2020 Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Bc he only has 1 year left. If we could do it w/out giving up Pache or Waters I may be interested
I’m concerned about giving up guys like Wright, Wilson, Anderson, Muller and the stud pitchers. When you try to trade for an ace(which one or more could be), it is even more costly than an OF. I do love Pache & Waters, too!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just a curious question for you. What is your threshold for "worth it"?
1) Making playoffs with 90ish wins
2) Winning NL East & losing NLDS
3) Winning NL East & losing NLCS
4) Losing WS
5) Winning WS

NOT picking on you... I like to play this what if game when fans talk about risk/reward. Obviously... there is another option specific to Betts where he balls out & Braves for other reasons come up short.

"Worth it" for me is a gray area. It's all about how we end the season. It's art, not science.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Rosenthal makes it sound like the NL East is already a dogfight. He quotes a prediction of NL East win totals:
Braves: 89.4 wins
Mets: 88.1
Nationals: 87.8
Phillies: 84.6
Marlins: 63.4

A 4 horse race... & a tight one. That's his jumping off point in this article for perhaps a fight for trading Bryant (& Arenado) among those 4 teams.

Another tidbit:
Wins Above Replacement at third base, according to Fangraphs:
Mets: 3.1 (13th in majors)
Nationals: 2.2 (20th)
Braves: 1.8 (26th)
Phillies: 1.4 (29th)

Then he basically says in order for any team to do this... they'll bust into luxury tax territory. Something none of them have been willing to do, historically.

https://theathletic.com/1574788/202...h-team-wants-to-make-it?source=shared-article

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Rosenthal makes it sound like the NL East is already a dogfight. He quotes a prediction of NL East win totals:
Braves: 89.4 wins
Mets: 88.1
Nationals: 87.8
Phillies: 84.6
Marlins: 63.4

A 4 horse race... & a tight one. That's his jumping off point in this article for perhaps a fight for trading Bryant (& Arenado) among those 4 teams.

Another tidbit:
Wins Above Replacement at third base, according to Fangraphs:
Mets: 3.1 (13th in majors)
Nationals: 2.2 (20th)
Braves: 1.8 (26th)
Phillies: 1.4 (29th)

Then he basically says in order for any team to do this... they'll bust into luxury tax territory. Something none of them have been willing to do, historically.

https://theathletic.com/1574788/202...h-team-wants-to-make-it?source=shared-article
Add around 10 wins to the Braves total and 1-2 to the Nationals total along with 4 to the Phillies total

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
First, I don't think it'd decimate their farm to aqcuire Betts though it would certainly be costly.

Second, I'd say it's easier to rebuild the farm than it is to acquire an mvp-level player in his prime.

Last, I remember the Texiera trade so I know the risk. I just think we're close enough that the risk would be worth it.
Im in the Waters, Pache, Acuna outfield for next 8 years camp.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
If we make a trade it should be for a 3b. Im hoping Riley locks it down and we can forget about 3b. Every person ever has struggled at some point so I think everyones over reacting to Rileys struggles. Ozzie was same way 2nd half of his first year and he bounced back fine. I love how AA has been so patient and not forced/rushed into any trades just to be able to say he made a splash.

Were so close to getting to see the finishedproduct. Not this year but Next year should be the start of the Waters, Pache, Acuna outfield. Which should be incredible once they adjust. If Riley bounces back we will have everytgibg covered and still have all of our prospects and thats when you can truly make that trade for the 1 missing piece to take you over the top. Would be a shame to rush it at the end for a piece we lose after the year.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
If we make a trade it should be for a 3b. Im hoping Riley locks it down and we can forget about 3b. Every person ever has struggled at some point so I think everyones over reacting to Rileys struggles. Ozzie was same way 2nd half of his first year and he bounced back fine. I love how AA has been so patient and not forced/rushed into any trades just to be able to say he made a splash.

Were so close to getting to see the finishedproduct. Not this year but Next year should be the start of the Waters, Pache, Acuna outfield. Which should be incredible once they adjust. If Riley bounces back we will have everytgibg covered and still have all of our prospects and thats when you can truly make that trade for the 1 missing piece to take you over the top. Would be a shame to rush it at the end for a piece we lose after the year.
I really like Riley, but he is going to be a guy that hits .230-.250 with 30-40 HR and 200+ Ks. That's something that I can live with if he plays solid defense. Like you, I'm excited for an outfield of Pache, Waters and Acuna. That could be the best OF in the league.

I still say though that if we can get Arenado, then you get him. I would just make Anderson and one of Pache, Waters untouchable. Any other prospect would be on the table.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

This is all fair and very well-stated. Never good to rush the rebuild.

Perhaps the recent success has clouded me to the fact that this is indeed a rebuild in process.

Perhaps I should be more patient.

But ... who would I be if I can no longer be the 'he hates Riley' guy? :(

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I really like Riley, but he is going to be a guy that hits .230-.250 with 30-40 HR and 200+ Ks. That's something that I can live with if he plays solid defense. Like you, I'm excited for an outfield of Pache, Waters and Acuna. That could be the best OF in the league.

I still say though that if we can get Arenado, then you get him. I would just make Anderson and one of Pache, Waters untouchable. Any other prospect would be on the table.
I could live with Austin Riley being another Dave Kingman:cigar:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The Braves still have not been victorious in a playoff series since 2001. Not to be negative, but I’m happy we’ve kept the Farm System in place through January.
————————————————————————————————————————-
In other news, the Angels have given Luiz Gohara an non-roster invitee opportunity.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
The Braves still have not been victorious in a playoff series since 2001. Not to be negative, but I’m happy we’ve kept the Farm System in place through January.
————————————————————————————————————————-
In other news, the Angels have given Luiz Gohara an non-roster invitee opportunity.
I would rather not burn down the Braves Minor League System for one player:cigar:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Just after the Winter Meetings, Alex Anthopoulos said we have players that we can move...and we hope the other teams ask about...and other players we would have to be overwhelmed to move....and a few that we don’t want to even consider trading.