2020 Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I guess there is a chance, on Mookie for Atlanta. Might be a better chance if Camargo and Riley hit the skids, we trade for Kris Bryant before July expires(Cubs might want more than Austin Riley and Ian Anderson by then).

If Betts doesn’t go to LA or SD, I’m bett-ing he’s in Boston until June, at the least. He passed his physical in the deal between Minn./Boston/Dodgers. The catch is that L.A. must take Price now and trade with the Red Sox straight up or find a third partner again.

I’m still mulling over the information Fred brought us tonight. Not sure how I feel about 14 teams? Seems like Hockey and NBA have kept that similar format, never switching back all of these years. I still think the Regular Season should be reduced.
I remember having tryouts at Pleasantdale Park in early January the first year I joined up. Ice on the ground, with gloves on it felt like bees were stinging me. Lucky the former MLB coach selected me first and then “froze” me the next two years, so I didn’t have to keep hitting & fielding in below 32 degree weather in the outdoors. I would think the average player would rather play in a warmer climate.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I guess there is a chance, on Mookie for Atlanta. Might be a better chance if Camargo and Riley hit the skids, we trade for Kris Bryant before July expires(Cubs might want more than Austin Riley and Ian Anderson by then).

If Betts doesn’t go to LA or SD, I’m bett-ing he’s in Boston until June, at the least. He passed his physical in the deal between Minn./Boston/Dodgers. The catch is that L.A. must take Price now and trade with the Red Sox straight up or find a third partner again.

I’m still mulling over the information Fred brought us tonight. Not sure how I feel about 14 teams? Seems like Hockey and NBA have kept that similar format, never switching back all of these years. I still think the Regular Season should be reduced.
I remember having tryouts at Pleasantdale Park in early January the first year I joined up. Ice on the ground, with gloves on it felt like bees were stinging me. Lucky the former MLB coach selected me first and then “froze” me the next two years, so I didn’t have to keep hitting & fielding in below 32 degree weather in the outdoors. I would think the average player would rather play in a warmer climate.
I wouldn't give up most of the Braves top farm hands for Mookie Betts

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I would give up 2 of the top 5! If that happens I think we would be at the very least in the top 4 of all mlb!

Wait, so is the deal done or not? If not, I'd give up 3 of the 5. Why not?

This is empty box thinkin'. Y'all know the Family Guy skit.

"I can have a boat or an empty box? Gimme the box. It could be anything ... it could be a boat!"

STTE

If any of these "prospects" ends up 75% of the player Betts supposedly is, it won't happen for another 3-4 years. Half of us won't be alive that long. :cigar:

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Buzz, do you think Riley has had enough off season batting coached to come back where can be very good hitting slow pitches? I wish Chipper could have been with him a good bit! If he can hit all the pitchers this year then who cares if we did not Betts or Rendon!!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I’m an Austin Riley fan, Jayparr. All the great ones had adjustment periods the first year or two. Look at Sandy Koufax(I know he was a pitcher), it took him until 27 y.o.

If Riley can keep his hands back, and elbow placement raised up and parallel with his back leg distribution to remain in sync or steady, by not fading or pushing, but allowing his front left leg to lead in his stride, he will find success. The less movement in the back of the box, the better. He never complained last year about the hip injury as his numbers were going down. It messed his mechanics up, as well as bending or reaching/lunging at the breaking stuff off the plate. I’m glad he got straightened out during the off season. He’s young in his very early 20’s and Camargo isn’t much older, either. Johan took this time to get serious and he went to the G.M. to reassure him, he is all in.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I’m an Austin Riley fan, Jayparr. All the great ones had adjustment periods the first year or two. Look at Sandy Koufax(I know he was a pitcher), it took him until 27 y.o.

If Riley can keep his hands back, and elbow placement raised up and parallel with his back leg distribution to remain in sync or steady, by not fading or pushing, but allowing his front left leg to lead in his stride, he will find success. The less movement in the back of the box, the better. He never complained last year about the hip injury as his numbers were going down. It messed his mechanics up, as well as bending or reaching/lunging at the breaking stuff off the plate. I’m glad he got straightened out during the off season. He’s young in his very early 20’s and Camargo isn’t much older, either. Johan took this time to get serious and he went to the G.M. to reassure him, he is all in.
Loved your reply!!! By the way you sound like player not just a fan!!! What kind of playing back ground do you have!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Loved your reply!!! By the way you sound like player not just a fan!!! What kind of playing back ground do you have!
Around 20 years. Started in Korey league in Miami at 4. Then KLand. Little league. Babe Ruth. High School. In college I got stuck, when a knee injury wouldn’t allow me to pass a physical exam to play. At 16, I was offered a contract with an 8k bonus out of a tryout camp in Dekalb County. The Cards wanted me to report to rookie ball and get a GED. I said: no thanks.I always played SS or CF. No place else. Batting titles, Captain, League MVP. Absolutely my favorite sport to play or watch.
I still hit in the batting cage every month. The day that I can’t hit or see the stitches on a two or four seamer, I’ll probably stop. Will be 61 in August. Walter Banks turns 81 this July and he’s still going strong. My buddy Bill Madden is 85, working for the Gwinnett Stripers. The AAA team for the Atlanta Braves.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
The Braves have re-signed righty Josh Tomlin, MLB.com’s Mark Bowman was among those to cover on Twitter. It’s a minor-league deal.

Recently inked Braves lefty Cole Hamels isn’t reporting to camp just yet, the team informed reporters including David O’Brien of The Athletic (Twitter links). He’ll remain at home for a stretch after experiencing shoulder irritation this winter.

I hope the Braves didn't waste their money signing a hurt pitcher who will be on IR on and off all season.:grumpy: Could this be Cole Hamels=Len Barker?:vomit::banghead::rolleyes::grumpy:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
It’s rumored he could miss all of April, but Keuchel didn’t pitch in MLB for a few months last year.
If they re-evaluate Cole in 3 weeks...and he can begin throwing should he have the green light...then, it’s mid to late March when he pitches in a ST game. Starts season on IL for 15 days and rehabs a few starts in Gwinnett to build up arm strength, and is ready to pitch before the middle of April. That’s about when we will need to have a 5th starter. I’m feeling pretty good at that juncture, knowing his history as a competitor.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
It’s rumored he could miss all of April, but Keuchel didn’t pitch in MLB for a few months last year.
If they re-evaluate Cole in 3 weeks...and he can begin throwing should he have the green light...then, it’s mid to late March when he pitches in a ST game. Starts season on IL for 15 days and rehabs a few starts in Gwinnett to build up arm strength, and is ready to pitch before the middle of April. That’s about when we will need to have a 5th starter. I’m feeling pretty good at that juncture, knowing his history as a competitor.
Yeah, I'm not worried about Hamels. Even if he doesn't work out, it's only a 1 year deal and he can mentor Fried and Newcomb.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
A little known obscure rule change for 2020(not sure it impacts the speed of the game much, however it will create a faster decision or the appeal will expire quickly):
  • Reduction in Challenge Time: Managers will now have up to 20 seconds to challenge a play instead of 30.