is on the wall. No stopping it now.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
In the I told you so a page or two back...Strider was the first of the four picks to sign:
  • The Braves agreed to a full-slot deal with fourth-round pick Spencer Strider, tweetsMLB.com’s Jim Callis. The Clemson righty, who returned from Tommy John surgery early this spring, will receive $451,800. The 6’0″, 195-pound Strider posted a 19-to-3 K/BB ratio in 12 innings before the NCAA season was halted, and Callis notes that he hit 95 mph multiple times in his first few showings. Strider didn’t rank inside MLB.com’s Top 200 or Baseball America’s Top 500, although that’s perhaps not much of a surprise given that he missed the entire 2019 season recovering from surgery. The Atlanta organization clearly liked what it saw in his brief return this spring — brief as it may have been.
  • MLBPA has countered with a 70 game schedule.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The Braves have agreed to a a $2,197,500 bonus with first-round selection Jared Shuster, according to MLB.com’s Jim Callis (Twitter link). The Wake Forest southpaw was selected 25th overall, which came with a $2,740,300 pool allocation.

The Atlanta organization has also locked up its third-round choice, Jesse Franklin, Callis tweets. The Michigan outfielder also came in underslot, with a $497,500 bonus that’s six figures shy of the $599,100 price point. Elder should be offered the remainder of the bonus pool money.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
  • The Braves went well over-slot to sign fifth-rounder Bryce Elder. He’ll receive $850K, far north of the $336,600 allocation that came with the 156th overall pick.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Sports talk radio local to Atlanta, spoke yesterday about the players throwing health matter concerns in the discussion to get more leverage through the negotiation process. The union wants more games, and full pay. If stadiums are empty or reduced , staggered seating takes place later on(which I personally don’t see happening with Covid-20 on the way), MLB(owners )won’t go for that.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
At this stage, I think they should just cancel the eason. But that's just my own opinion, colored by the fact that I am disgusted with both sides ....I have no desire to see baseball this year, and wonder if I will feel differently next spring. I'm not sure...

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Who would be the Braves' AL East "interleague rival"? The Nationals get Baltimore... I assume.

https://theathletic.com/1889615/202...other-new-wrinkles?source=user-shared-article

The Schedule
In an effort to minimize travel as much as possible, teams will play all 60 games only against their own division and the corresponding interleague division. Those 60 games will be laid out this way:

• VERSUS OWN DIVISION: Every team will play 10 games apiece against each of the other four teams in its division, for a total of 40 games. Those games would largely be broken down into three-game and two-game series.

• VERSUS INTERLEAGUE DIVISION: Each club will play a total of 20 games against the corresponding interleague division (i.e., East versus East, Central versus Central, West versus West). Six of those games would be against a team’s interleague “rival” (Yankees-Mets, Cubs-White Sox, etc.). The breakdown of the other 14 games has yet to be finalized, but is expected to involve each team playing two interleague opponents three times apiece and the other two clubs four times apiece.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Who would be the Braves' AL East "interleague rival"? The Nationals get Baltimore... I assume.

https://theathletic.com/1889615/202...other-new-wrinkles?source=user-shared-article

The Schedule
In an effort to minimize travel as much as possible, teams will play all 60 games only against their own division and the corresponding interleague division. Those 60 games will be laid out this way:

• VERSUS OWN DIVISION: Every team will play 10 games apiece against each of the other four teams in its division, for a total of 40 games. Those games would largely be broken down into three-game and two-game series.

• VERSUS INTERLEAGUE DIVISION: Each club will play a total of 20 games against the corresponding interleague division (i.e., East versus East, Central versus Central, West versus West). Six of those games would be against a team’s interleague “rival” (Yankees-Mets, Cubs-White Sox, etc.). The breakdown of the other 14 games has yet to be finalized, but is expected to involve each team playing two interleague opponents three times apiece and the other two clubs four times apiece.
It would either be the Red Sox or the Blue Jays. Mets get the Yankees, Marlins get the Rays, and like you said, Nats get the Orioles. That leaves Phillies or Braves vs. Jays or Sox.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
From MLBTR:
Left-hander Cole Hamels, one of the Braves’ key offseason acquisitions, dealt with shoulder irritation during the first version of spring training a few months ago. If not for the coronavirus forcing camp to shut down, and if the regular season would have started on schedule, Hamels would not have been ready to open 2020 in the Braves’ rotation. That’s no longer the case, though.