2020 Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The Braves have lost their past 10 postseason series and 12 of their past 13. (The last time the Braves won a postseason series, Acuña was 2 years old.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The Braves have lost their past 10 postseason series and 12 of their past 13. (The last time the Braves won a postseason series, Acuña was 2 years old.

How often in that stretch have they had one of the best farm systems in baseball?

Braves gonna mess 'round and be the uGA of baseball celebrating all these mythical titles(sic).

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
How often in that stretch have they had one of the best farm systems in baseball?

Braves gonna mess 'round and be the uGA of baseball celebrating all these mythical titles(sic).

Other than the past few years, I’m not sure they’ve had a top 2 or 3 farm system since 2001. The 2005-06 years were Atlanta’s second best until 2017-18, producing many MLB talents. Before the Teixeira trade in 2007, the Braves had to be in the top 5 conversation, definetly top 10. Like the recent times, they filled the 40 man with talent, made a few bad deals and then the gut job by Frank Wrenn.

They're fortunate the International penalties have not hurt them too much. Their Amateur Drafts and scouting have been solid if not spectacular in recent times. Naturally, it will take some more time to see what the recent drafts have produced. In Professional baseball, it takes between 5-7 years to get a feel of how a draft turned out.

Last edited:

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Other than the past few years, I’m not sure they’ve had a top 2 or 3 farm system since 2001. The 2005-06 years were Atlanta’s second best until 2017-18, producing many MLB talents. Before the Teixeira trade in 2007, the Braves had to be in the top 5 conversation, definetly top 10. Like the recent times, they filled the 40 man with talent, made a few bad deals and then the gut job by Frank Wrenn.

They're fortunate the International penalties have not hurt them too much. Their Amateur Drafts and scouting have been solid if not spectacular in recent times. Naturally, it will take some more time to see what the recent drafts have produced. In Professional baseball, it takes between 5-7 years to get a feel of how a draft turned out.
Yeah the Braves are fortunate they didn't get hit hard for that:cigar:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Also... once in postseason, I think there is a lack of appreciation for fans for just how tight the parity is. When teams consistently get to postseason, then lose in Rd1 or Rd2... the fanbase seems to think "something is missing" ...like the other team (the Champ) had some distinct talent or managerial advantage. IMO... that is never the case. Baseball is a finicky little mother, and one team will win & one will lose each series. We fans come up with all kinds of explanations when the only real explanation is it's not explainable... at least not as simply as having a player you could've/should've acquired some months earlier.

The Braves are doing it correctly for long term... sustained relevance. If they stay on this track... they'll get to many postseasons & you hope the breaks fall your way.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Fred, the Nationals have had success with International players. Because of the age of the team, at 31 on avg., the Farm System in the lower quadrant of MLB, what systems has Washington put in place to foresee the future challenges? New scouts both domestic & internationally? Different direction with drafting, such as more college, less high school? For instance: Atlanta has extra scouts, fewer cross-checking relationships.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Per MLBTR:

It’s mostly of historical interest at this point, but the Reds’ pursuit of Marcell Ozuna was perhaps more spirited than was known at the time. The Cincinnati club offered him a three-year, $50MM contract, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network (Twitter link).

They went on to sign Nick Castellanos for 4/64 m.(both parties can opt out after 2 years).

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think the Braves will be sitting pat with their minor league prospects for another season or two

I think you're right but that forces me to quote some weirdo ....

This is what standing pat gets you. Maybe we should try kicking pat?